SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_johnson72

I need advice on choosing my kitchen flooring please?

Joseph Johnson
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm getting my house ready to sell in March of 2022. Due to some unforseen water damage, I've filed an insurance claim and I'm going to renovate my kitchen. Since it's such a major project, I'll have a gazillion questions before it's complete but for now, I'm focusing on the kitchen flooring.

1 - What's the best type of kitchen flooring to install with an eye towards resale value?

I love hardwood flooring but I don't consider that to be a wise option in the kitchen so I've decided not to put hardwood or laminate in the kitchen because they're not waterproof. Thus, I've narrowed it down to either porcelain tile or luxury vinyl planks. Between porcelain tile and luxury vinyl planks, which would you recommend?

2 - Here's the hard part for me - how do I select the colors for my flooring? I'm going to replace the flooring in the entire house but in order to save money, I'm willing to put a more expensive flooring in just the kitchen while I install either laminate or LVP in the rest of the house. How do I coordinate my flooring choices between the kitchen and the rest of my house? I have multiple levels but I'm replacing all the flooring on the main floor now and I'll probably just use carpet upstairs to save money. Should I choose LVP and use the same color in the entire main floor including the kitchen? If I choose porcelain tile in the kitchen and laminate or LVP in the rest of the house, then how do I select colors that don't clash? Is it true that I should never have a wood-looking tile in the kitchen and a wood-looking laminate or LVP in the rest of the main floor? If so, does this mean that my kitchen porcelain tile should have a stone tile look instead, so it won't clash with the wood look of the flooring in the rest of the house? My kitchen is in the center of the house so it will connect with the other flooring in three directions. I have a lot of natural sunlight coming into the kitchen.

I can't afford to put tile throughout the main floor. So my choices are to use LVP throughout the entire main floor so I'll have the same seamless flooring throughout or to use porcelain tile in the kitchen and the laminate or LVP in the other rooms. What's your advice? And if I do choose porcelain tile in the kitchen, do I have to go stone look tile in the kitchen? I'm definitely going wood look LVP or laminate through the rest of the house. Or can I have two contrasting wood-look floorings?

Thank you all so much in advance for your feedback and advice.

P.S. I'll add some photos of my kitchen but it's all torn up so I don't know how helpful these pics will be. I'm hoping to take the laundry nook out of the kitchen and build a separate laundry/mud room. I'm also wanting to tear down the top of one kitchen wall to let in my light from the windows in the front of the house. And a lot of the kitchen cabinets have been moved into the next room, along with the stainless steel stove and dishwasher. But in one photo, you'll see the color of the remaining kitchen cabinets (all the cabinets are the same color). After the kitchen renovation is done, I'll have to decide which color to paint the cabinets (I think the current stain and color looks too dated) and pick out all of the other colors but for now, I'm taking it a step at a time and choosing the flooring.

Comments (2)