SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Interesting pizza instead of cake

plllog
3 years ago

I've had a bunch of stuff come up and mess with all my cooking plans, including the clementine cake for which I finally found the pan. Yesterday, when the last crumb of bread got used, I faced the fact that I'd have to bake, didn't have time, so made pizza dough with the idea that I'd deal with it the next day. Then the next day got all messed up. And after an inadequate breakfast at a convo, and no minions in sight at home, I faced no leftovers, no bread (there are tortillas but I really wanted to save them for enchiladas), and a two quart covered bowl with massively risen dough, I decided I could make a late pizza lunch just for me. :D (cheese-eating grin)

Of course, when I was making the dough, I got inspired (this is where the minions go all uh-oh faced). I had about a cup of leftover charoset which was mostly wine and juice from the apple. I thought that would be good in pizza dough! Of course, I forgot how much cinnamon would be in the dregs. :) There were some chopped pecans, and pecan grit, but it was mostly liquid. I added water until it was a full cup, and another half cup of water to bloom the yeast in, as per recipe.

So, by today, it was all cinnamon brown and redolent of concord grape wine. The dough recipe calls for sugar, but I don't usually do it, and the charoset was sweet enough as is. It smelled more like I should roll it out for sweet rolls or something, but I really wanted my "sandwich". The portion of dough for one still needed to relax and rise after stretching, so I had time to slice and lightly brown a spring onion which was spread on a smear of tomato sauce, covered with thin slices of a teeny tiny "slicing tomato", a couple of slices of American prosciutto and topped with a slice of havarti. Usually, I have more sour, bitter and pungent items on pizza. These were more salty and I thought they'd go well with the slight sweetness of the dough.

Did they ever!! This is SO good! I was aiming for merely filling....

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm