Mattress woes pt. 2 update on Novaform from Costco

always1stepbehind

How did anyone else do with their Novaform? On my original post, a couple other posters were getting the Novaform.

Strike 1. I really wanted to like this mattress.

I slept on it 4 and 1/2 nights. I knew there'd be some getting used to but by Friday night, I just couldn't do it anymore. I had gone to bed and tried to get comfortable and thought "now way".. I got up, pulled the mattress off and put back my other mattress. It was SUCH a relief to lie back down on my mattress. It was soft, had some give. Felt good. Minus the pit. I would be completely happy with my mattress if it wasn't for the sagging.

This particular Novaform mattress is rated as Medium softness, I think I need to stay with Plush.

There wasn't enough cush for me. I knew it would feel different, there wasn't any spring to the mattress but I figured I'd get used to that. But by the 5th night, even on my back, it felt too hard for me. And it was hot. The first couple nights I was hot. I took off the bedspread and it felt comfortable temp wise and I thought I was ok with the mattress at that point, but I just couldn't deal with the comfort of it.

I was going to just keep it for my son, but he already sleeps hot. Wakes up sweating. I don't think this will work for him. I will be returning to Costco.

So...my dilemma is how do I get a soft mattress that wont sag?? I remember someone commenting on another mattress thread, they use an affordable firm mattress with a foam topper.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SEA SEA

We've had a Novafoam from Costco in the past. We called it the TacoBed. It was like sleeping in a taco. But yours is too hard, so maybe they have different varieties.

After the TacoBed, we moved to a firm mattress. Much better, but wow, it's firm. Limbs go numb, firm. We recently got a latex mattress topper in 'medium' from SleepOnLatex. The thickest version they have. Very happy now.

Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
always1stepbehind

SEA SEA: I currently a Beautyrest Taco. Only taco mattress I've ever had. Never had this issue before.

Save    
SEA SEA

Yea, it was a surprise to us too to end up sleeping in a taco pit of a bed. Send it back. We did. Back then, if you ordered online, they would send someone to come pick it up and take away. If you bought in warehouse, you had to bring it back yourself.

Anyhow, getting a firm mattress with a cushy to your liking topper might be the ticket. It was for us, but we are all different. Hoping it works out for you. Buying a new bed is an ordeal, at best.

Save    
maifleur03

I seem to remember a similar topic a couple of years ago where then consensus was that foam mattress's tended to be sleep hotter than other types so am not surprised that you felt too warm. They may have also mentioned that in winter they were cooler but that may have only been when initially getting in bed.

Save    
jakkom

We recently bought a mattress so did quite a bit of research. Latex - true latex - is the coolest but also the heaviest. As we have a CA King bed a latex mattress would be seriously heavy!

I like a firm mattress for my back but you are right that 'firm' can be a little too 'firm'!

We settled for a hybrid spring, so I purchased a latex mattress pad as a topper. Latex does tend to be very firm, so "soft" in a latex is more equivalent to "medium" in other pads. I went for a 3" pad, and although I sleep "hot" have had no trouble with it retaining heat, unlike the previous two Stearns & Foster mattresses we had. I do think the latex has lived up to the claims that it is cooler than foam or even gel-foam cushioning.

I'd recommend getting a cover for it - makes it much easier to handle.

Save    
nicole___

I just purchased "three" NEW mattresses. We start out cold, then wake up hot. No memory foam for us. JC Penney is having a mattress sale. We liked the Sealy Posturpedic pillow top. If you have a store nearby you....maybe...drop by and try a few out....?

My neighbor uses a feather bed on top of her old.....really old....mattress. She says she loves it!

Save    
always1stepbehind

nicole: I've been looking at their sales. Thanks.

1 Like Save    
pudgeder

My Grandmother had a "firm" bed. I called it rock hard. When I would go to visit her, I slept well on it the FIRST night. After that it was miserable.

However, she was well adapted to it.

Glad you shared your review, Always!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz 31 True Tales of Remodeling Gone Wild
Drugs, sex, excess — the home design industry is rife with stories that will blow your mind, or at least leave you scratching your head
Full Story