SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

price dif of single stage a/c vs heat pump

cindywhitall
11 years ago

I'm trying to make a decision and think I've chosen a contractor. I am stuck between a single stage a/c and a heat pump. Same SEER, same brand, same contractor. His price is about 1500 more for the heat pump (dual fuel/gas backup). I had the impression his cost is about $700 more on the unit. (Amana). Is install that much more difficult to justify that price, or is he probably adding more markup?

I want to ask him to knock off about 5% of his total hvac price, which if you've been following my thousands of posts, is a really high price for what I'm getting.

I'm sure he will still be making PLENTY. If I had the info on the price difference and difference in install it might help me bargain. I had the impression it is just a few wires that might be different, but the install would be the same for the most part. Maybe going from single stage to heat pump is $1500...I hope the heat pump is worth it in savings and comfort.

I'm one of those people who hates paying sticker price. I hate thinking somebody else with more info got a better deal. It is just my nature to try to haggle a little...Take it or leave it doesn't suit me well...

Thanks!

Comments (10)