SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_524958254

False dormers - need advice

CeeWhy
3 years ago

The background: we are building a custom home. In the planning stages, I found a house plan I liked, but wanted to change the layout of the interior without changing the look of the exterior. The house I liked had a couple of shed dormers on the roof, and I assumed (and you know what they say about assuming...) that when our plans were drawn up with the layout changes, those dormers would remain "real". When our house was being roofed, however, the contractor informed me that the dormers on our plans were drawn as false dormers. Not being able to read house plans like a professional can, I have no idea if it wasn't drawn on the plans correctly, or if it was missed by the contractor? Either way, the roof trusses that had been built, paid for, delivered, and installed, would not accommodate real dormers without major modification (and major $$$). I am extremely disappointed. To avoid a hugely expensive change order and further delay in our already over-budget and very behind-schedule build, I decided to accept the fact that the dormers are false for the time being.
Now, for the question. My windows are black exterior/white interior, with grids. I have read that the unfinished area inside the dormers can be seen through the windows, and in order to avoid this, the area should be painted black. If I do that, I think that it will just look like a big black hole in the dormer because of the black window frames. The window grids won't be visible, either. Could the unfinished area be painted a lighter color instead? Would white or gray work? I cannot change the exterior window color and do not plan (at this point, maybe in the future) to make the dormers real.

Comments (11)