SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_leier

New Flush Beam in Kitchen Remodel Possible?

Chris
3 years ago

We are in the design phase of our kitchen remodel and am looking for some guidance on what my contractor is telling me regarding the loadbearing wall/beam that we will be removing during this process. As pictured, there is a 7.5' span of the central load bearing beam (home is typical 35'x25' cape cod) that we are looking to sink up in the ceiling so the ceiling is flush. This is on the 1st floor, with a steel beam in the basement ceiling directly below it and there is a second floor above it. The ceiling joists are 2x10's, so we are hoping with that amount of room and the fact the span is only 7.5' that a flush beam will be possible and that the new point loads will be fine with the existing structure below. One, from this very high level information do you think a flush mount beam will be possible in this application?

Two, one of the end bearings for this new flushed beam would be at an exterior wall. From my "understanding" (as a homeowner who has done some interwebz reading) the beam will most likely need a 3.5" end bearing on each side to support it and carry the load down. Our designer has proposed this, but we are hoping we could put that end bearing in between the studs right within the exterior wall and avoid this terrible bump-out. From the same high level, is this something that would be possible? I know more information is needed to give a definitive answer, but trying to figure out if I am going to fight a loosing battle with them or if they are just trying to take the easiest route.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)