SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
creekylis

Anyone ever feel homesick for their previous home?

creekylis
15 years ago

I have been pouring through old photos for a project and I came across pics of our previous home that I took when I put it on the market. We lived there for 5 years and I did soooo much work to it. It was our second house, but the first one was built for us and we lived there such a short time (4 months!) that I never did anything to it besides buy a little bit of furniture. The second house was 14 years old when we bought it and I had to work very hard to make it "mine". I loved that house.

I thought about posting pics of my old place, but then I figured, why bother... it's not mine anymore and it's probably out of style now too.

Fast forward to our current home. We have lived here for 4 years now and I am still STRUGGLING to make it feel good. I used to knock projects out almost as fast as renofan... Now I just can't seem to get anything done. When we moved here, I had a 3 year old and 10 month old twins. My ability to tackle the decorating was severely stifled. I also didn't seem to have the time to brainstorm decorating ideas. Plus, I have a major lack of funds for any big changes.

Now, the kids are getting older, but I am back to work full time, so I still struggle to find any decorating moments. This house has many less-desirable elements too, such as luan doors instead of paneled, stained trim and no crown, vinyl kitchen floor instead of wood, etc. Add to that the plethora of "things" that come along with three kids, and I just feel like I am drowning. I miss my old place (which I finished literally just in time to list) terribly. Sometimes I just feel like giving up and repainting the whole place white.

I guess I just needed to vent... wonder if anyone else has ever gone through this and come out the other side okay.

Comments (58)