SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7393714

New Home Build - Help!

User
2 years ago
  • My husband and I are downsizing from about 2500 SF to > 2000 SF. We sold our home 10/20. We are building on a one-acre lot in a residential neighborhood on a small lake. Homes range on from $375,000-$800,000.

• We live in an area with very loose zoning. Thus, we determined to only build with a reputable builder that builds to accepted codes in the closest metro area.

The Builder

• Doing do diligence to the best of our ability, we interviewed 6 - 7 builders in our area. One well known in our area was a bait and switch builder. Gave us a bid that didn’t include driveways, septic, etc. He built a neighbor’s house (they told us later that they found him to be unscrupulous). We interviewed another builder who built another neighbor’s house; found out later they’re in litigation. These were $400,000-$500,000 homes. This is what we have faced.

• We found a builder who’s been building for 30-40 years. He has an A+ BBB rating; no legal actions taken against him in his career. His references from home owners were very good. He’s used the same subs for years; vendors all commented (unprompted) what an upstanding guy he is. He builds to the current codes in the closest metro area.

• We looked at home plans for 3-4 years and had a plan drawn for a 2100-2200 SF home. Later we found a newly released stock plan > 2000 SF that ticked off all our boxes, so we decided to downsize more and chose that plan.

• We contacted the architect / designer for that plan directly to request a modification (a gabled front rather than a dormer front, the roof otherwise was the same). He told us would work on it and get back to us. We never heard back from him. We contacted him again and was assured he’d get back to us shortly. Again, we never heard back.

• Several months later we found a builder that we’d been considering had already built the above mentioned plan. We toured the home interior; it was a good fit.

We talked about changing the elevation from a dormer to a gable front. (The plans he showed us had the name of the above mentioned architect). We were told it was no problem to change the dormer to a gable.

• He gave us an amended plan (same designer’s name for the chosen plan).

• The plan we chose was done with a classic, simple roof line. Beautifully symmetrical. This was a MAIN draw for us because we dislike the massive, McMansion roofs). We looked for 3+ years to find a floor plan with this type of elevation.

The Problem

• So far during the framing we have found:

A missing door to the back patio
A window in the wrong place
Two windows missing in the eaves
A pantry door that’s too short

All of which the builder has been amenable about correcting.

The Biggie

• The house is being framed. The elevation of the roofline is not the same! We spoke to the builder and he acknowledged it isn’t the same. We are not contractors - that’s why we are paying for someone else to oversee the build. What can we do? The beautiful classic roofline is not there. I am completely perplexed why it wasn’t done according to the plan?

• Additionally, it’s been raining here. What is the protocol for building when everything’s gotten soaking wet?

• There’s black on a support beam on the front porch (of the wrong elevation). “It’s algae. No problem.”
    My spouse has had asthma and I am concerned we do not have a mold problem with this and all the rain.

How’re we to move forward? This has been terribly stressful and disappointing. Then I think how I should just be happy to have a home, so should all the “details” matter?

How do we track the progress responsibly and interact with the builder peacefully? Any thoughts?

Comments (18)