SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_342714537

Is Bona Naturalseal changing my stain color? please help

Allie
2 years ago

I finally decided on a stain combination that I’m very excited about using on our newly installed white oak floors. I chose Duraseal 2 parts Weathered Oak to 1 part Special Walnut and decided on Bona Traffic HD satin. I read that a sealer must be used with white oak, so I had the installer apply Bona sealer and Poly to the stain sample on the floor. The sample poly was Mega One, not the Traffic HD. I don’t know if that makes a difference on the sample. It may have been all he had today, but I’ll make sure he applies Traffic HD on actual coats. The problem is the stain colors that I loved so much have lightened and changed significantly. The stain color appears lighter, less saturated, and less brown than the original. In addition to that, the sheen level appears shinier than I think satin should be. The installer used Bona Naturalseal and there are boxes on the front that appear to indicate something. Clarity level? Could this product be what is making the stain color appear lighter? The liquid appears murky, not clear, so it would make sense that perhaps it’s what is lightening the color. And if it’s more white, maybe it’s reflecting light that makes the satin poly appear shinier?? I will make sure that he applies Traffic HD to the floor when he applies poly, but I wanted to be clear here about what products were applied to the sample, because I need to figure out why the color changed and lightened. I strongly suspect the problem is some color in the seal that’s lightening it. Am I correct and can I achieve that original sample color if I avoid using sealer and go straight to poly? Sorry for the long explanation. Trying to be concise and clear.

Comments (37)