SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithandriel

Crypton fabric for outside?

2 years ago

Has anyone used just the regular Crypton fabric outside?

I am aware that Crypton makes an outdoor line called "Crypton Outdoor", and that regular Crypton was not intended for outdoor use. However, I have two rolls of regular Crypton laying around and I was considering using it for a slip cover on a sofa that is out on my covered patio, and to redo cushions on a swing out there as well...

So I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so, how well did the fabric hold up?

Some extra information that I think I might get questions about:

• I don't need "waterproof", or even strong water resistance. I live in Arizona, and with the patio being covered, the fabric is never completely exposed to the very rare rain. It will get a bit wet from side-spray or the sprinklers. But at the moment, both of these pieces of furniture just have plain fabric on them - not even "outdoor" fabric.
  • The sofa fabric is a medium weight canvas-type woven fabric (from IKEA) and it has held up fine now for 5+ years or so (certainly in terms of fabric cohesion, not ripping or thinning, etc.). It is just stained from use and our dogs jumping up onto it. But we haven't had any issues with the cushions getting waterlogged or mildewed, etc.
  • The swing cushions: fabric is totally destroyed after maybe 3 years? It was WAY too thin, and did NOT stand up well to our dogs jumping up on it.
  • No, I am not interested in training my dogs to not jump on these pieces. They are not allowed on furniture inside, so the outside hangout time is their time to come cuddle with us on furniture that gets dusty and dirty anyway.

So, in an outdoor, "performance" type of fabric, my priorities are mostly that the fabric stands up well to abrasion and to the AZ heat and UV exposure (even though the patio is covered, these pieces do get direct sunlight from very late afternoon to sunset when the sun sinks below the patio roofline). Stain resistance (muddy paws, spilled beverages, etc.) would be a major bonus. Water repellency would be great too, but not necessarily a must.

That's why I was thinking that I could get away with just using the Crypton fabric I have on hand. It's tough and durable, and water-resistant. But, I do not know how the heat and sun would affect the fabric. I imagine that it wouldn't break down any more quickly than the fabrics already on these pieces... but with no experience, I could be way wrong about that.

Comment