SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bridget_cook25

shower glass installer cut quartz bench

Bridget Cook
2 years ago

We recently renovated our bathroom using the Schluter system so that we could have a curb less shower and fully waterproofed floor. The guy that did our tile work (and many other parts of the job) did incredible work and we are thrilled with the results. The last step was to have shower glass installed. The installer measured wrong not once, not twice, but three times over the last two months. He came out for the fourth time yesterday. The glass was supposed to ‘step down’ over a shower bench with a quartz top. When he told me he had finished, I found that he had cut a hole in our quartz instead of notching the glass around the bench top. He NEVER told me that he was going to cut into the quartz. He claimed that it had to be done this way, but I have found plenty of examples online that prove otherwise. He tried filling it with clear silicone, but it still looks terrible. My first question is who should be responsible for the cost of repairs? The glass installer is refusing to pay, as well as the woman that we hired as the designer/general contractor who found the glass installer. Do we have any legal recourse here to recoup damages? Is it likely that would even happen? We have called the stone company to get a replacement (we used the same quartz on our vanity top and niche ledge so we want the same) and they said they can order a new piece and also remove the old top. We then called our tile guy to ask if he can make any necessary repairs once the stone installer finishes. He is very concerned that the Schluter board will be damaged when they remove the old quartz top. He thinks that it might require redoing a lot of the wall that the bench is against. My other question is for anyone that has experience working with Schluter—do you have any recommendations for how to handle this with as little damage as possible to the rest of the shower? We are of course planning to hire a new glass company once the bench problem is fixed. Thank you to anyone who can offer help or advice—I really appreciate your time!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor