SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Have you ever had Rum Raisin ice cream?

caflowerluver
2 years ago

Talking with DH, of 44 years, the other day and just found out he has never had it. My dad loved it so we always had some in the freezer. I wasn't wild about it. I guess I didn't like the rum flavor when I was a kid. DH is from Chicago and I am from New England. I know now you can find it at almost any big grocery store in major brands like Haagen-Dazs. But 60 years ago, was it just an East Coast thing? MY dad also loved Spumoni ice cream. I passed on that too. I liked, as a kid, plain chocolate.

Comments (46)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have lived in the northeast, the South Pacific, the Coast (also known as the West Coast), and the Southeast.

I've had rum raisin ice cream. It's my favorite! Haagen-Dazs, especially. However, does seem like I've seen it at Baskin Robbins, though I have not been there in a very long time

caflowerluver thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • stacey_mb
    2 years ago

I have never eaten Rum Raisin ice cream, mainly because I don't like chewables such as raisins or chocolate chips in ice cream. I do love Spumoni ice cream, though, and a local restaurant had the "good" type that contained candied fruit. Yum! Edited to say - yes, this is contradictory - candied fruit is also chewable. But it's a particularly good addition to ice cream.

caflowerluver thanked stacey_mb
  • Related Discussions

HAVE: Inga Edul is Ice Cream Bean seedling

Q

Comments (6)
    Gardenblue13 you can buy inga edulis seeds from tradewindsfruit.com. I did and now have an attractive plant growing well. DO NOT LET THE SOIL DRY OUT. I had three, the soil dried out on two, so now I only have one. Lesson learned.
    ...See More

anyone have 'Ice Cream' pup to spare?

Q

Comments (3)
    See Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29 hermitonthehill, If you are looking for this specific cultivar, have you also considered buying that online as well? I recently had been looking to buy one from a brick and mortar store but didn't have much success so I just bought mine from GreenEarth. Considering that even with doing a plant swap, you would still have to pay some amount of shipping as well as your own handling time (unless it was local), these plants are only $12. Laurence Here is a link that might be useful: GreenEarth
    ...See More

Have ice cream maker, need basic info source

Q

Comments (24)
    Well, I learned something in the preview of Jeni's book on Amazon (and ordered the book to thank her): Like the Sicilian gelato, she uses starch to stabilize the frozen yoghurt. I have tapioca starch! I'm going to try that. The book also has the best frozen yoghurt instructions I've seen. They're for a more commercial grade of frozen yoghurt, but might be worth the trouble if I want to make a serious effort for a lot of company. Being able to make ahead and store in the freezer would be a boon. Unlike Jeni, I'm trying to reduce the richness of the dessert, rather than boost it, and her ice cream flavors sound a bit muddy for me, but the depth she goes into on techniques for storing and serving should be very useful.
    ...See More

Do you own an ice cream maker?

Q

Comments (21)
    We have this one. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-ice-cream-maker-extra-freezer-bowl/?pkey=celectrics-ice-cream-makers&isx=0.0 The second freezer bowl comes in very handy with a crowd. It's also great when you want a couple of flavors to serve, since the bowls have to freeze for quite a while to work. When we use it, we tend to go on a spree for a while and that second bowl keeps DH and the kids happy. We don't have any complaints about the texture. It is loud, though. Here's a great sorbet recipe, and the reason I even entertained getting this appliance. Frozen berries work great, when strawberries aren't in season. The whole lemon is key. I have a Meyer lemon tree and the fruit doesn't have a thick rind, so it's perfect for just a hint of bitter with the sweet and sour. https://food52.com/recipes/12934-the-river-cafe-s-strawberry-sorbet. David Leibovitz's peach ice cream, from The Perfect Scoop, is out-of-this-world good. http://www.freutcake.com/in-the-kitchen/homemade-peach-ice-cream/
    ...See More
  • Ded tired
    2 years ago

Yes, but I don’t like it. Most ice cream stores around here offer it. I’m a mint chocolate chip girl.

caflowerluver thanked Ded tired
  • amylou321
    2 years ago

No. I've had access to it, but anything with raisins in it is a big fat no for me.....So I've never tried it. If I'm going for ice cream,it's got to be something rich and delicious,usually chocolate. Not raisin. Yuck.

caflowerluver thanked amylou321
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

No because I'm not a fan of raisins.

I have too many favorites to name, but if you've not had dulce de leche, it's just a little bit of heaven on earth.

caflowerluver thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • maifleur03
    2 years ago

I have had it types both good and bad. Most that I have tried do not the rum flavor although the smell is strong.

I used to love spumoni when there were separate flavors each with different candied/glazed fruit and nuts mixed in. Only place that I knew made it stopped doing so because people did not like the texture of all things.

caflowerluver thanked maifleur03
  • plllog
    2 years ago

Were our fathers twins? Are we? My father loved all ice cream, but only he loved rum raisin and spumoni. He also loved pistachio, which I didn't like but might appreciate now.

It's not exclusively East Coast. None of my people are from there, and my parents spent their entire adult lives in Southern California, and were here 60 years ago. I know for a fact that my father was eating rum raisin here in the 1960's. I think my mother liked it too, come to think of it, but she wasn't picky about ice cream flavors.

I haven't tried it since childhood, but I think it was just too sweet for me. Cloying. Because the actual ice cream was sweet and the raisins were sweeter. That's why I don't like caramel ice cream either, though a little caramel swirl in one with some bitter chocolate and not a lot of sweet in the base is fine. B&J's Americone Dream, for instance. It's a little too sweet, but mostly pretty good.

caflowerluver thanked plllog
  • ritamay91710
    2 years ago

I have not. But I'll pass, thank you. Lol.

caflowerluver thanked ritamay91710
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I've always lived in the PNW and Rum Raisin ice cream has been around here for many years. I can't recall when I first had it but it was way before Haagen Daz made an appearance here - some shop that had hand dipped ice cream, but not Baskin Robbins for sure. I don't even know for sure what brands of ice cream the old fashioned hand dipped ice cream stores used to sell, but I imagine around here it was Dairygold or Foremost? It was before the boutique ice cream craze.

I LOVE rum flavor but am one who doesn't love chewables in ice cream either. So, I've eaten it, it sounds good and tastes better than I'd imagine, but it's not my first choice.

caflowerluver thanked Olychick
  • HamiltonGardener
    2 years ago

Funny. We just got back from the ice cream store and I had a scoop of rum and raisin.

My second favourite, after mint chocolate chip.

Edit: Best Rum & raisin I’ve had was in Ireland. They really soaked the raisins in rum, plumped them up and was nice biting into them

caflowerluver thanked HamiltonGardener
  • Rusty again
    2 years ago

Yes, I love rum raisin ice cream, if it's a good brand. Not all brands are created equal, you know. And it's not available all the time here, just occasionally, around Christmastime. Many years ago, before I came to Texas, I worked for a short period of time, in an Italian restaurant. Their food was delicious, and the most popular dessert there was their Spumoni ice cream. It was my first experience with that flavor, and I was sure I had died and gone to heaven! Talk about GOOD! Almost never see it around here, though. The one time I did see it, it wasn't very good at all. Not sure what brand it was, perhaps a store brand, which would probably explain it.

Now I want ice cream. . . . . . .

Rusty

caflowerluver thanked Rusty again
  • caflowerluver
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just remembered that I liked coffee ice cream as a kid. Still do, though my favorite is BR Jamoca Almond Fudge. And I like any ice cream with nuts like Butter Pecan or Black Walnut.

• User
    2 years ago

I used to work for Laura Secord Candy Shops and it was a very popular flavour. My mother used to buy it all the time when I was a kid. I haven't seen it in years. I did try it once or twice but it's a big NO from me.

caflowerluver thanked User
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I worked at a Baskin Robins 31 Flavors location when in high school (late 60s) and Rum Raisin was for sure one of the flavors. Jamoca Almond Fudge was the biggest seller of mixed flavors (ie not counting for vanilla, chocolate, strawberry). Mandarin Orange also had its fans. Funny enough, I like rum, raisins, coffee, fudge, almonds, oranges and chocolate, but each of these three flavors I absolutely detest.

A great job, ice cream store customers are always happy and almost never complain. I could eat anything I wanted during a shift (food kept in the back out of sight) or any other time just by stopping by the store.

caflowerluver thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Never had it. Never noticed it, either, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Off hand, it doesn't appeal.

caflowerluver thanked nickel_kg
  • lily316
    2 years ago

I have not had it in a long time but I like it.

caflowerluver thanked lily316
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

Love it. Also love Butter Pecan.

caflowerluver thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • jill302
    2 years ago

Yes, love both Rum Raisin and the Spumoni with the fruit in it. Not as easy to find these days. I have lived My entire life in California.

caflowerluver thanked jill302
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

I've never had rum raisin. I've never had any interest in trying it. I'm not a huge ice cream eater, although I do like it if one of the full fat versions like haagen dazs. We will often have a container of it here in the freezer, but something simple. Vanilla, chocolate, possibly strawberry.

I buy my mothers favorite coffee flavor every month. It has to be Haagen Dazs, has to be coffee, and has to be in the little single serving size. No, I don't know why but it doesn't matter, I just make sure there is plenty in her apartments freezer. ;0)

caflowerluver thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • bpath
    2 years ago

The year I turned 13, my parents were on vacation during my birthday. My grandmother’s housekeeper was looking after me and my brothers. She was very sweet, Norwegian, and she made a rum cake for my birthday party. Ugh. It was horrible. I mean, I was a kid, just becoming a teenagee, Worst birthday ever. I haven’t had anything with rum since.

caflowerluver thanked bpath
  • marilyn_c
    2 years ago

I've never had rum raisin....not a fan of raisins, but I like spumoni.

caflowerluver thanked marilyn_c
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Never had either rum raisin or spumoni - I guess neither was ever on my radar.

Willing to try both 🙂

caflowerluver thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

I don't particularly like the taste of alcohol so rum raisin is not a flavor I would care to try. I've never had spumoni either. I'm not even sure what spumoni is.

caflowerluver thanked Fun2BHere
  • wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

I love ice cream. Right now my freezer has Triple Vanilla, Pistachio Almond, Cherry Vanilla Cherry Almond Chip, and Meyer Lemon Sherbet.. Marianne's Ice Cream based in Santa Cruz, CA makes a white spumoni to die for. I am ok with the neon green, white and pink neopolitan version but the white spumoni is the best ever. Never had rum raisin. The idea of raisons in ice cream doesn't appeal to me. I guess I should at least try some.

caflowerluver thanked wildchild2x2
  • lindac92
    2 years ago

I grew up in town in the Ny/NJ metro area and there was an ice cream shop that made their won ice-cream....Grunings for anyone who might know. They had the best icecreams....and rum raisin was on my list....along with coffee, butter pecan, pistachio and in season, fresh peach that as swoon worthy!
    And while Grunings didn't make it I loved spumoni as well as bisque tortoni!...a special treat at a nice restaurant.

caflowerluver thanked lindac92
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Ice creams are definitely not all created equal. Rum and raisin is a very common flavour here. I’ve had vile rum and raisin tasting totally artificial and I’ve had delicious r and r made by local dairies, or in Italy. The big brands don't compare imo.

caflowerluver thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • User
    2 years ago

Just say no to dead grapes in ice cream. The only place dead grapes are okay in is bread pudding and even then I'd prefer pecans.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

No, I don't care for rum; I like peach and strawberry chunks in their flavors, but raisin is not a flavor I would crave. I also don't like nuts very much in ice cream even though I like the flavor- the freezing makes their texture odd. The exception seems to be if the nuts are coated in chocolate.

Yes, I recall Rum Raisin as a flavor available way back when. The only Spumoni I ever saw was the tri-color version (maybe from United Dairy Farmers?) I don't remember just what was in it.

Back in the 70s, the only Baskin-Robbins store near was in Oxford (where Miami University is located - I was a commuter student there) and I would be sure to get their Viennese Torte ice cream - coffee layered with vanilla and (IIRC) something like chocolate wafer cookie or cake. My absolute favorite and I was sad when they discontinued it.

caflowerluver thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    2 years ago

I do like rum raisin ice cream but sometimes there are raisins which have a gritty crunch to them, as if they weren't thoroughly cleaned. It'd be fine if they dropped the raisins and kept the rum.

caflowerluver thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • colleenoz
    2 years ago

I think the "gritty crunch" is probably raisin seeds.

Rum raisin is a common flavour here and it's one of DH's favourites. I've never really cared much for it- I'd eat it if that was the only flavour available but I wouldn't choose it. My favourite has always been mint chocolate chip, though we have a premium brand coffee icecream with ribbons of orange toffee and chocolate coated almonds flavour here available in take home containers which is my usual purchase as we both like it.

caflowerluver thanked colleenoz
  • jojoco
    2 years ago

I worked at a Haagen Dazs store for two summers in the mid-80’s. For a while mint chocolate chip was our best seller, then in 1985-ish cookies and cream was introduced. Everything else took a backseat to that flavor. We sold very little rum raisin ice cream. Much of it was bought by my father.

caflowerluver thanked jojoco
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

It’s strange to see a long discussion about this ice cream as an odd and exotic creature when it is such a familiar classic here. Personally, I love raisins in any form and while I don’t like drinking rum I do like anything rum flavoured. Spumoni, on the other hand is word I first read in this post.

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

No. I never will. I despise raisins.

caflowerluver thanked artemis_ma
  • User
    2 years ago

Growing up in the 60’s, my family used to go for Sunday drives to Cochrane, Alberta for ice cream. A family run business made ice cream there and Rum Raisin was one of the choices. My mom really liked it.

Our Italian Centre sells spumoni and I’ve always thought of it as gelato, I’m probably wrong but either way it’s pretty good.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    2 years ago

"I think the "gritty crunch" is probably raisin seeds."

Many a time I've eaten/chewed on both seeds and soil, there is a distinct difference in the "crunch".

caflowerluver thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • User
    2 years ago

I remember being in a bakery and looking at the raisin, cinnnamon rolls and just about ready to order one and noticing one of the raisins had wings,😳

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I like rum and I like raisins but not together in ice cream. Same with coffee and some other ingredients. I’m really not fond of a chocolate-based ice cream either, but if it has chocolate chunks in a vanilla base I’m good with it. Life is too short to taste artificial anything. Blech!

caflowerluver thanked OutsidePlaying
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Rum and raisin shouldn’t be artificially flavoured. Nor should any other ice cream. If that’s all one has tasted it could explain the dislike or imagined dislike of r and r.

• aok27502
    2 years ago

Rum raisin was never a flavor that attracted y interest. I've never tried it. And now I have to look up spumoni.

caflowerluver thanked aok27502
  • Adella Bedella
    2 years ago

I didn't realize so many people disliked raisins. I don't like them either. I thought I was alone in that.

I like rum in cookies and mixed drinks. That's about it.

caflowerluver thanked Adella Bedella
  • Islay Corbel
    2 years ago

I was thinking like Flora LOL It's everywhere in Europe. My husband loves it, although he never drinks spirits. My favourite is mint choc chip.....or there's a wonderful ice-cream shop nearby than makes a lemon meringue that is wonderful.....

Islay

caflowerluver thanked Islay Corbel
  • User
    2 years ago

I think most posts were from folks saying they either liked it or they didn’t, not that it was an unusual choice or that they had never heard of it. My take away from this thread is that rum and raisin ice cream has been around for years but it is not a favourite of many.

Our ice cream place is now featuring haskap berry and keso/queso.

eta not combined, but I suppose one could have a scoop of each 🍨

• nicole___
    2 years ago

I love mint chocolate too! My husband dislikes it.

No....never had rum raisin. I'm sure my husband never has either. My husband likes Moose Tracks, fudge tracks....or bunny tracks....see the theme here...? ♥

caflowerluver thanked nicole___
  • krystalmoon2009
    2 years ago

no, I don't care for Rum in anything

caflowerluver thanked krystalmoon2009
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

We had it in the Midwest when I was a kid, mid century. Not common but available in some place. My Mom liked it. I decidedly did not so didn't pay much attention to its availability. Available I think in chains specializing in multiple flavors . . .

caflowerluver thanked l pinkmountain