SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txguy

True vs Sub Zero refrigerator

TXGuy
2 years ago

I've been doing a ton of reading on here and elsewhere and finally got to go look at a bunch of appliances I am considering. I'm pretty sure I've got my refrigerator selection narrowed down to the 48" Built-In/Classic Sub Zero or 48" True. I am also considering 2 30" columns, but I think that may be a bit much for my kitchen (and the size of my family). If I went with the columns, I would likely go True since I am trying to avoid an icemaker in the freezer, although I haven't found any good alternatives for ice (I'm trying to avoid undercounter clear icemakers due to maintenance. reliability, and water waste concerns). Another drawback of the Sub Zero columns is that they have shelves that are not framed, so if something spills on a shelf there is no lip to prevent it from spilling off of the shelf. If I compromise and go with an in-freezer icemaker then I would also consider the Sub Zero Pro 48".

But back to the comparable 48" models....I like the exterior of both units about equally. Notable differences between the 2 that I could identify are:

1. all stainless interior of the True is nice
  2. stainless door bins and drawers of the True seem like they'll be much more durable (e.g., when someone inevitably tries to close a door while a drawer is out)
  3. the True freezer lacks door bins, whereas the SZ has generously sized bins; however, the True has deeper shelves as a result
  4. the True has only 3 refrigerator door bins, whereas the SZ has 4 full-width adjustable and 2 shorter fixed bins
  5. the bins in the True freezer are soft close (both units have soft close in the refrigerator)
  6. the True lacks an ethylene scrubber, but I'm not sure how important this is -- it seems most of the key ethylene producers get stored on the counter/in the pantry instead of the refrigerator...and True claims that because of they way they circulate air that ethylene can't build up (but they weren't really able to explain this)
  7. the True is about $6K more than the SZ, presumably owing to the all stainless interior (the SZ Pro and True are about the same price)
  8. I have some concern about support for the True -- I am in a major metro area and there are none on display; True tells me there are plenty of servicers available, and that if it comes to it one of their commercial servicers could work on the unit, but I am a bit hesitant

Any thoughts on which unit you'd go with?

Comments (25)