SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Intentional design with microwave on counter--small, U-shaped kitchen?

julieste
3 years ago

Is planning to put a microwave on the counter a big no-no? In all of the fancy kitchen photos, the kitchens are all so pristine with nothing at all sitting out on the counters. I don't think this is the way real people live. Maybe I am wrong....

I've been thinking about & planning this kitchen for too long and really need to finally make some firm plans. This is a small U-shaped, 9' by 13' kitchen. With one exception, the only upper cabinets I will have will run across the bottom leg (stove end) of the U on the 9' wall. (The other legs of the U will have pass through type window openings approximately 5' wide by 3.25' high because this is a semi-open concept space).

Since it is a U, I will have two deep corners on my counters just like I do now. To me, those corners just seem like dead space, and I am thinking that my best plan may be to just put a small, inexpensive microwave in one of those corners right on the counter under the upper cabinets.

Other options I have considered and definitely eliminated:

• OTR microwave
  • Microwave drawer

Other options I am still tossing around:

• Making one set of upper cabinets shorter, and putting a shelf there for the microwave
  • Putting a shelf under a counter for a microwave
  • A microwave that hangs underneath the uppers (GE or Sharp). But, this seems to me that if I am going to have the microwave hanging down like this, I might just as well drop it down further and put it on the counter. And, in many ways this seems to me a kind of last resort for people who are trying to minimally alter an existing kitchen.

Other details that may help: We're retired and looking for something that will work well for aging. We primarily use a microwave for reheating and don't really cook in it. This will be a nice but not over the top remodel--soapstone or marble counters, Bosch fridge, Cafe range, ASKO dishwasher, Zephyr minimalist Anzio hood.

In many ways just putting the microwave back in a corner on the counter seems to make the most sense, but if I do this will it just seem like an after thought that doesn't truly fit in a "nice" remodel?

These are photos of this lovely, untouched-since-1979 kitchen. In case you are wondering about the charming, fluorescent bulbs hanging from the ceiling, the place had a curved plastic, umbrella canopy ceiling that we removed so we're just left with the bulbs.

In the new plan most of that squared off opening on the left will be removed, the fridge will move to the left in the area where the louvered doors currently are and that pass through will be enlarged with no cabinets above it, and there will be a tall pantry cabinet at the end of the counter run where the calendar currently hangs.

We've been living with the kitchen since we bought the place a year ago and have analyzed all of its design flaws and possibilities. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (26)