SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma_lou2

Plan design dilemma

Em
2 years ago

Short version: Looking for advice on how to handle this situation with an architect - when the plan just isn’t working.

long version: I’m designing a custom home with an architect. At our first meeting I brought a sketch. I’m a terrible artist and no architect, and I told her I was reluctant to even show her the sketch because I didn’t want her to feel like she had to follow it and wanted her to use her creativity to make something functional. I had examples of exteriors I like at that time too. When we got our plan, it was pretty much my sketch to a tee and didn’t work at all. We made a lot of changes and finally got something workable. I was so excited! And then she sent the exterior elevations. It doesn’t work at all and doesn’t look a bit like any Inspiration photo I shared. And as I’ve spent all weekend looking at it, I see zero potential without drastically altering the interior... which honestly I’m okay with doing. I will compromise some of the things I wanted on the interior to help out the exterior.

today, I found a southern living plan I LOVE and is what I wanted her to do - it has all the spaces my sketch had, in the same general areas (ex: clustered instead of split bedrooms), but was done much better and actually works! I’m almost ready to just buy the plan, however I know the rear garage may not work on our land.

I feel like it’s crazy to ask her to start from scratch and try to replicate this plan with some minor changes. But what we have now isn’t working at all. Are architects used to this much rework? Is it offensive for me to show something I found online and say “this is what I really want”? I have been searching online for years and never found anything so I’m so mad I just found this today. Would an architect rather me just buy it and work with me on the changes vs spending hours trying to replicate it? I don’t want to be a nightmare client, and I absolutely do not want to insult her work or offend, but what we have just isn’t working and I haven’t yet seen her use her creativity to know if she’d be able to rework our current design into something both functional on the inside and beautiful on the outside. how would you approach this? I will of course be kind and understand that maybe she felt constrained by my sketches and what she thought were hard requirements, but we have to get this right for what I’m spending.

here is the southern living plan:

https://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/SL1847

Comments (55)

• gerianns
    2 years ago

sounds to me like you need a different architect. there will be some back and forth, and ideas will evolve, but if you are already frustrated with her and you are just starting the process, that is a red flag, that she may not be a good fit for you.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I hope your architect can give you something better than the Southern Living plan. It's ok but not wonderful.

Sounds like it's time to part ways and find a better architect for your needs.

• Related Discussions

Home plan dilemmas

Q

Comments (17)
    You might want to look at [this thread[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/virgils-threads-on-buying-land-designing-and-building-a-custom-home-dsvw-vd~5081649?n=37) for a very helpful series of articles by Virgil Carter about buying land, designing and building a custom home. I also have some articles on my website that give another perspective on some of the same topics.
    ...See More

Open Floor Plan Design Dilemma for Kitchen/Living/Dining Area

Q

Comments (2)
    I guess I would start with the kichen being complete and that needs to done after the same flooring is installed everywhere I really am having some difficulty relating the pictures to the floor plan. In the pictures where is the mud room?
    ...See More

House Facelift: Siding Dilemma & Future Plans

Q

Comments (1)
    I think you neeed to get drwaings of the planned addition and IMO a door going into the house from the porch but at the front is preferable to a side entry .I would aslo run a porch all across that wall you show in the planning pic. You really need an architect to make this appear as if it was there all the time . I think doing the siding before doing the additon is abad idea since unless you buy all the siding for the whole house and store somehwere chances are it will not match when you are ready for the rest. I like your plan to add the gable and overhang but it needs to be done perfectly or it will just look like a tack on.
    ...See More

please help me with this design’s dilemma

Q

Comments (10)
    It seems placement could work centered or offset, but without the sconces only. According to your sketch, the sconce is too close to the hall. If the artwork is offset from the table, you have the balance and massing from the sideboard, so picture yourself sitting in the family room. First, you probably won't view the art perfectly associated to the center of the table. Then, if you see the artwork not centered on table/chandelier, that may be ok because the visual breakup with the sideboard may balance the entire view. And you've drawn like a long 6'+ piece, so it may conflict with that 4-gang switch box there anyway. But, I would probably just eliminate the sconces as IMO it detracts from the art anyway, and limits you in flexiblity for a different sized piece in the future. Then you can play with a centered or offset location upon hanging. I think either could work. Same logic I would apply to the sideboard, whether it can be centered or offset from the table.
    ...See More
  • Mrs. S
    2 years ago

We are going through planning right now too. And we had to switch architects 6 months in. Gulp. It was a lot of money already spent ---but a sunk cost, and that's how you need to view it.

Let me share the difference between our first and second architect.

The second architect has zoom calls with us, and he projects the 3D and 2D plans, and we say, make the bathroom bigger and can it have a door to the outside? And then he does it IN REAL TIME. He can discuss with us the ramifications of the changes IN REAL TIME. We can say, how does that affect the rooftop deck? And he shows us an aerial view. Wonderful.

The first architect worked like this: we made a list of 40 comments by email. He re-worked things, taking into account about half of what we asked for, gave us a bill for $5,000, and when we asked why he didn't do certain things we asked for, he was VERY defensive about it. Over, and over, and over again. It wasn't working.

I just knew that we were not going to be able to see the thing through to a final design with the first architect being defensive. And the sunk cost was unimportant, compared to what the final design needed to be. Luckily, we got a much better personality fit this time, and one who is far more technologically advanced.

If your architect can't address your comments in real time like that, then I would find someone else who can.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist what particularly are the things you don’t like if you don’t mind sharing? want to make sure I don’t miss anything. I do have less than typical taste - don’t want a big kitchen and like bedrooms clustered and cozy spaces. Sadly I’m just not sure I can show her these and her come up with something similar or better so just may need to go through southern living

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO the fact that she gave you what you wanted to begin with IMO is telling me to let them plan your house instead of you telling them what YOU want. IMO the reason to hire an architect is to let them design your house so stop telling them what you think they should do and let them do what they do best. There is no way an architect is going to start playing with a stock plan IMO. BTW the builder is not an architect all they care about is the easiest for them to build .

• just_janni
    2 years ago

If that is a picture of part of the elevation, I can see why you are not pleased.

If you LIKE her, give her another shot. Can you lot accommodate 102' width? Stretching out a house to make it less deep, and having tons of light is GOOD (generally) but that clip of the elevation isn't, so it's hard to tell.

Have you see her work built?

To me you are not far enough along to have that much detail in an elevation, and the details themselves look quite boring.

Anyway - go with your gut - it's an expensive thing to get wrong.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting I see what you’re saying. I guess what frustrates me is that I told her word for word not to copy my sketch and to use her creativity to make something that had those specific spaces and the bedrooms clustered. So I definitely didn’t go in saying “this is exactly what I want.“ I saw a lot of the builders portfolio but apparently none of hers... I didn’t know she was newly hired by the builder as their in house architect. So back to the drawing board and I’m going to ask to see some of HER work.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

Maybe just post the plans here. You can blot out her name or identifying information. The architects here can take a look.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

@cpartist what particularly are the things you don’t like if you don’t mind sharing? want to make sure I don’t miss anything. I do have less than typical taste - don’t want a big kitchen and like bedrooms clustered and cozy spaces. Sadly I’m just not sure I can show her these and her come up with something similar or better so just may need to go through southern living

A smaller kitchen and clustered bedrooms actually can make for a better design. Below is a list of some items that help make a house have better design.

The best houses orient the public rooms towards the south for the best passive solar heating and cooling

(Obviously that will depend on your lot, but a good architect will try to create living spaces that are not for example oriented due west which is the worst orientation.)

The best houses are L, U, T, H, or I shaped.

The best houses are only one to two rooms deep. And covered lanai, porches, garages, etc count as rooms in this case.

(note the kitchen, breakfast room, and dining room making the house 3 rooms deep in that direction and of course much more horizontally)

The best houses make sure kitchens have natural light, meaning windows so one doesn't have to have lighting 24/7 to use the kitchen. And no, dining areas with windows 10' or more from the kitchen will not allow for natural light.

(That kitchen will be dark and will need the lights turned on 24/7.)

The best houses make sure all public rooms and bedrooms have windows on at least two walls.

(This is for cross ventilation but also for more natural light. Note that in the SL house, only one bedroom has windows on 2 walls and none of the public rooms do!)

The best houses do not if possible put mechanical rooms, pantries or closets on outside walls

(Note where the master closet is. On an outside corner that could be better served having a bedroom for example. And note where bedroom's 2 and 3 closets are. Wouldn't it be better for the bathrooms for those two bedrooms to be on an outside wall having some natural light?)

The best houses do not have you walk through the work zone of the kitchen to bring laundry to the laundry room.

(This one has you walk right past the refrigerator!)

The best houses do not have the mudroom go through any of the work zones of the kitchen.

(See above)

The best houses do not use the kitchen as a hallway to any other rooms.

(See above)

The best houses do not put toilets or toilet rooms up against bedroom walls or dining areas.

(Notice where the toilets are. And I'd add they don't put them up against living room walls either!)

The best houses have an organizing “spine” so it’s easy to determine how to get from room to room in the house and what makes sense.

(Use colored pencils to "walk" through the house doing everyday activities. Note how to get from the bedrooms to the laundry for example, you have to walk through the living room which means your living room isn't as large as you think because you need to keep pathways. So you lose 3' of the 15' because of the pathway. Then open those french doors and you'll lose another 3'. So that 15' living room width really only has 9' of usable space! Do the same with the rest of your activities.)

A few other things I didn't note above:

Clothes can't turn corners and you need 2' from the wall for hanging.

Look how far from the bedrooms the laundry is. Most laundry comes from the bedrooms. Do you really want to walk that far carrying baskets of laundry?

Why do you need double doors into a closet or a bathroom?

• cpartist
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I didn’t know she was newly hired by the builder as their in house architect. So back to the drawing board and I’m going to ask to see some of HER work.

Are you sure she's a licensed by the state architect and not just a "designer"? (Did you check her state license?)

My builder called the so called designer we had an architect the first time we met. Turned out he was nothing more than a glorified CAD designer and using the word designer would be a bit too nice for him.

Do you need to use the builder's person? I ask because the builder's person is going to design whatever works best for the builder and not necessarily what works best for YOU.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

@cpartist I wanted to ask the same thing. Why is that some builders freely throw around the job title of "architect" when that is a specific licensing/education pathway? I mean, when you go into a medical clinic no one says, "the doctor will be right with you" when they mean a physician's assistant.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@just_janni thats the very middle front/main entrance of the house. The weird roof line is there because the study to the right of the main entry juts out - she insisted we needed a jut out there to add interest instead of keeping the front “flat” but I think it’s one of the worst things about the exterior.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist @Mrs. S she is a licensed architect, not a designer or draftsperson. @cpartist there is no requirement to use their person. We can come with a plan but since we originally planned to use their person we would likely lose a few thousand dollars. Not terrible in the grand scheme of things if it results in a better designed house. I just found out her background is in a lot of commercial architecture.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also @cpartist thank you so much for the through feedback on the SL plan. The architect made all of those flaws you mentioned pretty much in our plan too 😫 Closets on outside walls does bother me. Laundry so far from bedrooms is one I don’t mind much - grew up in a house that way and my mom never minded either, but agree having it near bedrooms is nice

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is a similar SL plan that has a few less of the flaws @cpartist mentioned

https://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/SL066?search%255Bbathrooms%255D=2&search%255Bbedrooms%255D=3&search%255Bcommit%255D=SEARCH&search%255Bdepth%255D=&search%255Bfloors%255D=1&search%255Bmax_square_feet%255D=&search%255Bmin_square_feet%255D=&search%255Bplan%255D=&search%255Bsort%255D=Largest+to+Smallest+by+Sq+Ft&search%255Bstyles%255D=&search%255Bvendor%255D=&search%255Bwidth%255D=

Pros about this one compared to the one in my original post:

- closets on inside. Better natural light in kids bathroom.

- Laundry is still across the house, BUT it's an easy straight shot from bedroom wing.

- Window over sink in kitchen

- Better laundry room and laundry room has a window too!

It's honestly a little more sq footage than I want, but shrinking things scares me and can ruin the plan I'm afraid.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Frankly I'd recommend architectrunnerguy who's a member here and specializes in residential. He's created some wonderful homes for many of our members and he works remotely.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

As for the second house, note that all of the bedrooms and public rooms still only have windows on one wall.

The dining room is far from the kitchen.

There really is no good wall to put the bed in the master.

There is no mudroom.

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

No coat/jacket closet in either plan for guests.

• chispa
    2 years ago

I strongly recommend you not work with a remote architect. Find a good local architect that you can meet face to face, one that can brainstorm and make sketches on tracing paper as you are talking over ideas. Much easier and quicker to do this back and forth collaboration in person.

• ILoveRed
    2 years ago

I was working with an architect that was letting his draftsman do all of the work and it was really poor. We didn’t know this but were really disappointed when we figured it out.

We stopped working with him and found someone else that was excellent...right here on this board. you may need to find someone else. Not impressed with the SL house. Cute exterior but interior leaves a lot to be desired.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist do you have an example of a plan that has all or most of the good design elements you mentioned? Just curious to see if I notice an immediate difference between that and the Stock plans I see that don’t follow those guidelines. They all make sense but it made me think that I’ve never actually seen a well designed plan

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

A well designed plan for one person is not necessarily a well designed plan for another person. There are certain common features that are good design, but the site is often a factor. Your architect needs to take a step back and listen to your needs and re-analyze your site and not come up with a "well designed plan", but a well planned design.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I strongly recommend you not work with a remote architect. Find a good local architect that you can meet face to face, one that can brainstorm and make sketches on tracing paper as you are talking over ideas. Much easier and quicker to do this back and forth collaboration in person.

Just because you didn't have a good experience working remotely, doesn't mean everyone will. Lots of happy people have used Doug.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Em mine is well designed for two aging in place folks on our 9100 square foot lot. However what works well for us, won't necessarily work for someone with a family or someone on acreage. We built a house that works for us.

All public rooms and all bedrooms have windows on at least 2 walls.

Kitchen while part of the living/dining area is separated in the sense that no traffic flows through the kitchen.

Laundry while in the hallway to our master suite and much less than what most people want for laundry, works for us.

• chispa
    2 years ago

Just because you didn't have a good experience working remotely, doesn't mean everyone will. Lots of happy people have used Doug.

I just stated my experience, which I stand by, since I experienced it and wasted time and money with a remote architect. Aren't I allowed to share my experience and recommend that others stick to the best method, which I believe is a face to face collaboration?

Of course, if someone lives 4+ hours away from the closest architect, then maybe they have no choice to consider a remote architect, but most people can find a good architect within a reasonable distance.

And it isn't that I "didn't just have a good experience", it was actually a lousy stressful experience.

Luckily we found a great local architect and ended up with a great experience and process.

• chispa
    2 years ago

@Em, maybe you want to give your general location and others might be able to give you recommendations for a good local architect you can interview.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Em-

If you don't want a front facing garage, then you shouldn't have to have one.

They really are rather unattractive, and I wouldn't want one either.

I'd much rather have the garage on the side of the house or the back of the house, with an easy way to get in the garage so I don't have to make a sharp 90 degree turn into the garage or back out blind with my car. (The location I would prefer would depend on whether or not I had a basement, where I would be unloading my groceries into, where my neighbors are and aren't, and of course, the lot,

So it should be about you and your needs and your land.

Not what your builder wants or is used to.

I am assuming that you do not have a "staff" to unload and unpack your bags :)

Your builder's explanation sounds like a lot of bushwa to me.

Maybe some other people on this thread can comment on this?

And about the architect- she is suggesting a jut-out that makes no sense and her background is in commercial and you got her from the builder, that is, you didn't even choose her yourself???

Would you have a urologist do your brain surgery? Ok, maybe not the best analogy.

It sounds like the architect you are working with is not experienced in residential architecture, and was assigned to your home project, and is gaining experience in your home.

But you are not happy with what she is doing, and you didn't even choose her!

Yes, it is possible you could be communicating a bit better, but you are not an architect, and you don't know what you don't know, and you shouldn't be expected to.

If she were better and more experienced she would know what questions to ask you.

If you prefer a stock generic plan obtainable online to her custom architect's plan that she developed after ostensibly listening to your list of wants and needs and studying the site, then either she isn't qualified or you two are a mismatch.

If I were in your shoes, I would look for a different architect now.

There is no point throwing good money after bad.

You are not happy with her, and you will second-guess everything she does and you will never be happy with her and any plan she draws up, and furthermore, it will poison your relationship with the builder.

By the way, make your decision and leave the builder out of it.

For all you know, they could be related in some unholy way.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@loobab thank you for this - you hit the nail on the head with how I’m feeling. Also thank you for commenting on the garage- I was about to create a separate post asking about this. I don’t understand why I was Pretty much forced into front facing. I actually can’t find a single other home that the builder has done with a front facing garage!!! They are all side or courtyard. So it isn’t just that they don’t do other styles.... other styles are basically all they do! Scratching my head because I walked through my neighborhood and saw plenty of side and courtyard entry garages on sloped lots.

The lot is a gradual rear slope conducive to a walkout basement, but we really prefer no basement. But still I have seen plenty of basement houses with side entry garages.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@chispa South Carolina

• cpartist
    2 years ago

And it isn't that I "didn't just have a good experience", it was actually a lousy stressful experience.

Luckily we found a great local architect and ended up with a great experience and process.

We see a heck of a lot more people on this forum having poor experiences with local architects than those having poor experiences with remote architects. It works both ways.

• chispa
    2 years ago

That might be because 99% of people use local (in person) architects and maybe 1% use remote ones, and not because remote ones are better!

• cpartist
    2 years ago

If an architect connects with you and understands your priorities, it doesn't matter if they are remote or right next door. Trust and connecting with the client will be the biggest factor in whether or not it will be a successful partnership. Because first it's a partnership.

• chispa
    2 years ago

@Em, I think you need to meet with your builder and have a talk about the garage orientation. No point starting any other design work until you work that out with him.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@chispa i think you’re exactly right! I’ve sent my concerns to both the architect and builder and they are meeting today to discuss, and I’m meeting with the architect afterward. Anxious to hear the outcome!

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

If I were building again, I'd try to hire Doug in a heartbeat. If he couldn't be here in person, I'd supply him with videos of all views of my buildable property area. (Along with needs, wants, and dislikes.)

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

Chispa, I hired a local architect at first. He came out and studied the property. I told him what I wanted and we worked together on a house... that the builder said would cost half a million in a region that does NOT support half a million dollar homes. Mind you, this was for a 2100 sq ft home. Mind you, this also did not cover expected cost overruns, which are often expected to be about 15%. Or landscaping. The guy was affable and creative, but sometimes you have to decide to jump out of that box.

I admit I jumped into the log home kit box, rather than a new architect, and so i modified their kit plan for my own needs (I only discovered this site when I had serious kitchen design questions... I live to cook...)

I am happy here with my home, but I can see that the PROPER architect, local or distant, things might be 99% instead of 90 or 95%.. Oh, same square footage but a lot more representative of local rural prices.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We got the blessing from the builder to do a side entry garage. They're reviewing the plan I love compared to what we have and getting back to me on a recommendation.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Original poster here - we may have to seitch architects. Recommendations im or around the middle region of South Carolina?

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I figured I'd update the group - we ended up switching architects. The fee for this builder's in house architect was $1 per square foot - we are now going to be paying 7% of the construction cost for our new architect, but I'm learning you get what you pay for. The fact that she couldn't show me a portfolio, was replicating online plans exactly in "recent designs" that she did show me (I've looked online enough - when she showed me another plan she was working on, I knew just where to find the exact plan online), and this one was the final nail in the coffin: When she told me that truthfully, you will adapt to the spaces in your house - you don't have to try to fit the house to you. Wait - what?! We may delay build since this is quite a change to the budget, but, I finally feel confident that it will be worth it!

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@loobab your post is what led me to pursue other options because you hit the nail in the head with how I was feeling. Thought you'd be interested in the update above!

• cpartist
    2 years ago

What your first architect is doing is in reality copyright infringement and she could be sued for using other people's designs and just changing a room here and there. I'm surprised she has an actual degree. She sounds more like the draftsman our builder used.

And yes we are adaptable and as humans can adapt to anything but when you're paying 6 figures or more of your hard earned money, why should you have to adapt? The house should work for you!

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to seeing what your new architect creates.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Sounds like you will be happier. Best of luck on your better path.

Em thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect the new architect already sent me a view of our site with a 2500 sq foot box on it (roughly our desired home size) along with a solar orientation overlay to orient us on our next site visit. Only wish I had done this sooner!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, I sure would hate to have to select an architect if I was not an architect.

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist exactly what you said really bothered me - even if she was willing to "redraw" a plan online, (which is what she did even when I told her it wasn't exactly what I wanted), I would have bought the rights anyway because I'm a rule follower and this has just driven me crazy! I'm sure it's done all the time but still... I triple checked her credentials but we were definitely getting the "draftsman" experience.

The builder has a (very talented, might I add, based on her work I've seen) interior designer on staff too as the selections coordinator - guess I need to clarify those expectations, does she actually help with selections or just write down what I want - ha!

• Em
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect - I expect to have our first conceptual design from our new architect in 3-4 weeks. Question for you as an architect - is it okay to post those plans for feedback?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

It is okay with me, but you should ask your architect if they mind. Some architects may not want their design put through the scrutiny of review by committee. Some advice is well intended but is contrary to the intent of the architect's design concept.

Ask your architect.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Em message me please

• Architectrunnerguy
    2 years ago

Is it okay to post those plans for feedback?

As Mark said, I'd run the thought by your architect. I just wrote about the pitfalls of it here: I find it amazing... (houzz.com)

Em thanked Architectrunnerguy
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH