SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buddywiser

Sewer Smell from Below Kitchen Sink When Showreing

buddywiser
17 years ago

Hi, newbie here! I'm a total amateur when it comes to plumbing, so I thought somebody here could help me out. When we use the upstairs shower, a horrible sewer smell comes out from under the kitchen sink. The shower is located in the room directly over the kitchen. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as the shower is concerned. We do have a problem where some of the traps throughout the house dry up and we have to run some water in them. It's a pretty big house and some of the sink don't get used for weeks, so I'm not too worried about that. You can see a couple pics from the link.

As you can see, there are holes cut out in the back of the sink for the pipes. I thought the smell may be coming in from the hole from another part of the house, but I sealed the holes with plastic , took a shower, and the smell was just as bad.

More info: There is a dishwasher and a disposal installed. Both of these are brand new, so I think I can rule them out. The smell does NOT come up from the kitchen sink drain. Not sure if you can tell or not, but the water drains through the floor and not through the back. So I'm hoping that I've narrowed it down to that piece on the left (2nd pic) that is capped off. I'm not sure what the function of that is. It has a NOVAVENT cap on it. Is it possible that the leak is in this piece. Does the NOVAVENT cap let air in. Could it possibly be letting air out?

Also, I found some vents terminated in the attic. Not sure where the main vent out is.

Anybody have any more suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Sink

Comments (2)