SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

sewer smell in new shower

michoumonster
16 years ago

We recently finished an extensive remodel of our one story house, which included all new plumbing installed and 2 new bathrooms. We have been living in the new house for about 8 months now. We are on a slab foundation and city sewer. One day, all of a sudden, I noticed a urine smell in one of our bathrooms and burping sounds from the toilet if the other toilet was flushed, and the kitchen sink would drain slowly. Then a few days later, when we flushed the toilet and showered, all of the water flowed back up the drains. We called a plumber who snaked all of our lines. That seemed to solve the problem with drainage and the loud gurgling when we flush the toilets is now gone. I disinfected all the bathrooms after the backup. However, now I notice a very strong sewer smell coming from our master bath shower drain. The master bath shower never smelled before the sewer backup. The odor is so strong it even gets absorbed in our towels. I tried pouring bleach down the drain but the smell has not left and is particularly strong in the afternoon, when it is hottest outside. Can you tell me what might be the cause and how to fix it? thanks so much for your advice!

Comments (4)