SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diana_vance42

Kitchen backsplash

3 years ago

We have replaced counters and removed part of the backsplash (already took out the 4 inch counter backsplash). We like a white subway tile in 4x12 but have size concerns for that low area above our sink. It is 5 inches high.

I have tried searching the internet and Houzz for examples on how to properly size tiles where it is like this but I can't think of the right search terms so I don't find anything. We have two ideas (other than finding a different sized tile altogether). Grout will probably be 1/8.

Idea 1 is to cut the tile a little on the bottom (inch or so) and then continue the shortened tile all the way around. The second tile on top is also shortened but once you get to the second picture we will extend it to the full size.

Idea 2 is to keep the full size but the piece on top will be very small. And then same thing, once you get to the second picture you'll extend it to full size.

Which one do you suggest? I could switch the size (I also like a 3x8) but my husband really likes this one because it has a very small waviness to it which he loves. But if there is no way this will look good, then let me know please.

(I tried to draw this out as an example but couldn't get it right. Is there a website I can enter in dimensions and tile and grout and lay it out?)

Pic of kitchen before changes:

Picture showing the tile we like up against the two spots marked by the blue arrows above.

Comments (3)