SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Jeopardy hosts-Mayim

rob333 (zone 7b)
2 years ago

Since no one has commented does that mean no one likes her? I like her. It's also made me realize what I'm looking for in a permanent host. Someone who obviously feels comfortable in front of the camera. Convivial. Kind hearted.

What do you think they're looking for in a host? Are you looking for?

Comments (57)

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I didn't catch her name on the show...who is she? I mean what is she known for? I really liked her a lot - I also liked the last guy with the glasses....but don't know who he is either. I guess the only ones I've known (that I've seen) are Anderson Cooper and Katie Couric.

I have Hulu, but could never figure out how to watch current episodes. I finally noticed that I have DVR privileges with them, so just started recording it and can watch it that way. Years ago, when I had TV, I enjoyed the show, but haven't been able to see it since I went to streaming only. I'm happy to see it again.

• salonva
    2 years ago

I think she is doing a very good job. I agree that her voice, and her comfort level in handling the job are very promising. I think my top 3 are Mayim, Ken Jennings, and Aaron Rodgers.

• Related Discussions

Anderson Cooper as host of Jeopardy?

Q

Comments (29)
    Alex actually advised Todd Crain to apply for his job, once he left Jeopardy. He told him he would put in a good word for him, but that his replacement will and should be, up to the network. So it's highly doubtful the network will go with someone who is not really well known. But at least Mr. Crain has a personal note written to him from Alex Trebek, who clearly felt he'd be well suited for the job. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KPjNZwZOWk
    ...See More

Who is hosting Jeopardy this week?

Q

Comments (28)
    Thanks, Rob. I had to look up Bill Whitaker, but I'm familiar with the others. Interesting lineup. I actually missed Jeopardy yesterday (rare for me) because I had a Zoom meeting. Come to think of it, I missed the Jeopardy6 game too--the six questions left over from the day's show. I usually play every morning, unless I forget. (What a concept. LOL)
    ...See More

New Jeopardy host

Q

Comments (27)
    Current host is David Faber. I guess he reports on finance. He's good. Jeopardy! never said these were tryouts, just guest hosts. But it has been fun to taste them as possible contenders. I'd never expect someone to be like Alex. After all, he was not the same a Art Fleming. Mind you, he didn't exactly replace Fleming. So r situation is different. Interesting that the current champion has played under 3 different hosts now, and will likely play under a 4th! It will be interesting later to see what he has to say about that. Many champions say they prepared by learning Alex's rhythm, but Matt would have to figure it out in 10 minutes, to chime in properly the rest of the game.
    ...See More

More controversy about Jeopardy's new host

Q

Comments (71)
    I hadn’t seen Faber before and thought he was a fine Jeopardy host. I hope he doesn’t have ”a history”. I’d like to see him as permanent host. eld, so right. Does anyone NOT have a history of some kind?
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    2 years ago

I only saw one episode this week and i thought she did pretty well. .Oddly enough, ive liked Buzzy the best. Anderson Cooper was good but i doubt he wants the job.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I won’t judge yet because they’ve all taken time to grow on me and tonight was the first I saw her.

I liked Ken Jennings at the time, but after seeing the rest he's among my lower choices.

Mike Richards was great, probably tied with AC as my favorites. Why was AC so unpopular?

I expected to dislike Katie Couric but she surprised me big time.

Dr Oz I could do without. Least favorite.

Took me a while to warm up to Aaron Rogers but I did.

Bill Whitaker did ok, but too soft spoken /low energy IMO.

Buzzy Cohen needs new glasses so that he can see how bad those glasses look. I had a hard time looking past them but when I did I liked him.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I always like Ken Jennings in all that he does. I felt like he was kind of thrown into the mix, and did as well as he could. But I also feel like he kept the show going. I like him well enough, but maybe I gave him a pass because he didn't really get a chance to get going. It's always hard to be the first one.

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

I like her as a person but not as a presenter. The reason is not definable for me. I have no problem with a female replacing Trebek. She is actually really smart and does have a doctorate in Neurobiology. That is great but some indefinable thing is not there for me. I did not expect to like Buzzy but I liked him. I dont know that these people are actually trying for the job. I will wait. So far no one would turn me off the show though.

• kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

I really like her she is well spoken and one smart lady!

• Alisande
    2 years ago

Well, she certainly enunciates. Perhaps I find her less appealing because I've never seen her in anything, although I know who she is. I'm familiar with her name in her capacity as a breastfeeding advocate--which is great, since I'm a retired La Leche League Leader. But I just don't see her as the Jeopardy host.

I was a little put off by seeing her in the commercial for a nootropic that was shown during the show's commercial break.

I liked most of the others, except for Oz. My #1 pick would be Buzzy Cohen, followed by Katie Couric and Anderson Cooper.

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

Buzzy Cohen needs new glasses so that he can see how bad those glasses look. I had a hard time looking past them but when I did I liked him.

Agreed. And the hairstyle can go too. He seems to be going for a cartoon character look, ala Poindexter.

Did you notice how Sam Kavanaugh, the winner of the TOC talked about having had Lasik surgery with his winnings during the interview portion? He told Buzzy that he didn't know if his glasses were just for show, but if not he recommend Lasik. I've also noticed that Mayim and Buzzy have almost identical glasses, but they look less cartoonish on her.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I guess Buzzy is the guy who was before this latest host; like I said, I haven't a clue who he is or why he is known, but I love how he looks! I find his hair, clothes and glasses very chic and fashionable.

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

Buzzy is a former tournament of champions winner. He was a memorable winner and apparently Alex Trebek liked him.

Mayim was until recently one of the astonishingly well paid actors in The Big Bang Theory, girl friend and eventually wife of genius Sheldon Cooper. She played a Neurobiologist which is interestingly enough what she is as well as acting. Unlike all the other characters on that show she was sort of playing herself in that she really is super smart. That is not enough for me though. It is possible she will relax into the role we will see.

• Alisande
    2 years ago

Buzzy Cohen's father makes his beautiful suits.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

For those who don't know her, others have already mentioned her acting roles in Blossom and in The Big Bang Theory, but she also had a great part in one of my favorite movies -- Beaches. She played the young CC Bloom (the adult version played by Bette Midler).

Anyway...I'm a long time Jeopardy fan, and I like her in this role, though I'm not sure she's vying for it permanently since she has another show in production right now. I also like her for some of the same reasons I liked Katie Couric (chipper, encouraging when someone gets a right answer, seems genuinely interested in the questions and answers vs. 'just reading' them), which, interestingly, I know a lot of people didn't like. I actually think they've all done fine -- I didn't particularly like Aaron Rodgers in that role (though I do like him) - found him to be too monotone, and I probably have Bill Whitaker too typecast as the voice of 60 minutes for my mind to do that transition to game show host.

But to me, more important than the "who?" is the "when?" -- I'd like to see someone named soon so that the show can start to feel intentional again. I loved Alex, and obviously miss him, but, I'm not sure extending the temporary nature of the show much longer will be to its credit.

• lgmd_gaz
    2 years ago

I liked Mike Richards a lot. I also, to my surprise liked Aaron Rodgers. And Buzzy grew on me as he moved from show to show. Mayim is doing ok, but I just can't warm up to her for reasons I can't explain. Over all my least liked are Ken Jennings and Dr. OZ and Katie. These guest hosts are going to go on through the summer, so we have several more to critique ahead.

• Judy Good
    2 years ago

Mayim is my favorite so far, close second is Ken.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Lettersat, i see your point, but I think many are still going through the grieving process.

It would feel almost disrepectful to choose a host too quickly.

I wonder if all the guest hosts want the job, or just accepted to host as a tribute to Alex and to be part of something iconic?

I have just heard Mayim talk about actually doing the job.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I wonder how it is for the contestants, who might have studied Alex’s timing in the past, but by the time they get on, they have a host who has only done it for a day. Or, what if you win, and your next game with with a different host? Yikes!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Patricia and Letters, thanks. I had no idea she was an actress; she seems like a scientist to me, so I figured she was famous for something along those lines! I really like her.

• amicus
    2 years ago

I think Mayim has a very pleasant voice and I bet she knows any of the questions that are more academic than trivial.

I liked Aaron Rogers as far as his sense of humour and seeming natural, though he sometimes said things a little too quickly or quietly (not the answers, just his own thoughts) and I'd have to replay it to catch what he said. The only one I didn't care for was Dr. Oz, and totally unrelated to any personal opinion of him...I just found him not that engaging.

• Alisande
    2 years ago

I liked her a little more last night--cute joke about the contestant's necklace--but she's still not on my list of favorites. Also, I read up on her a little bit, and I think it's unlikely she'd be offered the permanent job. She's too controversial. She's outspoken, and her comments and writings have received a lot of criticism over the years. I don't say this disparagingly; I actually agree with some (but definitely not all) of her positions.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Ok after another night of viewing Ive got an opinion. I like her.

But Julia Markham Cameron stole the show. What a trip! Hope she lasts a while!

• graywings123
    2 years ago

Julia Markham Cameron - YES! She is fun to watch.

I have enjoyed Mayim's performance so far. Good delivery and great enunciation.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Alisande, you make a very good point. There was nothing negative you could say about Alex. He was never in the news for political or gossip type reasons.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

She seemed more relaxed than others; did a good job.

Like the rotating hosts, demonstrates Alex is not easily replaced.

• socks
    2 years ago

I thought she did a good job. I think she has a bright future as an actress, so why would she wish to indefinitely tie herself down to Jeopardy?

Patriciae, I agree she was playing herself on Big Bang, kinda geeky. I appreciate that she was wearing suits on Jeopardy, but they didn't seem to flatter her. Perfect, really.

Edited: Actually I only saw 2-3 suits.

• bob_cville
    2 years ago

> Patricia and Letters, thanks. I had no idea she was an actress; she seems like a scientist to me, so I figured she was famous for something along those lines! I really like her.

She was an actress in the TV show Blossom, and other things a while ago. She quit acting to attend and finish college, getting a PhD and became a neuroscientist.

She was enticed back into acting for a guest spot on the Big Bang Theory. Her character was popular so they asked her to appear in more episodes, and eventually a regular role.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Does anyone else think what I do?

I doubt they'll hire any of these temporary hosts for the permanent role?

I'm not even sure why I think it!

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I doubt any of the "guest hosts" could pronounce the clues as well as she did in episode 37.

I don't think her acting career is her #1 priority. This gig would fit in nicely with a 'regular' life. If she were ever a celebrity/temporary host contestant bet she would win with her hands tied behind her back as they say.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Rob, who then?I

I think a few hosted more to be part of an iconic event, and really were not interested in a permanent gig.

I wonder too, how did they present guest hosting to these particioants? This will be a try out or you are selected to guest host, with no promises attached.

Mayim really wants this. Do you think anyone else is as enthusiastic?

• Alisande
    2 years ago

I doubt any of the "guest hosts" could pronounce the clues as well as she did in episode 37.

The host is briefed about the clues and their pronunciation before the episodes. This was true for Alex as well. He talked about this in a "behind the scenes" interview he did in recent years. It would be foolish of the show to leave pronunciation up to the host and risk embarrassment.

I'm not so sure Mayim would be a shoe-in as a Jeopardy winner. Sure, she probably has a high IQ. But that doesn't mean her brain is loaded with facts about a wide range of topics. If the subject of Final Jeopardy was Neurobiology, no doubt she could bet everything on it. But that doesn't necessarily mean she knows a thing about the rivers of Burkina Faso or the history of Norway's House of Bernadotte.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

eld,

Keep thinking they have somebody on the back burner they're trying to get situated. And maybe they want to test audiences reaction as as to the direction the show should go?

Alisande, I don't think anyone is particularly a shoo-in at this point. There are things I like and dislike about every single guest host. Doubt I'm alone!

I actually noticed one or two words Mayim mispronounced?! Kind of funny the things we noticed

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

I'm looking forward to LeVar Burton's stint as guest host. I think that he would be an excellent choice as permanent host.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/22/989897618/an-overjoyed-levar-burton-welcomes-chance-to-guest-host-jeopardy

• Alisande
    2 years ago

Rob, when I said Mayim might not be a shoe-in as a Jeopardy winner, I was referring to Arcy's comment that she would win "with her hands tied behind her back" as a contestant.

• salonva
    2 years ago

I don't think anyone who wants the job has to worry about Savannah Guthrie. I found it hard to watch/listen to the show with her as host. I understand this was her first night, but seriously, this was not good. In my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing some more contenders as host.

• maire_cate
    2 years ago

"You Got It!" Salonva. For someone with as much TV experience as Savannah Guthrie I was surprised at her frequent use of that phrase. She was OK but a too perky.

• Alisande
    2 years ago

I like Savannah in general, but "You got it" jumped out at me too. I was thinking she should have reviewed some tapes of Alex hosting to see how he acknowledged correct answers. Maybe she'll do better in subsequent episodes.

• HU-178658043
    2 years ago

I'd heard of Savannah Guthrie before, but hadn't seen her. She was impressive, but Mayim is still my favorite of guest hosts to-date. I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the potential permanent hosts.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I thought Savannah did okay except for that overused phrase, but my favorites are seemingly polar opposites Buzzy and Mayim.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I watched today and tried to count them. I think I heard you got it all of twice? Dunno, but I sure heard yes and correct far more often. Not that I like or dislike her? I didn't see what others did.

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

Rob, it sounds like she watched tapes of herself, and caught herself saying that. That's how Alex answered the contestants, so she's picking up on his style, which is great.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Rest assured, Savannah has no interest in being the host of jeopardy.

• drewsmaga
    2 years ago

I find Savannah's voice and enunciations grating. Like Katie Couric's. I don't know how these two ever ended up on TV. I liked Mayim and Buzzy. Ken has always been the Crown Prince.

• salonva
    2 years ago

I watched her again last night and did notice that she seemed to have stopped the You Got It . I realized that aside from just not caring for her, her voice is truly grating. I never noticed it when she did her interviews or read the news, but in the Jeopardy format, I find her voice extremely irritating. I was coming back here to post that, and see that MyBiz has already shared that.

It was a revelation to me last night. I also found her mannerisms were just off.

(((Not host material)).

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Salonva, Savannah made it clear that she has a day job and is not interested in becoming a permanent host.

I wonder who, other than Mayim, really wants this job?

• Alisande
    2 years ago

I watched the Today show on NBC for years. I always liked Katie Couric, but I remember being less than impressed when Savannah, who was NBC's top legal analyst, was named co-host. So I guess I understand why some might not react well to her on Jeopardy. But I grew to like her a lot. I think she's a really nice person, and an excellent interviewer. And I agree with Eld--no way is she interested in becoming the permanent Jeopardy host.

Did anyone notice the pitch Mayim made for the job on her last day? At the end of the show she said her role as host was a great fit with her experience as both an actor and a neuroscientist.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Buzzy also wants the job. Producer Mike Richards said that Buzzy was the only one who prepared physically for the gig besides mentally. He worked out so he could keep up his stamina and alertness during two intense days of filming.

• wiscokid
    2 years ago

LeVar Burton has also said he wants the job - I assume he's coming up next or soon?

• bpath
    2 years ago

LeVar comes up to the podium July 26.

• Suzieque
    2 years ago

I know this is very picky, but Buzzy drove me crazy with the overuse of his hand gestures. (And I wonder if he knows how stupid - IMO - those glasses look).

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz