SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Sometimes it all just comes together

calliope
16 years ago

In re Acorns poem. I've been dancing with Demons all year, and now I'm singing to Gods. A wonderful cloudburst just lay over our valley and let it rip. I was gathering eggs, and picking some produce out of our garden for tonight's supper and there was my husband at the front door with the brolly going to come "save me". Instead, I was out soaking it up and enjoying every drop of it. I had just so happened to hoe my garden over the last two days and the torrents soaked right into the fluffy soil, instead of running off. It was a most welcome rain.

I picked the first head of cabbage today and grated it up for a cole slaw. Tiny, tender onions and wonderful, fat orange carrots also from the garden. This is the first year in twenty two my carrots have been a roaring success. I planted Nantes, the first time I have ever dared and green carrot beds are a thing of beauty. Many years of chicken poo and straw composted from the hen house have turned my clay soil into a garden of Eden. I just tasted of the slaw before I slid it into the icebox (a tiny dollop of horseradish gives it a little zest) and pronounce it excellent and as organic as it gets. There is a washpan of green beans waiting to be snapped. Maybe for tonight, maybe not, depending on how energetic I get.

I got the pressing business paperwork done this morning, and just brewed me a large cup of Constant Comment tea, one I drink only in a coon's age and wonder why I don't make it more often. The house is quiet, DH is taking a nap, and it's moments like this one just takes in and enjoys. It does all come together every once in a while.

I lost a whole incubator full of fertile eggs to a faulty thermostat, and resigned myself I'd have to order in chicks this fall, but now three of my nice little hens have decided to go broody. That means, if I let them, I'll have about sixteen or eighteen new chicks in less than a month. That's all the new ones I want for this year. The hens are egging like crazy and I've twenty dozen extra to do "something" with. That translates into the big old wooden clothes rack set up on my dining room table on which to dry sheets of rich dough........and about forty or fifty pounds of noodles to freeze. Oh my, but that is a project. Nevertheless, come winter they are most welcome as a quick meal in beef or chicken broth. I'm also feeling pretty puffed about the tray of lemon bars I baked a couple days ago. I'm having one with my tea now. Marda has always talked of how good they are, and I'd never baked them before. You can bank on it there shall be a repeat performance.

Think on it a minute, and recount some of those pleasant things happening to you. How are you singing with the Gods?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions