SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmhaas

Header Above Fireplace

Brian Haas
2 years ago

So, my contractor installed the header above a gas fireplace too high, and now I can't mount a TV above the fireplace because I don't have enough space (I could mount one, but it would be way high). I'm trying to figure out what to do. Would it be unreasonable to ask to have the finished wall taken down and the framing adjusted? Here's what happened: I bought a fireplace with a venting kit that allows the wall to stay cool and have a TV mounted low above the fireplace. I gave the contractor the specs for both the fireplace and the venting kit, both of which state the height for the header. The contractor did the framing, and the fireplace retailer installed the actual unit (after inspecting the framing). The contractor installed the header at the height that would be appropriate should there be no venting kit attached. It's an understandable mistake, but now I can't put a TV there (which was the whole purpose of the venting kit in the first place). I'm also kind of pissed at the fireplace company...shouldn't they have alerted the contractor to adjust the height of the header? Any guidance about how to proceed? Am I over-reaching, and should I just find another place for the TV and buy a piece of art to put there?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio