SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_114030870

Putting Together a "TV/Guest Room/Office" Space

Angelique
2 years ago

Yes, it is that multi-purpose! :)

We have a daybed in this room because it's used as a bedroom pretty frequently, but we wanted the functionality of a sofa where we can sit and watch the TV that'll be getting put against the wall that's currently empty in the photo I'm posting.

Please ignore the huge variety of pillows and blankets! I'm testing them and trying to find a sweet spot where we'll be comfortable leaning against them, as well as working out a color scheme. Those huge white pillows will be going.

The painting that's currently sitting on the daybed will be getting put up over it, and I'm thinking we'll add sconces to either side of it as well (any ideas as to what will look best there would be great!).

The main thing I'm trying to narrow down, is the coffee table setup. Part of me wants an ottoman (or maybe two small ones?) that we can use to prop up our feet, and also place a tray upon to use as a solid surface. And another part of me wants something acrylic/translucent/interesting... I just don't know which direction to go with it.

The room is small, and is captured in its entirety in this photo. Again, left side is where the TV will be placed on a narrow stand.

Oh, and I realize there's quite a mix of styles going on here - this is so in every room of our home, and we like that look, so it's a non-issue for us. We aren't trying to fit into a design box; it's all a mix of antiques/traditional, transitional, nomad/boho, eclectic... or maybe it's just a mess to anyone with a trained eye. I don't know, but it's what we like. :)

Again, mainly looking for coffee table ideas.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Comments (40)

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Choose a coffee table with some storage and, since it appears this is going to be a high traffic room, choose one that is round or at least has rounded corners and legs that are beneath the table rather than a trip hazard.

Angelique thanked suezbell
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

30 x 50 x 19 / Antique Silver Finish with gold tint.

Magnussen Copia Cocktail Glass Table in Antique Silver with Gold Tint Gray · More Info

• Related Discussions

Trying to put my list together.

Q

Comments (4)
    I live in the same zone as you in Texas, and hope you have better luck with HBHMB than I did. It lasted one season then cratered on me. You might take a look at Firefly Frenzy at Marietta Gardens. They sent it to me as a bonus, and it is awesome. Stands tall and lights up the garden. Beautiful Edgings did very well for me. I have hesitated getting Shores of Time as I'm afraid it won't do well in our hot summers. Has anyone in our zone on the forum grown it successfully? Nancy
    ...See More

Putting words together

Q

Comments (3)
    I broke alot of needles at first, you will probably find it's a tension problem. I finally put my thread on a threadholder behind the machine. try a different stabilizer if you find a tension adjustment doesn't help your n's! It's all in the practice! I went thru alot of old pieces of muslin at first. I'm getting pretty good with it now...considering! LOL I also find the bobbin doesn't wind evenly, so I put my finger on the thread and manually move it so it winds evenly. Also, as an FYI! I have found after you do a couple of designs, tighten your needle again! Mine has fallen out a few times! And..today..my hoop fell apart! Check the screws and make sure they are tight! I guess all the vibration loosens everything up! Lisa
    ...See More

Is it a bad idea to put watermelon and strawberries together?

Q

Comments (4)
    Wow, that was a quick answer. Thanks! I guess my question is solved right there, but I hope others chime in on the perennial/annual issue. My guess would be to avoid disease. In the worst cases viral problems. For example Tomato ringspot virus has a wide variety of hosts. Many of which happen to be perennials, such as hydrangea and chrysanthemums, corms and bulbs too, I believe glads among others. TRV is pretty serious as it stunts and disfigures all new growth. Like it's name suggests, it is often found on tomatoes, so planting one infected by your mums would be a bad idea. Sometimes perennials too are already infected with milder viruses that we don't even notice, and whatever annuals we plant might turn out to be hosts too. Like I said, just my guess on what the reason could be, though.
    ...See More

Is 2 IBC tanks put together big enough for koi?

Q

Comments (3)
    You could keep some small koi in here for a little while but it's not big enough for even a single full sized koi. You would also need a lot of filtration, multiple 55 gallon drums. It could make a nice quarantine/treatment tank for koi if you had a proper pond. Otherwise you could keep goldfish in it. Roofing felt? Do you mean EPDM liner? You would have to line the inside of the totes if you cut one side off like that. The frame is needed for structure if you are going to cut into an IBC tote. Typically, a tote is only cut out at the top because there is no really good way to join them.
    ...See More
  • freedomplace1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here’s one idea: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/sand-stable-ura-tufted-ottoman-w000446823.html

Lightweight, easy to move around, also takes up minimal visual space with open design.

Angelique thanked freedomplace1
  • Angelique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love all of these ideas for different reasons!

suezbell: The ottoman idea has always appealed to me due to comfort, but I didn't like the visual heft of it... and I love round ottomans, but that shape doesn't seem to fit well there. Maybe I should be looking at ovals, but that's a tough shape for an ottoman.

I love the idea of a lightweight tufted-top bench! Don't know why I hadn't thought of it, but very cool - and we would probably want to move them around in that room, so the lightness would be a great benefit. Trays would fit on top for use as tables, and we could put our feet up on them when using the daybed as a sofa. Here's a quick photoshop - what do you ladies think? I'm amazed at how inexpensive they are, to boot; thanks for the idea, freedomplace1!

The glass table is very pretty here I think, I just don't know how practical it will be... and I am so in love with that marble table, but again, I think it might end up being too heavy and impractical in that space. Bummer, because I really do love the look, everdebz!

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

Glad you like it! Very versatile piece. I love the style. Sort of Industrial Chic; but can be used in any number of design/style setups. Your room is beautiful by the way. You have great taste! .

Maybe a silvery tray. :)

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/preston-rectangular-metal-serving-platter/s327283

Or to pick up on your gold:

https://www.westelm.com/m/products/small-rectangle-lacquer-trays-c347/?cm_src=rel

Angelique thanked freedomplace1
  • User
    2 years ago

I think I would do a lightweight rattan-wicker storage bench for a coffee table.

East at Main Zinnia Rattan Bench with Storage · More Info

I would move the floor lamp to the other side of the desk.

These are useful, and come in various sizes and colors. You can just remove them when guests are coming to use the bed, but they will make it more comfortable to watch TV.

Bed Rest Reading Wedge Pillow for Headboard Daybed Dorm Light Gray Linen Blend, 71x20x8 · More Info

If the artwork doesn’t have sentimental value, I would look to replace it with something more boho. You can probably easily find something to replace the inner image if you like the frame, but an appropriately sized framed piece wouldn’t be expensive

"Wick Fancy Hat Bands" Digital Paper Print by Vintage Sports, 50"x26" · More Info

Wild Apple Portfolio 'Geography Of The Heavens Light II' Canvas Art · More Info

"The May Queen" Poster Print by Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh · More Info

"The Wassail" Poster Print by Charles Rennie Mackintosh · More Info

and you could think about adding a zebra skin rug or other faux hide for under the coffee table.

Angelique thanked User
  • User
    2 years ago

Something else I would consider is plug-in sconces on each side of the day bed.

1-Light Adjustable Sconce, Warm Brass · More Info

Industrial Plug-in Swing Arm Wall Lamp Adjustable Wall Sconces Clear Glass · More Info

LNC Industrial 2-Pack Mini Black Wall Lights Swing Arm Wall Sconce · More Info

Angelique thanked User
  • User
    2 years ago

Amber or some other color or clear chair might be nice for the desk, to catch the light during the day and make the room feel a bit more spacious otherwise.

Compamia Elizabeth Dining Chairs, Set of 2, Transparent Amber · More Info

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

I also like the idea of something rounded offering storage. Below is a round metal coffee table with a lift off lid offering storage (World Market). Don't know your budget or the dimensions you need.

Angelique thanked tartanmeup
  • Angelique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for the thoughts so far!!

ital mover: I hear you on the art, but dad painted the one that's in the frame now - so until we find a better spot for it, it'll have to go here. He's never painted anything other than birds and nature! :)

The smoke grey chair is an original Kartell that hubby had to have when they first came out, and we both like the way it works with the antique desk... so while I agree that a lighter color may lighten up the room, I'm okay with the way that looks.

And I love your sconces idea - these are actually what I considered as well, but then when I photoshopped them, I felt they looked too heavy on the wall? Maybe I was wrong, I'll post an image here - you tell me what you think of them. The gooseneck floor lamp is only on that side because we read more in bed than at that desk, and there is no other task lighting in the room right now.

I also loved the idea of a cowhide under the coffee table, and another one of those things I photoshopped and nixed. Here, take a look and see what you think, please.

tartanmeup: Love the idea of this, but not sure how bulky it'll be to move around. Should head over to my local Pottery Barn to check it out for heft. Here's how that looks...

Thank you all so much for your feedback! :)

• User
    2 years ago

Definitely keep your father’s painting!

On my tiny screen your Kartell chair looked like a wood or metal chair, so I agree not to change it.

You might eventually spot plug in sconces with a smaller profile if you like the idea.

Novogratz x Globe Owen 1-Light Antique Brass and Dark Bronze Wall Sconce · More Info

Nordhaven 1-Light Chrome Plug-In or Hardwire Wall Sconce · More Info

IKEA has a lot as I recall. Do some google searches for ”hardwire plug in sconces”

Agree the cowhide is not right. zebra or cheetah faux skin might — but maybe not. Once you get a coffee table in there you’ll know better. For guests, scatter rugs are always a bit problematic.

Angelique thanked User
  • Maureen
    2 years ago

I love mixing pieces as well and sugest looking for a more unique piece. Rattan is very portable being so light and it suits so many designs from Victorian to modern and everything in between.

I love this one for all of these reasons.

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/marigny-rattan-bench?category=SEARCHRESULTS&color=014&searchparams=q%3Dbench&type=STANDARD&size=One%20Size&quantity=1&epik=dj0yJnU9T2JURVM1TkRuTXBoVjhXME1kM1NudDd0Q3FYbHBaR0ImcD0wJm49a0Q0RmNPQkFtaVJjeTlYOHRzV1hadyZ0PUFBQUFBR0M3dDkw

I think that sconces may give a cluttered, busy feel once you add your art. A floor lamp would be a good choice, to provide good light for reading, so perhaps consider something larger and more unique.

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/bella-floor-lamp?category=lighting-floor-lamps&color=027&type=STANDARD&size=ONE%20SIZE&quantity=1

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/sibley-floor-lamp?category=lighting-floor-lamps&color=003&type=STANDARD&size=One%20Size&quantity=1

Angelique thanked Maureen
  • User
    2 years ago

Ps: With the painting, a rich green velvet cover for the daybed mattress might be great, or a floral with a black background?

Mina Victory Fur Green Stripe Green Throw Blanket, 50"x70" · More Info

Angelique thanked User
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    2 years ago

Greetings from someone who has an office/guestroom/TV room!

And ours is about 10X10 so yours is huge to me.

One thing not really mentioned in this thread is the "guest" portion, room for them, room for their stuff, consideration, etc.

Would it be prudent to have a trunk of some type with storage available?

Our tiny guest room is heavily used, we often have the kids and their friends, one on the daybed and 2 on a blow up bed on the floor, etc.

They don't mind a bit, lol!

Or maybe this room isn't heavily used as a guest room?

Angelique thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • calidesign
    2 years ago

No cowhide or other rug on top of the carpet. I would use either an upholstered bench for the coffee table, or a low trunk of some sort that you can store bedding inside. If you choose the storage option you can keep a pad in it to use when propping your feet up. I would not add sconces. Use a lamp on an end table next to the daybed instead, so it's easy to turn on and off and is more functional for reading. You could put an art lamp over the painting.

Angelique thanked calidesign
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Maybe we could see the upholstery pattern on the chair ?

Angelique thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

W 18" / D 28.4" / H 19"

comes in grey and also 'ivory white'

GDF Studio Jeremiah Tufted Pillow Top New Velvet Ottoman, Teal · More Info

• happyleg
    2 years ago

Can the desk be moved to a wall where that cherish at Now ? Excuse my crazy phone

Angelique thanked happyleg
  • User
    2 years ago

There are sconce people, and there are not sconce people.

I actually switch both ways. If I were putting sconces in that room I would put them over the tables, not within the sofa frame, but I would do sconces with swing arms or articulating arms.

But you need to hang your art first to see what makes sense from there...

Angelique thanked User
  • inkkusmart
    2 years ago

Your room is very nice!

Angelique thanked inkkusmart
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

With gold pillows, etc. I like italmover's amber chairs.

• Angelique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maureen: Those lamps are fabulous! I agree, once everything else is settled, I'll want to find a pretty statement lamp. And I like the idea of a rattan bench because it'll be light, but hubby is not a fan of anything rattan. He says it reminds him too much of his grandmother's Florida home (insert eyeroll here). Here's a photoshop of that bench in the room... I personally think it's very pretty, but trying to work with everyone's tastes... =-/

ital mover: I actually loved the idea of green on the daybed, but the chair has navy accents...and I wasn't sure how to make the green work with the navy. There's actually a green sheet under that white blanket because that was my first idea! But when I covered it with white, the room looked better. Maybe I just need a better texture, not sure.

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK: So happy we're not the only ones with such a multi-purpose room! :) We actually do have out of state guests stay there every couple of months... part of the reason we need the bench to be portable, is because we're thinking of getting a trundle for it, as my niece and her two small kids would then be able to comfortably stay there. Obviously the trundle would need room to move out, and with the TV there, the coffee table would have very limited space and would need to go.

With something like a trunk, I'm worried there won't be a way to move it out of the room - and then there'll be no way to expand the daybed. I'll be moving a small dresser up to the right side of the daybed, and that'll provide a "nightstand" of sorts. I was thinking I'd put a lamp on that table as well. There's a closet behind the chair they can use, too... so overall, it should be a reasonably comfortable room for guests.

Most frequently, however, this is a room for the hubby and I to spend time away from our elderly parents for whom we care, and just watch some television late night when they're relaxing on the lower level. I do many of my client video meetings from here as well, so it does serve as an office often.

calidesign: I agree with your thoughts on the rugs at this point, things seem to look heavy over that carpeting (which we've been meaning to replace with hardwood anyway). And I have been thinking of an art spotlight over the painting once that's up, that may serve as a cool little ambience light - but we'd have to make sure there's a way to switch it off at night, for when guests are sleeping there. Most of my art lighting has to be unplugged to be shut off, which wouldn't work here. And yes to the lamp on a table! Once that little dresser is set to the side of the daybed, that's what will go on top of it. :)

everdebz: I do like those amber chairs, I agree! But since we're keeping the grey Kartell, this seems to be the best spot for it. I don't know if I want the entire room enveloped in gold anyway. And here are some closeups of the chair - it has a navy/ivory/bone/silver pattern on it...

happyleg: The table really does work best where it is, mainly for two reasons: 1 - I like being able to look out onto the driveway when working at it, and 2 - when we pull the curtains closed in the evening, it's nice to not see the work desk, and to still have the chair where we can watch tv from it. :)

Thanks for all of your feedback, everyone!

• Angelique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Almost forgot to share this room I came across last night, and love... really tempts me to look into mirrored coffee tables, but again, I wouldn't be able to then easily move them, which makes the whole thing a bummer. :(

Client A · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Here's a fav of mine for storage. Since you have all the antiques, you might like the variation on this that has a marble looking top. Although it doesn't pop up for a table or desk, it has brass on it to work with your other brass items..

Nesnesis Modern Round Lift-top Nesting Wood Coffee Table with Drawers, White/Black · More Info

Nesnesis Modern Round Lift-top Nesting Wood Coffee Table with Drawers, Marble/White · More Info

Angelique thanked decoenthusiaste
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Mirrored tables look fab in pics. Perhaps not the most practical choice in real life.

Angelique thanked tartanmeup
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

There are already a lot of legs in the room. I'd prefer something that gives a closed look.

Angelique thanked decoenthusiaste
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I got a coffee table on wheels at IKEA once. It has been discontinued. I like that feature. The wheels are small and incorporated into the design, they don't stand out. I have also used storage trunks for coffee tables, worked great. That's what I would do. I had a steamer style trunk with handles on the ends, easy to move out of the way if you have guests. Also, in my guest room I have some collapse-able trays with stands that I stash when not in use but offer to my guests as little side tables to put stuff on while they are visiting. The trays come off so they can either serve as small tables using the collapse-able stands, or separate trays.

Angelique thanked l pinkmountain
  • Angelique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think that's where my problem lies - I don't know if the room needs more legs (probably not), but portability is important, considering the fact that we'll be needing to add a trundle that'll have to roll out... and there really isn't enough space in that room to move a large piece into.

We actually have this lift top trunk in storage: https://www.hortonsfurniture.com/shop-living-room-furniture/coffee-cocktail-tables/riverside-38703-latitudes-steamer-trunk-lift-top-coffee-table.html

Paid about $1500 some 5 years ago because I really loved it back then, and it is solid as could be, plus has storage. But it weighs about 150 pounds (no kidding), and while it has casters, it's nearly impossible to move. Even with moving it, there'd be nowhere for it to go but out of the room when that trundle is pulled out.

At this point, I'm super tempted to get those light and leggy little ottomans freedomplace1 posted. They're so inexpensive that even if we end up needing something different, we can just toss them in the mudroom are of the garage to use as extra seating when needed there. And in the meantime, I plan on making a trip out to Pottery Barn to see that hammered coffee table in person; if it's light enough, that may work as well (I'd have to be easily lift it and possibly tip it on its side to slide over into the little corner where the gooseneck lamp currently stands).

This feels like one of those "style vs comfort" debates. I love the look of so many pieces, but practicality has to win over when it's such a tight space where portability is essential. But the bigger takeaway here, is that we need a larger home that's better equipped for multi-generational living with lots of visiting family to boot!

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

It’s all relative. And this fascination with coffee table/storage combo is also a relatively new thing, I think. Of course, it can be useful in some situations. But you have already stated that this room has a closet... Plus you are bringing in a dresser. That should be more than sufficient. And I believe that would be an adequate setup in just about any house of any size.

Personally, the largest house I’ve lived in is the house I grew up in. We had 3 guest bedrooms. It was an 8 bedroom, 5 bathroom house, built-in 1910. Nice place. Six of the bedrooms had their own closet. Two were outfitted with armoires. All of the guest bedrooms had actual closets plus dressers. What more does anyone need in a guest bedroom - in any size of house?

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I used my travel trunk for years in bedrooms, storing extra linens inside. Unfortunately I put a hot pan on it accidentally when it was in my living room, and it had to be relegated to a space where I could keep a cushion over it or blanket resting on top after that.

This was what I had, not elegant but there are probably classier ones out there https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/rhino-trunk-and-case-trade-large-rhino-armor-trunk/3270122?skuId=44150327&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_storage_online&product_id=44150327&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=&creative=224124676749&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&utm_campaignid=71700000037121782&utm_adgroupid=58700004139985086&targetid=92700035325268467&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5PGFBhC2ARIsAIFIMNcKGdoAvIsAJUhOYSqbMGKJ4NpoIl9WlSSuN-nVq-qeAigpzbsEvUgaAnLjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think your Horton's one would look fabulous in that room since it already had a bit of a British Colonial vibe going. However, I get the weight thing. My second storage coffee table was a This End Up solid pine one. Lovely, but heavy as all get out! I was moving a lot when I bought it and finally gave it to a more permanently housed friend to use in their family room as a toy chest. When they moved they tried to give it back, lol!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

If I may: I think a transitional table might be best cause of your varying items.

Chair has delicate colors [of course other than blue]....another reason a 'heavy' look to me wouldn't work.

Now will you show the desk set by the window?

• User
    2 years ago

This is fun on wheels

Picket House Furnishings Poppy Round Coffee Table In Gold CTLV200CTTBE · More Info

But not if you keep the glass end tables. Have you tried using the end tables in front of the sofa for coffee?

I didn’t realize the chair had a blue graphic. The white cover on the daybed is fine, but thinking if you take away the white pillows, a kantha-type coverlet might work with both chair and painting

Twin Size Paisley Kantha Quilt Indian Reversible Bedspread Bedding Throw Blanket · More Info

Angelique thanked User
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

For a while there was a trend in end tables where there was a taller larger one for the end, and then a smaller one that fit under it that could be pulled out to extend the table or moved into position as a lower table for serving coffee or some task, etc. in front of the seating. My late mother had an end table like that. We love it but never seem to use the little table underneath. We might if it was in a guest room. But I have some hand made what used to be called "tv trays" that my husband did the inlay on, and they have collapse-able stands. We keep them behind the bedroom door and use them if we need low tables by the bed or use the trays if someone is sick and needs food brought to the bedroom.

• Angelique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

freedomplace1: The home in which you grew up sounds absolutely fabulous! Between its age (nothing like old homes!), and all of that wonderful space... ah, what I wouldn't give for all those rooms right now... haha! I think you may be right - I don't know what we'd keep in a trunk in this room, really - probably some blankets and things like that, certainly nothing the guests would find necessary, as those items would be put on top of the dresser, in plain view for them to use. I was trying to remember the other day, the first time I saw a trunk used as a coffee table. Trunks have, of course, been around for centuries... but I don't remember them used as living room pieces when I was growing up, so even that is a trend, isn't it? Unless I just haven't spent much time around stylish people!

l pinkmountain: I know just the tables you mean, and those really do work quite well in small spaces. Your home sounds fabulous - between the handmade, and the inherited items. I tend to like those types of things best. And of course we would end up owning the heaviest pieces when we move around a lot, wouldn't we?! Our huge, heavy, Jacobean inherited dining set has traveled the country with us... and that Horton's piece was with us in two places before we ended up in our current home. Of course now that we aren't going anywhere for a while, it's in storage... ha, the irony!

everdebz: Yes, I agree - visually, transitional may work best, and I think the reason that I was looking for a visually lighter piece, is because the navy tones in the room do make it appear heavier.

ital mover: That one is fun, I like the round shape and the fact that it has wheels! The only bummer would be the fact that we wouldn't be able to use it as an ottoman. I know, I know, so much to demand of such a tiny space! I did order the throw, however, it seems perfectly color-matched to the room - will post an update when that comes. Thank you! :)

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

Yes. My Father was actually in shipping and he had a steamer trunk that he kept important papers in. We never used it as a coffee table.:) Nothing wrong with the idea, and it can be fun and also useful in some situations to use a trunk or some other storage type piece - or a piece specifically designed to serve as coffee table + storage; but the obsession with combining these functions is a little much I think, and not always necessary. It’s ok to have a coffee table that is just a coffee table. In that house we had two coffee tables - one in LR and one in a large upstairs (attic) bedroom/sitting room. Both tables were wood and glass. Unfortunately, the coffee table in LR was responsible for toddlers being carried out via ambulance - on more than one occasion. The glass table was beautiful and very well made - and it never sustained as much as a scratch. But it was really a lethal weapon. I have preached the use of ottomans as coffee tables for years now, on this forum - particularly for folks who have young children afoot. The statistics re: the number of children seriously injured (and worse) every year by glass tables are staggering and heartbreaking. And since I saw this horror happening in front of my own eyes, when I was a child, myself - I am a big advocate for either no coffee table or an ottoman when there are children involved. No hard and or sharp surfaces. And especially not glass. Not for fashion. There is nothing fashionable about babies being carried out in ambulances.

• User
    2 years ago

apologies in advance for a lot of photos, several off the wall even for an eclectic room

Saddler Extra Large Bench, Sienna Brown and English Chestnut · More Info

Contemporary Bench, Metal Frame With Oval Shape & Velvet Seat, Slate Blue/Gold · More Info

Bobby Berk Thilo Bed Bench by A.R.T. Furniture · More Info

Nicole Miller Nirin Velvet Bench, Hand Woven/Steel Base, Grey/Chrome · More Info

Farmhouse Brown Wood Bench 54329 · More Info

Distressed Oak Folding Bench, Provincial, 5 Feet · More Info

Nautical Rope Neutral Beige X Long Bench Coastal Cottage Natural Classic Iron · More Info

Or two of these

Firth Small Bench · More Info

Shea Satin Nickel Small Bench By Designer Grace Feyock · More Info

Leffler Maddie Button Tufted Single Bench in Portsmouth Loden · More Info

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

This has been a fund thread for me as I also have a tiny guest bedroom I combine into an office space. Not really a lot of office work goes on in there, I have an actual home office in another room, but I have a small writing desk in the guest bedroom for short and sweet desk tasks. It's been great for Zoom meetings. In and out. I also have to have the guest room do double duty for a lot of purposes. That's the reason I had a steamer trunk as a coffee table in my younger, more transient days, I lived in tiny apartments, my "guest room" was the futon in my living room, and I moved a lot so at least I didn't have to pack my extra linens and it was light . . . later I lived in an old row house with very little closet space, and I had a lot of linens for three bedrooms, so it helped with storage for that sitting at the end of the bed.

Most of my solid, quality stuff I've inherited from my Mom, but she was also a devotee of solid wood and I spent many childhood days with her driving around the boonies attending old farm auctions. Plus what Mom then inherited from Grandma. Gave me a penchant for using what I had, and also buying stuff that could be worked into a lot of different design approaches. And why my current style is "eclectic" or I guess they call that "English Country Cottage" now . . . or "Curated."

On the flip side, I haven't quite gotten over the need to have a house full of small, light pieces or ones that break down and can be reassembled, because of constant moving . . .