SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_tencer

heat-pump vs top end a/c

Andrew Tencer
3 years ago

I intend very soon to install either a heat-pump or a top end air conditioner (not in window). My understanding so far is the best brands to consider are either Mitsubishi or Lennox. I've heard Fujitsu mentioned a lot (but only after Mitsubishi), and I've heard Carrier mentioned a lot but only by people who considered Carrier but chose Lennox. Perhaps Mitsubishi is ideal for a heat-pump (HVAC) & Lennox is ideal for central a/c in a house? The only reason I've so far heard to prefer a heat-pump over a top a/c is to save money on the cost of home heating, and I've heard that it may cost as little as 30% to heat with a heat-pump than with electric base-boards. However, I intend to install hybrid power for my entire condo within a year with a solar panel on the roof. Is a solar panel prohibitively expensive and is there a reason other than reduced Hydro bills to pick a heat-pump over a top-end a/c? On the Mitsubishi electric website only 3 contractors are indicated as authorized local dealers/installers: I've no doubt they know their products well, but they don't sell or install anything else. Does anyone know whether I'd be happy with Industries Guaranties at 5420 Pare in TMR? Any other suitable companies anyone can recommend? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Comments (6)