SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crystalpea

Layout Help for Small U-Shaped Kitchen

crystalpea
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Have been going back and forth on this kitchen for a while and haven't gotten a layout back that we love. Now that our oak overloaded kitchen the previous owner remodeled in '99 is quite literally falling apart we are trying to move things along.

This latest layout below is ok (I added the other rooms for reference), but we entertain a lot and I hate the idea of cooking staring at a wall. In our current kitchen the cooktop is on the island and people tend to hangout there and interact, which I really enjoy.

We don't have a lot of "wants" just:

-Room for at least a 36" cooktop or range

-No desire to tear down walls as the rest of the house is very open and we like having the kitchen only open to the sitting room.

- Small pantry cabinet for high use items (we have a large pantry space right off the kitchen)

-Anything tall (refrigerator included) on the dining side kitchen wall so you aren't accosted by it when you walk into the sitting room or kitchen entrances

Have gone back and forth on island vs. peninsula, 48" range on garage side wall with peninsula where it is on the current layout, etc. It seems many people on this forum hate the idea of a cooktop on a peninsula or island, but...is it really that bad?

Anyone have ideas on making this layout work and not having the chef facing a wall? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I want to go back to a KD with intention and finally get it done.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert