SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazsoladc

Is my couch is too big for a coffee table?

Mazsola
3 years ago

Thanks to some normal delays and then pandemic supply chain issues, the custom sectional I ordered for our family room in late 2019(!!) just arrived. In the interim, my grandma downsized and gave me her blue velvet sofa, which I’d like to use in the space, too.

I have a few dilemmas:

-I have one more armless chair section of the sofa (which had its own shipping delay, but should be here next week). I originally planned to put it under the front window, so the sectional would be an asymmetrical U. Obviously that doesn’t work now, because my grandma’s sofa is there. Should I make the long arm of the sectional one chair longer? Currently, the sofa ends about where the second bank of windows begins. The other chair would push it to the middle of the second set of windows. Should I use the chair somewhere else in the room? I can always put it somewhere else in the house.

-What kind/shape of coffee table should I use? the space is so big, I’m overwhelmed. I have a standard rectangular shaped one that is sentimental and looks nice, but it’s WAY too small. It fits well in front of the blue sofa. Do I need more than one? Each section of the sofa is about 44”.

-What should I do with the rest of the room? Currently, I have an upright piano and a bookcase across from the long part of the sectional, but I’m hunting for a good deal on a baby grand. The bigger piano would fit well behind the sofa, near the bar. I also have a harp, a 5 piece guitar stand (about the size of a 4’ wide bookcase), and several smaller instruments to accommodate. I currently have one big armchair that I’d like to keep in the room, and would get more, if it would help things feel cozy.

-Obviously need some art on the walls. I’m working on that....

Here are some before pics, which show the whole room:

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm