SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19968692

Calling all terrazzo experts!

User
15 years ago

I am so tired of pouring money into my terrazzo floors. the first guy I used 8 years ago charged me $1000 to strip and wax(yuck!) my 1600 sq. ft. of terrazzo. I then got an excellent recommendation and had it redone (when the wax started scratching off). I believe it was about $2400. The finish was lustrous, and best yet, he did not use any wax! Then came Katrina and four inches of water. I called the same guy out and this time he charged me $4K!! Now, I'm having my kitchen gutted and need to clean under the cabinets because the new cabinets will fall just an inch short of the old ones, revealing a dark and dirty line where the old toekick used to be.

I've tried cleaning it myself using over-the-counter chemicals and some elbow grease, but to no avail. I tried calling the two remaining guys left in town and both are booked up for a month. (they charge about $4/sq. ft., so the job would cost me $800 for my smallish galley kitchen).

Does anyone know the proper way to deep clean terrazzo? What are the best chemicals to use and what machines can I purchase or rent for the job? I'm thinknig of using a hand held round sander with a 100 grit paper and moving up to 1300 grit, then buffing. what do you think? My contractor dry sanded with his rotary sander in one inconspicuous place, and it had very little effect. but we were testing it gently, to check how much pressure could be applied safely. (apparently a lot)

Please, your expert advice would be much appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH