SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Books or TV to mellow you out . . .

l pinkmountain
3 years ago

I know we've had "What are you watching/reading" for general good shows, but I'm sort of seeking something different. I love to read, but it stimulates my mind, not calms it. Or else puts me to sleep. I'm seeking something sort of in between. I have "put you to sleep" literature and daily devotionals, which also don't mellow me out. Trying to think of something I have read that would mellow me . . . I remember years ago when I had another stressful job, trying to find some genre escapist literature that I liked . . . I tried to find any type of romance that wasn't insipid, no luck for me, just not my thing. I tried the best of them--Outlander before it was hip, "The Shell Seekers," etc.

British folks have a genre they call "cosy mysteries I think I prefer them better on TV. Midsomer Murders gives you years and years worth, but for whatever reason I found them tiring after a while, and I'm not sure why . . .some were very good, I did watch quite a few. I love British TV. Can't do everyone's current favorite Monty Don's garden show because that's WORK for me . . . as much as I love him . . . there is a British TV show cosy murder mystery series "Rosemary and Thyme" which has the appeal of visiting lovely gardens . . . but again, that one wore on me fast. Can't do "Murder She Wrote" for the same reason, the story lines are too rushed for my taste, the show waxes too artificial. And the big hair and shoulder pads scare me. No lack of good talent or creative ideas on the show but the mysteries aren't that compelling, most very contrived/clunky. So it doesn't end up being relaxing, watching the narrative and dialog gears grind . .

I can't afford a lot of the special subscription TV streaming apps. We have only Netflix and Amazon Prime TV. And cable, which the commercials drive me crazy on . . . not relaxing, stressful due to how annoying they are. Maybe if it is job related stress, I'll have to take some of my income and invest it in stress relief material . . . kind of defeats the point . . . my job is only stressful because it is supposed to be part time but in reality they need and want someone full time. It's a battle for me to not overextend.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County