...all about the egg.....

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

This came up a half dozen years ago...a 70's-ish egg ring mold. More thumbs down that up, lol. I started an 'egg' folder a couple years ago. Found this pic and am wondering maybe an easy way to crack a dozen eggs maybe Bain Marie, for an egg salad.

After 60 years success making deviled eggs, mom no longer can do the task. It was her signature for pot lucks for years. Always requested. She loves egg salad so thinking of making a treat when I visit.

Or an egg breakfast 'mini' that freezes.

SaveComment17Like
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nekotish

Interesting concept. Curious to hear your take on it if you make it.

Save    
plllog

That's cool! Annie knows what thecindustrial version is called. Hard boiled egg cylinders with perfectly centered, even yolks in each slice.

Have you tried making hard eggs in your steam oven? Streamed are great!

Save    

I do like steamed eggs if I'm doing a big batch for a crowd like with the Costco eggs. The eggs I'm getting are different sizes, not graded. I do have an open cart with WholeFoodsAmazon and added a couple dozen to try this for mom.

Thought to do a search and I see it is popular....called 'no-peel egg salad'. This will be a game-changer for mom. I gave her a set of small loaf pans a few years ago. Here is one of many using an insta-pot. HERE .I just need to try it using a regular oven or toaster oven. Probably covered with foil low and slow.

My favorite eggs are 'variegated'. Not scrambled. Just straight into the pan, low and slow. Get a few yolk jammy bits. But fully cooked. Shows the different size eggs. They don't steam evenly.

Makes a nice quick egg salad. Very creamy needing less mayo.

2 Likes Save    

We really like marinated ramen eggs. Soy or Tamari, ginger, garlic...lots of water or they are too salty. I usually just steam 4 eggs but mid last summer I had a few dozen eggs at one point. What a disaster, lol. I took a chance on six eggs. Picked similar sizes but maybe the yolks were different sizes. One egg perfect, one had a raw yolk and everything in-between. Shells stuck like I've never witnessed. I did let them age a couple weeks.

1 Like Save    

Our vegetable box comes every other week. I've been making a frittata twice a month all 2020 and still now the Monday or Tuesday before a Wednesday delivery. Using every combination of veg/cheese/ham, etc. Crisper drawer misfits.

That would be 24 frittatas 2020. 😳 Easy and quick for a weeknight with some lunch/brunch leftovers. Mandolined thin potato started on the stovetop. Covered with a lid to steam and start the bottom crisping. Then search for veg...add as I chop. Into the oven. Such a quickie.

Cast iron works great. I cracked/thermal shocked my cast iron dutch oven lid that was a favorite for 25 years. Picked up this staub, Cyber Monday a couple years ago to replace it.

Super thin potato on top gets crispy like potato chips.

2 Likes Save    
plllog

For about half the year, I made vegetable quiches or gratins. We all got tired of them. I should try frittatas instead. :)

Save    

And I miss a pastry crust but they are always frozen not able to plan ahead or have the time to make from scratch.

Another good egg combination...taco with black beans and kimchi. (or salsa)

1 Like Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, I had an egg taco with some peach salsa a few weeks ago, it was better than I expected!

The purpose of eggs in a tube was to get perfect slices for restaurant salads, etc. I think if I wanted a bunch of eggs for egg salad and didn't want to boil them, I'd probably crack a dozen into a baking pan and bake them until done but not brown then dump out the square and chop it up. That would give you the traditional pieces of white.

I've made a lot of frittatas and quiche this year, but I still need to try that sliced potato crust that sleevendog mentions above, I think I'd like that. I always seem to have vegetables that need using, whether they are raw or cooked and leftover.

Annie

Save    
lindac92

why steamed eggs? The egg doesn't know if the shell was submerged in water or steam or just a hot oven.
I'll boil my eggs it's really lots easier!

Save    
plllog

Steamed eggs in an egg steamer are the easiest, but steamed in a steam oven are next. Boiling works if you don’t have a steam appliance, but Steaming is much easier, IMHO.

Save    
Coco

I steam stove top.

Speaking of eggs, I made a rich, decadent version of scrambled eggs last night.

1 Like Save    
beesneeds

We love our eggs here in many, many ways... but I have to say I have never seen the egg ring trick before. That's actually kind of neat. Lightly grease the pan and sprinkle with seasonings, and top off the eggs with a bit more seasoning before cooking... serve it off as a filled ring of salads that often get served with a slice or two of eggs. Potato salad maybe. Or tuna, ham, chicken salads served along with some small sliced breads.

Bet with some prep and thought, one could do a sort of baked scotch egg ring with it... mmmmm.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Oooh, beesneeds, I haven't made scotch eggs in a while, I should do that while my "girls" are still giving me a couple dozen eggs a day. Thanks!

The egg ring mold is interesting but I just can't imagine trying to get that out all in one piece, LOL. Maybe silicone...

Annie

Save    
Islay Corbel

Scotch eggs made with quail's eggs are nice as smaller bites!

Save    
plllog

OMG! Peeling quail eggs! Sounds delicious if someone else is making them. :)

Save    
annie1992

I wonder if those little canned/peeled/cooked quail eggs that I see at the Asian groceries would work?

Right now, though, I have 38 dozen in the fridge, and I just sold 18 dozen. My freezer has enough frozen eggs to last me for a couple of years, LOL, and the eggs Elery and I had for breakfast were dated February 8. The pandemic hit and closed down the B&B, who was buying 12 dozen a week, and of course, I'd just increased my flock. They are right across across the street and had better open pretty soon, although I have been selling to neighbors pretty regularly, enough to still have enough room in the "egg fridge" to put the fresh ones daily. I sell the freshest ones and use the rest myself. I just feel badly that they've been closed for over a year now, and that's their livelihood. (sigh)

So, I guess I won't be buying eggs any time soon. :-)

Annie

Save    
beesneeds

Wow annie, that's a lot of eggs!! How are you freezing them- and thawing them? I tried the basic scramble them up and freeze raw into cubes, and I wasn't terribly impressed with the thaw out.

Have you ever tried water glassing your eggs?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories