SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_164080070

Sewer smell coming from the shower stall

SjcHandy SJC
3 years ago

Here's some quick background information:
The ADU was built on slab foundation some 40 years ago and tenants were living there for a long time. I purchased the house 1.5 years ago.
During Covid, the one bedroom unit was unused for roughly 6 months as the tenant was working from a remote location. A new tenant moved in to the unit in November and a new hot water tank was installed end of January. The unit only has one vent going thru the roof (from the bathroom) and I am certain the ADU sewage line is connected to the main house in the front.

Problem:
By mid February, the tenant told me that he was noticing a sewage smell from the shower stall about 10 minutes after having a shower. He also sometimes smell it when he uses the bathroom sink.

What he did so far:
Pour bleach, baking soda, vinegar, etc. The smell went away for a few a week and came back after that.

Plumber/Rooter opinion/suggestion/recommendation so far
Bunch of plumbers / rooters stopped by and gave me different stories
- I don't know what it is. You need to call a rooter.
- You need a new vent but I don't do this job
- Unfortunately I don't know what is causing the problem
- It is a code violation and the problem could be with the P trap and it is not going low so you need to look at or build a septic tank
- You need to gas the place to see where the problem is
- I think the pipe is broke somewhere bu I can't use my endoscopic camera as it won't show anything

Before going on this goose chase, I would like to get your expert opinion. Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
Best.

Comments (5)