SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Speaking of clothing....

Annie Deighnaugh
3 years ago

I'm going through that horrible process of trying to find a new bra.

I'm well endowed, but have a smaller band size so my size is not easy to find in the first place.

And I like bras that are beige/nude, nothing fancy but full coverage...I'm not selling anything!

And I need support. Lots and lots of support.

So as I'm shopping on line, I keep seeing a fabric content I'm not familiar with: polyamide. No idea, so I looked it up...same stuff they make kevlar out of. That's the ticket!! A kevlar bra!!

😆

Comments (71)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Spanish, that actually looks like the kind of infrastructure and superstructure I need. And I see it's 84% polyamide! That should hold those girls up!

As I said before, I've tried on wacoal several times, including most recently the t-shirt bra, with all the recommendations here, and I can't walk without the girls bouncing up and down in those things. Most uncomfortable.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Feathers, from one who is well endowed, believe me, you don't wish you were. It is such a pain in the neck having these things be so large. Especially when it comes to physical activities, they are in the way. You don't see golfers or basketball players with big boobs in the way. When it comes to eating, you don't need the napkin in your lap but on your chest as that's where the food lands. They prevent you from wearing certain styles as you look like all boob or like you're trying to sell something. And keeping them contained in something that keeps them perky can be a source of daily discomfort. I'm so jealous of my friends who are able to wear bralettes and look just fine...or even go braless in certain styles and not look saggy baggy down to one's waist. Heck, back in the day of electric typewriters, if I leaned over the machine to erase a typo, the girls would hit the space bar and the machine would jump forward...almost strangled me one time when my necklace was in the machine and caught on the element.

• Related Discussions

OT--Autism Speaks--Light it Up Blue campaign

Q

Comments (1)
    The photos on the website are worth seeing famous places around the world lit with blue lights. Here is a link that might be useful: Light it up photos
    ...See More

OT--Autism Speaks--Light it Up Blue campaign

Q

Comments (12)
    I didn't know! Thank you! One of the most instrumental people in my neurotypical 17 DD's life has been DJ, who is (currently) nonverbal and has autism. She was blessed to be in the same class with him for 3 years before he moved. His goal is to become verbal and be a voice for others who cannot speak -- he's been on CNN and interviewed by Sanjay Gupta. He is one of the most incredible people that I have ever met, and I am SURE that he will be an incredible mover and shaker ALL of his life. He is now choosing between several private colleges! Below is a link to the book that his father wrote (DJ actually wrote the last chapter). I'll have a blue day tomorrow! Here is a link that might be useful: Reasonable People
    ...See More

Speaking of bags....

Q

Comments (13)
    Sue, LOL, you said it! I always thought when clothes smelled they needed to be washed but good grief, between the overpowering soaps/body washes, shampoos, hairsprays, detergents, then pile on a dryer sheet and marinate in cheap jug perfume... Whew! Ah, I figured it out... it's personal defense! Nobody would assault, rape, rob or even go near these people! Trishaw that really struck a chord with me. I really have gotten to the point I want to bag my own groceries. I try to tell them, refrigerated & frozen together and NO CHEMICALS with edibles. The last time they packed bathroom cleaner with the fresh produce. I was to annoyed about the crushed bread to worry about it too much though. And I still like the George Carlin routine about my wash smells like all outdoors.... (and his response) you haven't lived in MY neighborhood lady!!! Oh and thank you Granlan and Dotmom! (and others I sometimes forget) :) It's folks like you that make this forum great.
    ...See More

Speaking of the Cold

Q

Comments (10)
    I have so many great childhood memories. We had a small lake on the outskirts of town and we always went skating. I still remember my ankles hurting.. There was a lodge we would go in and have hot chocolate. Yum, yum !!! We had so many kids on our street and we were always out playing in the snow. We made a snowman in all our yards up and down the street. There were 40 plus kids all about the same age. What fun we had. No matter what the weather we were always outside.. Kids nowadays don't know what they are missing.
    ...See More
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

@gsciencechick i like the wacoal tee bra too. There is a Bali bra or 2 I like also. I have not Seen many playex I like the look of nor do they fit me right. After a thread here recently, I ordered a couple bras from Soma, but that’s another that did not fit me.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

That's interesting, Annie. Clearly everyone is different. I've found the Wacoal the most "stability" of any bras I've had. I used to buy a Wonderbra every day bra--remember Wonderbra, but those are no longer made.

