SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Sometimes weird carp works!

plllog
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Today, I was just trying to get the fridge cleared out and cook what needed cooking so it could be used later. Steaming the asparagus and broiling the eggplant were no brainers. I had a package of chicken breasts and a package of fajita cut beef that needed to be just cooked. The chicken breasts, also no brainer--dump into a sheet pan, add a little sauce and seasoning, and steam oven for 25 minutes. I just wasn't about to make fajitas or a stir fry and just needed to get the meat cooked. So tempting just to cook it with the chicken!

So I did.

Chose hoisin sauce because it would work on both, mushroom salt and garlic pepper, plus Herbes de Provence because they were at hand. While grabbing the hoisin sauce, I thought, why not?, and grabbed the plum vinegar as well. Two big boneless skinless breasts and a pound of little beef squiggies. I figured if I was steam roasting it was just about making them the same size and thickness, so slid out the beef in a block, brushed the hoisin and sprinkled the seasoning both sides, like the chicken, but before doing that to the second side of the beef, sprinkled the plum vinegar all over it.

Well. The chicken was as usual, and the beef is actually fantastic. Nicely med-well toward well (perfect for me), and despite the steam, some toasty edges. Really tasty. Still comes apart into strips. I only nibbled a few pieces, but this is going to work well for sandwiches/tacos/etc. A new trick born of desperation!

Comments (8)