SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakeviewmama

First home -- furniture advice

lakeviewmama
9 years ago

Hi all. I've been reading this forum on-and-off for the past several months as we hunted for our first home.

We are closing next month on a really gorgeous 1950s rambler that has been beautifully remodeled, and we are hoping this will be our home for quite awhile.

Prior to this, we had lived in a 2-bedroom apartment, filled mostly with hand-me-downs and Ikea. We are ready for an upgrade.

Our most urgent needs are:
- The living room, everything (pic attached), but most urgently a sofa and chair or two
- A dining room table and chairs (no room/need for storage right now)
- A king-size bed and nightstands, dresser for the master bedroom (don't want it to be a matching set)
- Nice curtains! I have become obsessed with the idea of getting really nice full (wide!) curtains in our living room and master bedroom, but don't know where to sew and don't know where to buy curtains wider than the silly skinny ones I see on most big windows

We are just starting to hunt, but honestly don't know where to go. We have a relatively healthy budget (~$10-15k for all of the above, wouldn't mind stretching that over 6 months to take our time), want to buy things that we will enjoy for 10+ years, but also are a young family so need things that aren't too precious.

Where would you shop? I'm a design amateur, but like the "look" of things at Crate & Barrel and in general think we like a mix of traditional pieces with a bit more of a contemporary look, and neutral colors. I have seen people on this forum recommend a wide variety of furniture brands that I don't see available in my midwestern town, and I don't think we have the budget to work with an interior designer who might have access to these items.

Would love advice on:
1 - where to shop
2 - which pieces we should invest in vs. save on

Thanks!

Comments (20)