• hhireno
    3 years ago

Belk stores have a better size selection in bras than any dept store near my regular home, so I ordered online from them, and then returned the duds to a store when I visited my vacation home. I was able to try a mix of styles and sister sizes on in the comfort of my home (🙂 instead of 😡) and not pay return shipping (👍🏼). It felt like a win 🏆.

I’ve also shopped that way with Nordstrom, but the closest store is an hour away. Belk + visit to my vacation home = success - drive.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Wacoal bras never fit me correctly. I do buy their underwire sport bras but have them in a variety of sizes with similar level of fit.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

You sound like me, full-breasted but narrow under the breast. My two top favorites, of the tons of bras that didn't work, are Rosa Faia with no wire and then second is Wacoal. I found both of them fitted as I go to a Bra store to try them on first since styles change and so do our bodies. Beige, white and black are what I wear.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Hhierno, added to the fact that it sometimes takes longer to know if a bra is comfortable.

While in the store, you definitely know what is uncomfortable right away, but I think it takes at least an hour to see if something will work in the long run.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OK, I went to Macy's and must've tried on 20 bras...I ended up buying one Bali that was a balconette. Then I went to Soma and must've tried at least 10 more...ended up coming out with 2 more. So I'll give them a go. What's nice about Soma is you can wear the bras, wash them and have 60 days and if you're not happy, can still return them. And shopping is much easier as the gal keeps checking on you and bringing you more bras based on how she sees them fitting.

But sizing? One is a 36DD, one is a 34 DDD and one is a 34G. So who knows what size I am.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

...and now I think I have callouses on my rib cage from all the trying on!!

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Good for you! Hopefully they will work, you can buy a few more and be done for quite a few years.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • Feathers11
    3 years ago

Feathers, from one who is well endowed, believe me, you don't wish you were.

Yes, I've learned to appreciate how much more comfortable it is to have a smaller chest. I suspect the worst is in the heat of summer. One of my sisters is much larger than I am, and that's her primary complaint. (She also lives in Florida.)

I'm glad you found a few comfortable options. I hope they work out!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Feathers11
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

Like Feathers and Tishtosh, my issue is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Right now I have one Calvin Klein style I found at Macy's and bought multiples when on sale and some Jockey bralettes I bought when I was about to have nothing wearable. I tried Third Love and liked the quality, but they decrease strap length with band size, so on a tall person like me, there was no way to have the band in the proper place. LIke empire dresses.

I have seen classes for making bras and undergarments. Not sure I can imagine doing that (imagine shopping for all the right materials), but apparently it is an option.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

lascatx, I wonder if you can just have a tailor add more to the straps to make it work for you...won't be the same material, and it will mean an extra seam in the strap, but it could work. Maybe even use a strap from an old bra to source the material from...

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I used to have the extenders that add to the band. Don’t they still make those?

It’s really best though to fund one that actually fits.

ETA here they are!

• tuesday_2008
    3 years ago

Annie, have you tried the Vanity Fair minimizer bra? I have worn this bra for years even though I am not large....just saggy/flabby. It is the only minimizer I have found that shapes, but not flattens, has good support, and does not feel too restrictive is pretty! I am usually a 36 or 38 C, but oddly enough I take a D cup in this bra.

I have a plus size friend who is top heavy, thick chested, swimmers back, and much larger girls than me and needs good support, and she wears 42C In this bra. I am always amazed that she doesn’t require a larger cup size. It seems the larger size expands the cup, thus allowing her to go down in cup size.

i have tried all the other department store brands in minimizer (Bali, Vassarette, Wacoal, etc) and none fit as good as this one. Plus it comes in lots of sizes.

I usually find a good selection at Kohl’s, sometimes have to order on line to get my size and color.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

I picked up bra extenders at JoAnn fabric because I just don't feel like shopping for new bras and I've put on weight since my last shopping expedition.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

tuesday, I can keep an eye out. I tried on so many bras yesterday that I don't even know which ones I did and didn't try. But I'm wearing my new Bali today and it is very comfortable and flattering, so I'm happy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bali DF4823

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

Add me to the list of those needing bras. Mine are in horrible shape.. Will have to face the dreaded bra shopping trip. Annie, glad you are happy with your purchase. Usually picking up every bra in the store in my size and trying them until my skin is red and sore is how I shop for bras. May try Soma. Worst bra I ever had was fitted by a bra expert at Nordstrom.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ded, what I did learn from my experience is to pick up bras in the size I think I am and the size I think I might be as I ended up with 3 bras in 3 different sizes. If you think you like a style get a few different sizes so you can compare.

The other thing is, make sure you know if the dressing rooms are open...not all of the stores have them open. I went to target in the mall to try on bras, selected 7 to try on only to find the dressing room was closed. So I bought them, went to Macy's that did have a dressing room open, tried them on and then returned them all back to target as they were all awful. And that whole process was pretty awful too.

• tuesday_2008
    3 years ago

When I discovered my Vanity Fair bra shown above, I tried on bras for two hours one day. I took everything that looked like potentials in size 36 and 38 C and.D cups until I found the right fit. The Bali minimizer fit me OK, but the cup itself left me a bit bouncy. My bras will usually last me about 3 years until an underwire snaps.

One thing I have learned......I never put my bras in the dryer, but about every 6 months, if one appears to be fitting looser or slightly losing its control, I will throw it in the dryer for about TWO-THREE minutes. That seems to bring back the elasticity/spandex feel. I don’t walk away from the dryer to safeguard my drying time :).

Kohls is always my go to store for bras and sheets. I always buy when they are on sale, plus usually have up to an additional 30% coupon. And sometimes have Kohl’s Cash!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bad news...the 2 bras from Soma are not good. Both have a wide "U" in the wire whereas my rib cabe is narrow. Both wires kept jabbing me in the under arm and were very uncomfortable.

I will give that VF bra a try next as I find I like the minimizer look better. The bali bra is good and very comfortable but it makes me look more rather than less endowed.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I hit like to notify you. I certainly do not like that they did not work.

Did you take the tags off? I did my trials with the tags on and knew within a half hour they were not good. I returned them. I omit deodorants when doing my trial run.

This is one is what I found. Not 100 percent but close enough.

I can’t afford to throw about $65 and up for bras.

I’m going to try Mtn’s suggestion as they are so reasonably priced.

If you are interested in this one, message me as I want to share some personal info about it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, eld, but I've given up on wacoal. They look nice, but they make me bounce...I've tried on many and they all do it. So I'm done with them.

Yes I did remove the tags, but soma lets you wear, wash and keep trying the bras for up to 60 days and if you're not satisfied, you can return them. Don't ask me what they do with the used bras. But I've only had these two on a for a few minutes, so back they go.

Since some of the bras I tried were a 36, I think I'd like to look at playtex again, and I do like the looks of those VF minimizers.

So we're in process, but we're not done yet.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

tuesday, would you have a model number for that bra you posted? I'm looking at VF minimizers, but they look different from that one.

• tuesday_2008
    3 years ago

I’ve tried twice to send a link, but not showing up. It is style #76080 Beauty Back Minimizer. Currently $27.99 (great price) on the Kohl’s site.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-939881/vanity-fair-bra-beauty-back-back-minimizer-bra-76080-womens.jsp?skuId=Vanity%20fair%2076080&search=939881&submit-search=web-regular

Annie Deighnaugh thanked tuesday_2008
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks tuesday...I'll have to head to Kohl's!

• hhireno
    3 years ago

Out of curiosity, yesterday I clicked on the Kohl’s link above. And today I have an email for 40% off at Kohl’s. That bra won’t work for me, but I’ll go back to the site to see what else they offer.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I don't care for Kohl's but I will say they have a great lingerie department. I order online from them.

ETS as my wording was a little strong LOL

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Tina, why do you hate Kohl’s?

• tuesday_2008
    3 years ago

Tina , you are right that their women’s clothing line is not very high fashion, with quite a bit of frumpy looking things. It is more old school department store in some categories. Their house brands are very budget priced which so many people need. I find that they have better pricing than Walmart :).

They have a nice home goods section and I love their house brand called The Big One for bedding. Their sheets are awesome and I buy when on sale, and usually wait for an additional 30% discount. My daughter is amazed at the deals I have gotten there!

Just last week, I was able to “freshen up” one of my guest rooms with a nice summer weight reversible quilt and matching shams, a pretty throw pillow, and a small bed side rug for about $75! Yeah!!!

They have a good selection of athletic wear and sneakers for men and women (Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, Reebok, etc) and is my go-to store when shopping for the guys in my family. Also a nice line of kids clothes .

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

@tuesday_2008 that makes sense about being budget minded and yes, it is needed. I absolutely do not shop Walmart. I have never checked out the home good section at Kohls, I will have to take a look. I previously asked on here about deep pocket sheets and found some at Bed, Bath and Beyond and then some I like even better on Amazon!

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I look at Kohl’s as a lower end store, but yo be honest, the prices aren’t as low as I think they should be.
    I have gotten a few things there, but got the most part, I shop other stores.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tuesday, thank you for mentioning VF! I went to Kohl's and all the dressing rooms are closed so I had to buy a bunch, bring them home and try them on. Of what I bought, 2 are winners! One wireless and one wired. Well actually one is a winner, the other I'm going to have to exchange for the right color if another Kohl's has it. But they are comfortable, no poke, give me good support, and a decent shape.

I wasn't able to find the minimizer you posted in the store yet, but I can order it and give it a try too. Best part is they are on sale and they weren't overly spendy!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 years ago

lascatx, One of the bras I tried on is a "convertible" where the straps can be converted to criss-cross in the back. Because of that, the straps are extra long and may work for you...might be something to look for.

• tuesday_2008
    2 years ago

Annie...glad my info helped! You will love the minimizer......I think.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Annie, which style would you recommend in the VF?

• lascatx
    2 years ago

Thanks, Annie. For now, I've bought extra in the CK style I like. I don't generally have a problem with straps being too short -- mainly the Third Love and maybe one other.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 years ago

eld, I thought I was happy with the wireless, but by the end of the day, I find I'm not getting the support I need, so I'm going to go with the wired. I'll save the wireless for days at home when it doesn't matter so much. I'm looking at VF 75345...seamless, lightly lined cups, full coverage.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Did you try the VF that Mtn recommended. I am okay with my new Wacoal, but would like other less expensive choice. And yes, there is more “ movement” with this one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I tried so many, not sure, but I can check for mtnrd's version too...

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I know. It starts to feel like a full time job!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hah! I just checked and the one I liked but returned for color was mtnrd's number!!

I'm going to order some and hope they work.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Getting closer! I will probably follow you. It would be nice to have some lower priced options.

Meanwhile I am doing fine with my new selection, but at $62 a pop, yikes.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

I still suggest you bite the bullet and get my bullet-proof bra from Bare Necessities

• hhireno
    2 years ago

Ok, I’ll bite. I hope Annie and I don’t wear the same size because I just ordered the BN bra and they claimed there was only one left in that size. I might also order the VF one above because I have a 30% off coupon for Kohl’s. Watch, now I’ll gain or lose weight and none of my 100 new bras will fit. 😆

• jojoco
    2 years ago

I also hate bra shopping. I absolutely need underwire and have a hard time finding bras that give me complete coverage and a supportive lift. I finally found a bra that works perfectly for me. It is a minimizer bra and I feel supported and confident in it. That never happens! So I bought all the ones in my size at a local department store (Boscov’s). The bras are about $40 each but always on some sort of sale. Here’s the bra:

not the prettiest thing, but VERY effective and comfortable.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I went to another kohl's and praise be they had a dressing room open!! They also had a huge selection of bras, so if the VF's I've ordered don't work, I think I'll head there again...

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH