SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_154965372

Hard fungus in root crown of 100yr old water oak with Maitake

HU-154965372
2 years ago

Last year I decided to uncover about a foot of soil covering my backyard red oak roots. Once the root crown was exposed, the tree seemed to be doing much better this year. So this spring I decided to attack my 'round 100 year old water oak roots. I had it trimmed recently, and the arborist (who I can't seem to get to come back and answer this question for a month now) told me that the tree was so diseased that he didn't want to give me either the firewood or the wood chips, else they reinfect or infect something else. So as I dug out the root crown of this 6' diameter tree, I came across stuff that I had seen growing around the roots over the years, and had pulled it up. But upon excavating, I came across much more of these really hard clumps of whitish clay, at first I wondered if someone had poured water left over from cement work (which is a possibility being that I unearthed car and bike parts, bottles, old metal cans, etc...). A lot of this stuff was really stuck hard onto the roots, so I was careful as possible not to destroy bark. Is this stuff I uncovered a fungus or something harmful? Maybe why the tree is diseased? FYI, this tree has also hosted large Maitake on the root crown for several years, and until last year I pulled them up. Then last year a guy walking by told me what they were and I ate the one or two left and they were delicious. And when I found that they were "worth their weight in silver" (according to Japanese legend), I was truly happy. But I'm wondering if this stuff I been digging up is "white butt rot" (for real...) Here's a quote - "Ecologically, finding Hen of the Woods (Maitake) is not a good sign for the oak tree host. The mushroom is parasitic, causing a white butt rot in the heartwood of the oak’s trunk and larger roots, which eventually leads to the tree’s decline and demise.

All of this damage is happening underground and inside the tree, where the mushroom’s mycelium (the thin branching filaments that do all the decay work) are found." So, unfortunately my delicious shrooms may be messin up my specimen tree. Boo. Can anyone ID this by photos (hard to really tell what they look like by photos, very hard, like a mixture of red clay and white watered down cement). Thank you.

Comments (3)