SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20093016

Speaking of the Cold

User
9 years ago

The posts about the cold made me think of this:

When I was a youngster in the 1920's and 1930's weather like this in Minnesota was time for "putting up ice."

By mid-January the lakes were sufficiently frozen that rural folks could "harvest" ice from the lakes and put it in an Ice House for use the next summer. the Ice House was a building roughly the size of a double car garage with a pointed roof. For whatever reason ours was not painted.

Farmers would put sideboards and sleigh runners on their wagons. On the chosen day several neighbors, dressed in their warmest clothes, would then travel with their horse drawn sleighs to the chosen lake and drive on to the ice.

Using an ice auger one man would bore a hole in the ice to see if it was a satisfactory depth - around 10 to 15 inches. Actually the ice had probably been tested the day before to make sure it was ready.

Then, with saws the men would cut the ice into somewhat square chunks and load them into the wagons. When all of the wagons were loaded the entourage would make its way to the farm.

There, they probably stopped for a good hot meal, cooked by the lady of the house, before starting to unload. The unloading process involved first laying a bed of sawdust on the ground, then packing the chunks of ice in rows with sawdust in between them. This continued until the ice house was full. It usually meant another trip to the lake to load up the wagons.

As with threshing and many other jobs the farmers helped each other, so it wasn't just a one-day task. Cooperation was necessary and expected.

When summer came we began using the ice to fill the compartment in the top of the icebox. Unfortunately, the ice supply often ran out some time in August when it was most needed. Then we used the cool cellar or the cistern, or water from the deep well to keep things reasonably cool. My mother would not use the ice in drinks, but put the pitcher in the icebox. Some folks I knew did put that lake ice in their lemonade. As far as I know it never made them sick.

Enjoy your automatic icemakers, folks! It was not always thus!!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations