SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hms99

How do I fit a laundry, pantry, kitchen, & dining in this space?

Hannah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I originally posted asking about layout ideas...but had a more specific question in regards to the layout of the kitchen/dining/laundry/pantry side of the house.

I've been working with a designer and we've come up with a few iterations. On my original wish list were (1) updating the owners bed and bath, (2) adding a guest bed and bath, and (3) shifting the dining room to the back of the house and adding a larger laundry and pantry (ideally with a laundry sink, but not sure if there is room). I think I have a plan for the Owners bed and bathroom and still working on configuring a guest bed and bath in the basement space, but I'm hoping for some ideas related to creating a larger laundry/mudroom and pantry.

Family of 3 (plus grandma in the MIL suite in the basement). Two dogs and a cat--we live on 12 acres and love the indoor/outdoor feel of our house. We typically use the side entrance (in the current dining room) which results in a lot of shoes and coats hanging off dining chairs. I'm not sure there is enough space to have a walk-in pantry and a laundry/mudroom space--given that, should I prioritize one (which one)? Is there a different layout I'm not considering?

Here is the current first floor layout:

Here are two solutions we (my designer and I) have come up with.

Idea #1 fits in the laundry/mudroom and the pantry, but I think the dining space would be very tight (10'). I think instead of adding a post in the kitchen area, we would add a larger wall between the dining and living room. I'm not sure how I feel about the laundry closet (seems like we would have baskets of clothes sitting by the front door).

Idea #2 has a large pantry, but removes the door we use most often to access the fenced in side yard. I like the larger kitchen and dining space, but not sure how useful it would be to eliminate the door to the side yard (or if we would just go through the dining room, which would leave us with the same dining room mess as we currently have). Still unsure about the laundry closet (baskets of clothes by the front door).

Comments (26)