SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megankamins

calling all kitchen experts and enthusiasts - layout advice please!

MBAK
3 years ago

Hello kitchen experts and enthusiasts! Hoping you can take a look at a working draft of a new kitchen..

Few things -

-I know some folks will not like the stove and sink directly across from each other, but I do not mind

-I know some folks will think it is not necessary to have a eat-in kitchen table when there's an island and adjoining dining room, but I want to keep that and know we will get a lot of use out of it

-I am a bit worried about the 45" aisle in front of the fridge.. I could get that to 48" without encroaching too much more on the eat-in kitchen area

-The sink is not centered in the island but aligns with stove, so I am planning on flanking island pendants around them even though it will be asymmtrical by 9" on the left side of island.. I've been advised by some wise Houzzers that no one will ever notice. I could slide the sink and stove over a little more but again don't want to encroach too much more on kitchen table nook

-I could also move the microwave over to the pantry or replace the wine fridge tower (although hubby is excited about that - probably doesn't need to be that large) .. but I do like microwave hidden in island in theory

-I will have some pull out drawer base cabinets, a knife drawer, a spices drawer, under cabinet lighting

-The cabinet with appliance garage and pantry can have trim at top to match line created by smaller cabinet in uppers

-Rendering below shows kitchen table with chairs on both sides but to save a bit more room, we are planning on doing a banquette against windows

-I also was thinking about extending base cabinets - like a built in sideboard - all the way to windows to finish off that space since nook is 14 feet long and we will use a 6 person table (so 5-6 ft) and can still move the 3 windows down a bit.. but don't want to crowd it so think we will wait to see how it looks after build and maybe do custom sideboard or something in that space..

If you've read this far, thank you. What else am I missing? What should I consider?

The plans are a work in progress, so I could only snap a photo of them. The dimensions may be difficult to see so I mocked up a rendering to show a bit clearer and represent it in relation to rooms it is surrounded by - it opens up into the family room and a dining room...

Comments (25)