SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drcindy1

confused- heat pump vs. standard A/C

drcindy
14 years ago

Hi all,

I need more help since I've been in the process of collecting bids. I was initially pretty well sold on getting a new 80% variable speed furnace with a high efficiency heat pump (it seems like everyone is pushing for the heat pump option) but today a Trane dealer also presented the option of a 95% variable speed furnace with an A/C unit. I'd like to know what's best given my home, climate, and electricity/gas rates.

I live in the Seattle Tacoma area where I will be using heat a whole lot more than cooling. The summers appear to be getting warmer each year, but avg. temps in the summer are in the 70's, with a few days in the 80's and 90's. This year so far, we've been getting a few more hotter days (high 80's up to 103!). Winter lows on average are maybe low 40's during the day and down to the high 20's/low 30's at night. We had a very cold winter last year down to 18 degrees.

My home is 11 y/o, 2100 sq. feet. Right now I only have a gas furnace, builder's grade. Only one load calc has been done with the following results, based on avg. outdoor summer temps of 80 and outdoor winter temps of 26: BTU heating of 26,921, and BTU cooling of 16,823. My prices for electricity based on my most recent utility statement are $.084772 Per KWH (for the first 600 KWH) and then $.102581 Per KWH for over 600 KWH. Price of gas are $.87388 Per Therm, but the bill also indicated a cost of gas delivery of $.34039 Per Therm.

The Trane dealer today gave me estimates for 2 different systems:

Heat pump and furnace would include:

XV-80 HP TDD0G0R9V3F furnace

XL16i Heat pump 4TWX603661000A (he's going to check if the XL15i would be just as efficient although it's a single stage)

TCONT900 thermostat

All accompanying coils (he didn't provide model #'s)

This system is $9855 with a $500 Trane rebate but before taxes and federal tax credit.

The furnace and A/C unit includes:

XV95 furnace TDH2B060A9V3VA

XR15 A/C 4TTR403061000A

TCON802 Thermostate

All accompanying coils (again, no model #'s)

This system is $7925 with the $5000 Trane rebate but before taxes and federal tax credit.

Obviously there's a big savings with the A/C option. The salesman told me he has a heat pump in his all-electric home, but if he had gas he would go for the A/C set up.

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks again so much for the advice!

Comments (10)