SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

OT--Autism Speaks--Light it Up Blue campaign

cat_mom
13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

One of our nephews (the son of one of DH's brothers) is autistic. Today and tomorrow, Autism Speaks is trying to raise autism awareness with its Light it Up Blue campaign. You can visit the website to find out how you can show your support.

World Autism Awareness Day is coming up on Saturday, April 2, and itâÂÂs going to light up the world in blue! Light It Up Blue is an easy way to raise awareness about autism and be part of a worldwide movement to show your support for the autism community.

Sign the pledge to raise autism awareness:

http://action.autismspeaks.org/share-blue

Participating in Light It Up Blue is simple -- just sign the pledge to do things like wear blue clothing, feature the Light It Up Blue logo on your Facebook profile, or write a blog posts about the event.

http://action.autismspeaks.org/share-blue

Thanks for helping me light it up blue this year!

Comments (12)

• nhbaskets
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting this. My adult son was diagnosed last year with Asperger's. Helping spread awareness is key.

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Thank you so much cat mom for posting this as I just last night dealt with an autistic meltdown. It was the kind that when they're done you are so physically and mentally exhausted yourself you have no umph left in you. Went to bed fully clothed with makeup on and contacts in. If it weren't for the fact that I needed a shower in the worst way, I could of just rolled on out the door this morning as is! Everyone please show your support.

Shannon

• brenjun
    13 years ago

I am an occupational therapist who works in a grade school and my caseload has many children with autism. Many of these children have sensory issues that make their life very difficult. Almost everyone now knows someone that has a child with autism.

• Mimou-GW
    13 years ago

As the mom of a ten year old with autism I thank you for spreading awareness.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

We got 3 blue light bulbs and a lantern from Home Depot, and we let dd's class use the lantern for the week.

I also made these today and handed them out at my older dd's bus stop and anyone I passed (one neighbor thought they were iced with toothpaste and an April fool's joke LOL)

And of course, I lit my kitchen up blue!

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

noellabelle--those are awesome!!!! One of my schools had a "jeans day" today with donations going to Autism Speaks. I told DH he has to go out and get us some blue light bulbs!

All my love to all you parents of autistic (spectrum) children. We celebrate you and all you do, too, today!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

You bet. I'll visit the site.
    Thanks,
    boxerpups

• rjr220
    13 years ago

I didn't know! Thank you! One of the most instrumental people in my neurotypical 17 DD's life has been DJ, who is (currently) nonverbal and has autism. She was blessed to be in the same class with him for 3 years before he moved. His goal is to become verbal and be a voice for others who cannot speak -- he's been on CNN and interviewed by Sanjay Gupta. He is one of the most incredible people that I have ever met, and I am SURE that he will be an incredible mover and shaker ALL of his life. He is now choosing between several private colleges! Below is a link to the book that his father wrote (DJ actually wrote the last chapter).
    I'll have a blue day tomorrow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Reasonable People

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

My entire school participated in this. All the staff, all the kids, everyone wore blue. My school has a large autistic population. It was truly a sea of blue. I worked with ESE children for more then half of my career and though I switched to Gen Ed; always have the autistic kids who are mainstreamed in my class. As it ends up, we have an 8 year old moderately autistic grandson. He's the sweetest little boy there is!

• User
    13 years ago

I have no experience with this but will visit the site. I am glad to support such a worthy cause. c

• zazutoo
    13 years ago

Great to hear of all the support for autism awareness. My 10 year old is on the spectrum and the more awareness out there the better her life will be. Thank you to all those who care!
    Suzanne

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Dh's cousin has a little boy with autism. He has come a long way with great therapy, but has a ways to go. The more research the better!