SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilyzl

Can this foyer be updated without help/miracles?

Emily L
2 years ago

Hey all,
I recently went to a friend's house who had updated her foyer with gray paint and white shiplap. Even though that's a little too trendy for me (my house is pretty traditional) it did look so updated and it wasn't really a lot to change. I don't want shiplap, lol, but my foyer is pretty battered and tired, and I would love to update it. However, the snag is, contractors are super scarce and booked up so ideas like wainscoting or repainting every wall aren't really possible (because the left wall continues up 14+ feet high and into the whole upstairs hallway, and I don't know if I can diy that). But I can repaint some of the walls, like maybe behind the table? And I can change out wall art, pillows, furniture, accessories, lighting. What do you think? Is there anything that can be done? Thanks!

Comments (48)

• Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Wow, you have a very pretty place. I don't think you need any wainscoting, or beadboard, or shiplap :)

I think paint is the first step, then rearranging/removing some decor. And, I'd add a rug.

So now you just have to pick the paint:). And if there is a tall wall, why not leave it the existing color, which is rather nice? It looks like you definitely have some shorter walls you can probably paint?

• Related Discussions

Can you please help me choose a rug for my foyer?

Q

Comments (31)
    Yes, it is rough on the feet. My 10 yr old son complained! I don't think I would put one in a room where you might sit or lie on the floor. I've heard that it softens over time. Will be interesting to see if that happens. Right now I almost always have socks on, but once it warms up I will be barefoot most of the time. I am wondering if I will hate it then. Hope not, because I love the way it looks. At first, my powder room door would drag. But, it was not sitting totally flat due to being rolled up during shipping. Now, it's flat and the door is fine. But, I suspect if your door is real low, it might not work.
    ...See More

How can I update my 1980s cream brick villa-unit without rendering?

Q

Comments (5)
    I move in, in a fortnight and so these were just taken with my phone and I can't get more photos until I move in unfortunately. This photo is an old pic of another villa in the complex (which has since been renovated) it shows the front veranda (such as it is) in better detail. I can actually get the paving around my villa replaced. I plan on re-paving the entire rear courtyard and so it would be ideal to do it all at the same time. But again, unsure of colors. I may also enclose the carport with a garage door.
    ...See More

How can we update without changing countertops?

Q

Comments (9)
    @Rebecca Guyon, congrats on your new home. Everyone will tell you their idea of “first steps.” The actual first step is sitting down with your device, or books in the library, or magazines, and collecting images of kitchens you love within your restrictions; so, you are keeping your counters - Google images of kitchens with black counters. The second step is to look at all of those images and dissect out the recurring themes. I once went through the inspiration images of an OA who was certain she wanted soapstone counters. Every single inspiration image had white or almost white counters. What we think we know about what we like, and what we actually gravitate toward can be so different. Take some time, gather your images, study them, then make a plan for the future.
    ...See More

How can I update without painting cabinets or touching countertops?

Q

Comments (24)
    I wouldn't paint the table. Right now, the table is there in all its natural glory (I don't want to get blocked for calling the table a word that means "unclothes", but you know which word that is!). Which is my point. A few clothes for the table (runner, placemats, centerpiece, something!) would go a long way. And when the season or your interest changes, change the table decor.
    ...See More
  • User
    2 years ago

Once you start painting or adding wall treatments it is not clear where you can stop, so I’d leave the walls alone and start with a big round rug. Then either do more to emphasize the theme of your baseball stadium poster or switch to a new feeling. I would take down the vertical framed photos to the right of the door and put a truly useful bench with a back against the wall to the left of the door. Take away the lamp, which has no function or purpose there. Do you have a foyer light overhead?

Emily L thanked User
  • User
    2 years ago

These have any appeal?

Mosaic Medallion Area Rug, Multi, 5'3" Round · More Info

Modena Rug Transitional BS-45, Yellow, 5'3"x5'3" · More Info

This next one comes in a round version and might be the most interesting with your Wrigley Field poster

Safavieh Porcello PRL7735C 6'7" Round Light Grey, Yellow Rug · More Info

Is the point of the poster that the household is diehard baseball fans or that you live in Chicago? Because if it is the latter, maybe add a vertical photo of an iconic Chicago skyscraper, and have a more modern table underneath.

Emily L thanked User
  • User
    2 years ago

Take one of the panels of this Chicago skyline tryptich and pair it with your Wrigley field poster

"Chicago Gold Coast With Skyscrapers" Metal Wall Art, 3 Panels, 36"x28" · More Info

Take away the orchid and lamp, and replace your entry table with something more industrial

Jersey Sofa Table · More Info

Safavieh Porcello PRL7735C 6'7" Round Light Grey, Yellow Rug · More Info

Balinese Samurai Wood Sculpture · More Info

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Hmmm. I feel like there are good spots to stop painting... but that's me :). I agree you might want to find someone later on if you decided to paint the 14' wall.

Emily L thanked mimimomy
  • Jeanne Cardwell
    2 years ago

I would start with using Grout Renew on your floors to match the tile so the grout lines recede. Then paint obviously and replace flat closet door with panel door. New art.

Emily L thanked Jeanne Cardwell
  • Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oops, sorry, you can't see the ceiling.

The point of the Wrigley field wall print is that I saw it at target when my husband and I were first married ages ago and said to myself, "hey, we like baseball" and it ended up there because I needed something to put there 7 years ago when we moved in. Lol. It can definitely move.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Oh, by the way, is your door wood or metal/fiberglass? If metal/fiberglass, might consider painting it white like the rest of the trim to really brighten it up. If wood.... don't!

Funny on the Wrigley field print :). Maybe come up with some inspiration pictures of what you like... a style that you like.

Emily L thanked mimimomy
  • Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The door is metal and painted SW urbane bronze. This was done just recently because the outside of the door had to be painted. We have lots of young kids and our white door had years of grubby marks so I told my husband to just keep painting, haha.

I agree that it's very hard to know where to stop painting. But @mimimomy I am open to suggestions! Also ideas for paint colors. I will browse around for some inspiration pics.

• Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some I like. I notice the theme that they all have some kind of storage, usually built in, but that will have to wait for another time, if ever.

Classic Coastal Colonial Foyer · More Info

Boutique Living · More Info

Historic Home Entry · More Info

Transitional Entry · More Info

Harbor Blues · More Info

Transitional Classic · More Info

Foyer Entry · More Info

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Without involving any contractors, here are my suggestions: I like the color you've used on your front door. Paint your stairway newell post and handrail in the same Urban bronze color. Keep the stairway trim and spindles white- paint them white again them if they can't be cleaned. Try washing your walls by the stairway to see if you can get some of the handprints off. Get a fairly neutral wool rug to use in front of the door. All of your inspiration photos have nice ones. Make sure it's wide enough to encompass the whole doorway area. Remove the window valance. Remove the pillows on the bench. Remove the books and baby photos from the entry table. Keep it simple. If it's in the budget, get a tall framed mirror to use over the entry table, and a larger, taller lamp. The stairs and the entry table are the first two things you see when entering your home, so you want them to look nice. I would also try to replace your bench with either a longer one to utilize all the space, or better yet, get a taller unit so you can have the bench, baskets for shoes, and some storage above. If you've done any electrical work, it's easy to change out the ceiling light yourself for a more updated flush mount or semi flush mount fixture.

Emily L thanked calidesign
  • User
    2 years ago

Entry units with hooks and cubbies are really not expensive. you’d need to measure, but this looks like it would fit to the left of your door, and I think you can find bigger ones if you want to put it on the wall next to the stairs. If you don’t like the color, you can paint it.

Industrial Hall Tree, 4 Double Hooks & 2 Removable Wire Baskets, Weathered Grey · More Info

Emily L thanked User
  • JP L
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I know you're after low-hanging fruit here, but to my eye, the biggest opportunities are 1) changing the floor, 2) removing the popcorn/texture on the ceiling and 3) getting a new light fixture.

Because the space isn't massive (and depending on how handy you are), retiling might be an option. Just switching to a black and white checker tile or something more traditional/less builder-grade/plain would totally transform the space. You could even explore painting the tile (although I've never done this so not sure how it holds up to traffic over time - but it could be a good interim solution until demand recedes on labor/materials).

Tile inspiration:

Your space makes me think of encaustic tile like they have in entries (and porches) in the UK - it's pretty timeless and durable.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/owl-house-contemporary-entry-san-francisco-phvw-vp~147200809

https://www.houzz.com/photos/cement-tiles-victorian-style-hallway-traditional-entry-london-phvw-vp~39958728

And a super fun out-there option: https://www.houzz.com/photos/lifestyle-ideas-industrial-london-phvw-vp~16072190 (just to prove it doesn't have to be boring B&W checkerboard)

Removing popcorn/texture is super messy, but extremely easy. Same for switching out the light fixture.

There's opportunity to work on the stairs as well, but I'd wait until you don't need gates/barriers for the little folks anymore (I think I spy a gate attachment on your post). Then, I'd look into removing the carpet on the stairs and painting or refinishing the railings. That would be a good point to explore any additional wall treatments or moldings.

Interesting that several of your inspiration photos involve wallpaper - maybe that's an option, too?

I also noticed that your console table is accumulating lots of items (solidarity there). A wall mounted cabinet might be a good option to conceal some of the clutter. Ikea's Besta looks great in entries. If not wall mounted, even switching the table and open shelving to a concealed cabinet (a small dresser or unit with doors) would work.

Emily L thanked JP L
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

can you open the front door, stand on the porch, and shoot a picture straight ahead? let me see the area all around the staircase

the first thing I'd try to DIY is the staircase. The bottom portion where the newel post is supposed to be looks odd. that wood piece juts out and should be redone.

https://www.sandandsisal.com/2016/03/painted-staircase-makeover.html

try something like this on the landing wall (I know you don't have a window). YOu could do simple Tongue and Groove flooring pieces (LL 6' pine TG flooring planks) and paint it. The LL planks are a lot cheaper than buying TG shiplap at home depot. I used them in a trailer redo.

Or just try something like this. the wall color is SW Creamy

as for the boob light, easy enough to get something different and switch out. I had a very similar one I just got rid of.

The wall color on this one is Pale Oak. trim is White Dove

I like Simply White

Emily L thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    2 years ago

So here are a couple of wider hall trees that are darker if you are looking to extend the dark color of your door. You could put one facing the door, and opposite it you could replace what is to the left of the door with a full length mirror. Or a round mirror

Homestyles Bermuda Wood Hall Tree in Brown · More Info

General Line Hall Tree By Homestyles, Black · More Info

You could follow the suggestion to redo your floor in black-and-white checkerboard. You can actually do this with paint yourself.

A new ceiling fixture would be good

4-Light Foyer With Black Finish · More Info

Throw pillow for the hall tree bench

Flower Circles Faux Suede Fabric Pillow Navy Blue Black Yellow Gray on White 16" · More Info

Emily L thanked User
  • User
    2 years ago

@Beth H. :Houzz has a feature whereby if you click on something you like, it will give you a couple of dozen similar items, in different colors and sizes. Earlier I posted a picture of a lighter hall tree, so you or the original poster can browse around for different sizes. Ditto for the pendant, which might come in a semi-flush mount version — or something similar If that style appeals.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ital- You may know that, but the poster doesn't. she may think a 21" light would be fine, not realizing how big it is. when you click on the link, it doesn't have semi flush alternatives. It has other pendant lights.

Instead of posting something that doesn't fit this low ceiling, post the semi flush version of what you think would work. All I'm saying is to recommend products that are conducive to the OP's room, like the proper light size. Showing a product that, in no way, will work in her space, doesn't do much to help her. Just a helpful hint

Ditto the large trees. you could say, "this one is too large for your space, but maybe they have something similar in a 3' version". This way the OP understands what you're showing.

• User
    2 years ago

@Beth H. :

I think we can credit the poster with a minimum of intelligence.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ital,,,you're completely missing the point of what I said, but whatever.

why post a light they can't use? post the light that fits the room space! it's just common sense. Or not. forget I said anything.

• Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lol, no worries on the size issue. But I am glad you hashed it out a bit, to be honest! Because while I do have a modicum of intelligence in an Oxbridge sort of way, I also love pendant lights! Especially ones that look a bit like a lantern or sphere. So I appreciate your comments, both of you, and I will stick to flush or semi flush.

Well I love all these suggestions!!

- the floor: I have definitely thought about painting. We need to redo the kitchen someday and this floor continues there, so presumably we can replace it all at once then. But painting is an option for now. Especially something a bit simpler like checkerboard.

- rug: I'd love a rug but it would have to be a machine washable size. 6 kids, all young, manage to put everything everywhere. I wonder if a machine washable size would be too small for the space? Or still better than nothing?

- the bannister and newel post: I have been thinking this exact thing. They were both dark wood before the previous homeowner painted over them white badly, so the paint gunked up and pulled off in places. I like the dark color.

I decided not to tag people because there are just so many of you who all had such great suggestions, but thank you! You have given me so much to think about.

Oh question: would you put a bench longer than the space next to the window, with baskets under? Or would that look stupid?

• JP L
    2 years ago

SIX kids and your house is that clean? You’re my hero!

Emily L thanked JP L
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

you mean a bench here?

I gave you a semi flush light!

You could, but I'd remove that saddle or sill portion. in fact, what might look better all around, is to redo the casing on the window. What I can see looks a little off compared to the large sill size.

just get a 2-3" plain case molding, (already primed white) and do this, but w/plain case molding

then bring in an inset blind of some type

simple trim around the window w/a slight reveal. you could easily get pine boards or mdf case trim and do this.

personallly I like to miter the corners, but that's me. like this. simple square casing.

Emily L thanked Beth H. :
  • ulisdone
    2 years ago

I think you should repeat your wood floor color in the foyer; through a furniture piece or wall hung frame, baskets, window shade, etc.

Also, I have used the synthetic flat woven patio rugs successfully in foyers. They can be taken outside and hosed and scrubbed, and they dry quickly. A patterned boho type would add some color to your space.

Emily L thanked ulisdone
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

I agree with ulisdone - if you can remove the tile and extend the wood flooring into your foyer that will make a vast difference. Would also suggest removing the carpeting from the stairs and replacing with wood treads and risers to match the flooring. The stair railing isn't in good shape and is dated. If you could replace with an iron railing that also would be a big improvement. Good luck!

Emily L thanked Norwood Architects
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Great advice already! Don't know what your budget is (nor your location) but I'm in Canada and always envious of Target's affordable stylish furniture and decor options. If you have a vision in mind for your space (lighter? brighter? more functional?), you can refresh the area in stages. I would start with the wall next to the stairs and consider a wider console table with closed storage then style it simply.

This Studio McGee designed Threshold console table is on sale right now at $264.00.

Alternatively, perhaps a 3-drawer dresser would make sense there? You can probably find a functional and well-made option secondhand that can be easily painted (chalk and mineral paints are so easy!).

I like the look of a table lamp on an entry console but the base has to have some width. Again, Target has great options. Another Threshold option below. Not enamoured of the drum shade but love the detail on the base. (The shades on retail lamps are always too high for my taste but I think changing the harp is an easy trick for that?)

Start collecting your inspo pics to see what really appeals to you. You're lucky to have such a spacious entry with which to work - so many decor and storage options!

ETA: Ruggable offers washable rugs. Another alternative for easy care colourful rugs are vinyl ones (don't know how slippery these get). Here's one source of many for these. If you're considering painting your tile floor, you could stencil a rug. Lots of tutorials for this option.

Emily L thanked tartanmeup
  • Maureen
    2 years ago

I’d decide on priorities: kid friendly, functionality, figure out the look you want by looking at inspiration pictures, decide on budget, then begin. I think the wall color is fine and once you make updates to complement, the color will look like it was chosen on purpose! For less than a $1,000 you could have a great space with lots of personality.

Start with a large vinyl rug at front door to grab attention away from the tile. It’s a practical choice as well and can also be your jumping off point (could paint the door’s interior to complement).

Easy, practical, inexpensive decor additions. HomeSense excursion!

Paint staircase per below and add black framed family pictures. Repetition helps to pull a space together. Note the black light below and bench’s legs to help as well.

If doing a collage, play around with best layout (try Ikea for frames). Can buy Bristol board at craft store if you want look below. Can use 3M picture tape to secure vs nails, if you want to change around.

A really cute light will be the icing on the cake. Get a pendant that the chain or rope can be adjusted, as that will open up lots more choices vs just considering semi flush.

Emily L thanked Maureen
  • Sammie J
    2 years ago

I agree with everything Maureen posted ... in addition, I'd get a grout stain that matches your tiles, and "paint" all of the grout so it disappears...

Emily L thanked Sammie J
  • Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Maureen I had not considered a vinyl rug, can you link to that one? Thanks for your suggestions. I am thinking a rug is more possible than stenciling. Ruggable or vinyl or outdoor rugs all seem like good options but my only concern is that this area is traversed about 12,000 times per day, so I'm worried about upturned edges and lots of trips. Though we did have a cheap runner by the door for years without incident.

• Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your help! I think I need to focus on baby steps rather than everything at once. I'm thinking

1. First scrub the walls in the stairwell, remove the old gate attachment, and sand off the peeling paint (labor first, because spending money is easier and more fun than labor)

2. Get a mirror for above the table. I was thinking a rectangle.

3. Decide between a hall tree and a bench with bins under and hooks/shelf above.

I like the look better of a bench with little totes under and hooks above. It's less massive than a hall tree. Some ideas - black bench open under like this.

Greeting Area · More Info

With storage under:

And I think we might gain shoe storage space that way. 8 people times two pair each (yeah right) is at least 32 shoes minimum.

On the other hand, the wall behind that I can't touch up looks like this

So the pillows are partly functional. Load-bearing pillows. :)

A hall tree would be easier, you just buy and assemble, and it hides all that. Hmm.

Another question: what do I do after I have a mirror above the table? One person said the lamp was useless (pretty accurate), others said to get a taller one, or a wider one, or two lamps.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

My sister in law has a large rectangle vinyl mat at her front door and at first glance, I thought they had laid tile down. The one she purchased is heavy, doesn’t curl or move. They are becoming quite popular, so lots of styles, size options and price ranges to choose from. Could search Pinterest for vinyl rugs; below is the link to the Etsy one I provided, but there are lots of others.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/881617716/astolpho-45-vinyl-floor-mat-vinyl-rug?utm_medium=display_product&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=us_pros_shopping_olfgms_nb&utm_content=homeliving&utm_custom2=626743693018&pp=1&epik=dj0yJnU9dGxzSlJkNFJ1NEpvUk5PcmZRaTROdWdtQzdKaG93aFMmcD0wJm49amFUc3ZGcV9QNmNSOUN1elo5TVBUUSZ0PUFBQUFBR0N4TGNz

Emily L thanked Maureen
  • User
    2 years ago

If you have a good foyer light you don’t need a lamp on the table. After you get the mirror, leave the orchid if you like but other wise leave it empty so people coming in have a place to set down their purse while they take off their coat.

Emily L thanked User
  • mimimomy
    2 years ago

Try magic erasers on the wall. The worst that will happen is some of the paint comes off. Paint will look better than scuff marks :). I like your ideas.

Emily L thanked mimimomy
  • calidesign
    2 years ago

Just a thought, after hearing about all the kids. Is that a coat closet with the narrow door? It looks like a good sized space. You may consider removing the door and turning the space into a mudroom type area, with hooks, shoe space, and floor to ceiling cubbies for all the kids. That way you could keep just a simple bench next to the door for removing or putting on shoes, but keep everything contained in the closet.

Maple Leaf · More Info

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    2 years ago

On second thought though, would paint the floor. Dont bother cleaning the grout ...just paint some black pattern on the white tile. Use stencils and dont worry about getting everytjing perfect, you can go for a worn out effect think spanish cement tiles. You can paint every other square or more spaced out

Also paint the door sidelites as well as the banister with same paint

Chnge the boob light!

And consider swapping the console table and bench positions. The console table would fit better next to the door (shallower than the bench) and you can use it to drop keys and mail when getting in. You will need an art above it(choose) and maybe a plant though no need for a lamp. The bench can be next to the stairs much like your inspiration picture

This way you can have a larger bench with more storage

Loose the window covering, it is not needed

Emily L thanked LilDesignWorks
  • PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    2 years ago

Storage benches

• User
    2 years ago

Here is advice to follow or rules to break, depending on your outlook! (The reader’s comments are fascinating.)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-avoid-the-5-worst-entryway-decorating-mistakes-11622209818?mod=hp_major_pos3#cxrecs_s

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"...That includes the detritus that Covid has littered our lives with, such as masks and sanitizers. Kristen Peña, of San Francisco’s K Interiors, noted that while we must stay safe, “it’s important that your entry has a more-welcome, less-E.R. feel.”"

This made me chuckle. My local COVID rules mean my entry can't welcome anyone who doesn't live here and my family doesn't care if the entry hints at an E.R. The next tip recommends a Persian rug for the entry - a much better choice than an industrial grade one. I really can't wrap my head around that one for my 4-season climate. Salt and slush on a Persian carpet?!? *shudders*

The article is behind a paywall so that's as far I got.

Another question: what do I do after I have a mirror above the table? One person said the lamp was useless (pretty accurate), others said to get a taller one, or a wider one, or two lamps.

What do YOU think? This is your entry to make as functional and as appealing as you choose. If the current lamp is useless, does it make sense for you to replace it or place two there? There are no actual laws about all this decor stuff. I happen to like the look of a table lamp and I would place one in my entry if I could. Do you have other table lamps in your house to try in the spot? Start with trying out stuff like that to see what makes sense to you function and look-wise. There's usually more than one way to achieve one's decor goals. And baby steps make a lot of sense for many of us! In my case, my taste and budget aren't even on speaking terms so I always start by deciding on a budget for a space before I get too enamoured with the inspo pics. The next consideration that truly determines my project scope is how much time and effort I have and want to deploy on the project.

Your mind might be reeling from all the ideas shared in the thread but if you keep functionality in mind as you mull over the ideas, you'll be just fine. Best of luck with your project and hope you'll post "after" pics. :)

• Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@calidesign That is a great idea! But unfortunately, no, that is a powder room. The coat closet is under the stairs behind the console table, and it has no back to it so the entire space under the stairs can be used for storage. (No basement!) But I love that idea.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    2 years ago

To answer your latest question, any shape mirror would work above the console. Here are some styling ideas

My preference would be for a round or oval, a rectangular will be too paralel to the side of the door and window

• Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@LilDesignWorks beautiful ideas, thanks!

@tartanmeup yes, you are definitely right that the biggest limiting factor is the time and effort I have to spend. But I'm really not great at all this stuff, so I appreciate everyone's help.

But you said "My local COVID rules mean my entry can't welcome anyone who doesn't live here and my family doesn't care if the entry hints at an E.R." You mean right now???? Really?? I purposely don't follow the news anymore, but here in Texas things have been mostly normal since last August, and no masks in most places for the last month or so. I didn't know there was anywhere that would try to tell people who they could bring into their house! Well hopefully back to normal soon.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

If that area under the stairs is open for storage, you may be able to open the side in the hallway, around the corner from the entry, to use that for your mudroom type storage. With lots of kids I'd be looking at any way to get more functional storage.

Sunnyside Project · More Info

Under-stair storage · More Info

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

@Emily L, in my area, we've only been allowed to have visitors in our backyard since yesterday. (Construction workers were okay. Don't even ask about the logic...) No more than 2 different households though. We'll get to normal soon. :)

Since your limiting factors are time and energy, I think you should decide on your priorities here (determined by your goals) and see what gives you the quickest and biggest bang for your buck. If you just simply want to see something different and fresh there, consider commissioning your kids for artwork for the wall above the console table. You decide on the canvas size (and colours if you want) but I bet you'd end up something pretty cool for that spot. Here's a bunch of ideas on how to display the art. You can do a gallery wall, a huge collage...

The quickest (and free!) way to see something different there is to simply rearrange pieces as others have suggested and try different decor from other rooms.

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

@Emily L Load bearing pillows 😆

If you go with a rug, get some double sided rug tape. Home Depot has it in varying sizes and strengths. It works great! Very strong although my package doesn't say it's 6 kid proof. Maybe only 4 but it's not expensive so you could give it a try.

Emily L thanked tozmo1
  • Emily L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well so far all we have done is to scrub the walls -- there's more to do, but that has already made some noticeable difference! I'm ashamed to say I didn't think it was really cleanable but the magic eraser is indeed magic. As for the next step, my husband thinks we should focus less on what he calls "oversized non-functioning compasses" (his catch-all for random decorative items) and try to stick to changes that would improve functionality. So I'm mostly focusing now on what size/capacity hall tree or storage bench/hooks we could get that would fit either where the console table is now (as someone suggested, we might have more space there) or by the door, that would fit and conceal more shoes and gear. And we will slowly make progress with the bannister, etc. Thanks everyone!