SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imhoff72

New front yard sunken patio after drainage failure disaster

J Inhof
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Last year our (30 year old) footer drains around the house failed and we experienced shockingly serious flood damage in the basement(especially given that we are situated on higher elevation). The replacement of the drains ravaged our lawn and gardens, and required demo-ing our porches, stoops and decks around the exterior of our house. It took more than a year to get the work done to this point (thanks to the Covid labor and materials shortage) , and I confess I miss my collection of perennials and my fountain garden, but we are 80% finished with at least our new ’front patio’ and some of the plants are in bloom now, so I thought I would share a few ‘before and after’ pics.

I was an avid perennial and organic gardener in the classical tradition, but since we are now ’aging in place’ we commissioned our landscape designer, John Devore of Land and Water Gardens, who I found here on Houzz, to create a low maintenance, more modern and ’millennial looking’ front yard design, that was pollinator and bird friendly. He suggested a sunken/secret patio so that we could enjoy the morning sun and our wooded property. Installation was done by Ben Necessary of Native Roots, here in Cincinnati. We are still working on other parts of the installation, but here are a few pics of the before and aft of the patio:

BEFORE, My traditional perennial fountain garden:

As much as I loved my gardens, they were really too much to take care of, and the drainage disaster forced me to go in a different ’easy maintenance’ direction.

DRAINAGE DISASTER DEMO PIC (Actually bull dozers came in and tore out the whole yard, all shrubs and several trees and porches. Made me cry).:

OK, demo was sad, but the drains had to be re-installed all around the perimeter. A company called Jayco did the drainage work. I will post the ’after’ pic of this part of the yard where we installed the patio in the next post.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting