Help with layout for a long narrow bathroom 20 x 6 (plus 3'xtra shower

Debra Hobbs

Im trying to plan a remodel in my master bathroom. Its 20'long overall and 6'wide with 7' of it being 9 feet wide accommodating the walk-in shower. I think I ll nix the tub to gain more storage.

Any advice?

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Beth H. :

you're going to have to be more specific.

Advice with what?

Provide pics, or a plan of some sort.

ask specific questions if you want advice.

2 Likes Save    
btydrvn

My advice is don’t do it ...figure out how to get a more useful space...whatever you have to change or give up will be worth it ...

1 Like Save    
Debra Hobbs

Was trying to add an armoire and coffee station so thought I would rework the footprint

Save    
L K

That bathroom is tremendously large. But wierdly narrow! Where is it in your home layout? Is this a new build?

Save    
Debra Hobbs

It is narrow and lacks storage so thought when I update floors shower and cabinetry I would get rid of the tub and use that area

Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

you have a lot of windows. what if you closed one off and brought in a tall linen cabinet?

you have 116" for the vanity, including that one window. that's way too long for countertop and sink.

I'd close off the window, do a 72" double vanity, and bring in a 24" X 8' tall storage tower or some type of built-in. you can choose to put it in the middle (where that window is) or put it on one of the ends.

let me show you some diff ways to accomplish it.

this has the smaller one on the countertop. you wouldn't need to do this since you have plenty of room to do a wider cabinet.

like shown here.

On mine I did a large cabinet like this one from RH, and it sits across from my vanity. It has a ton of storage space.

again, these could go to the floor, not sit on the countertop.

Or, you could get something built-in around your vanitiy

You could also add something like this near the tub or even the shower area. you have the width for it

bring in a built in nook on the bathtub surround.

another option since you'll be removing the window between the sinks, is to do a niche. simple to do since they have to remove the window. gives extra shelving storage for everyday vanity items.

you could also do some storage shelves between the vanities. it just depends on what type of vanity you buy, or have custom built.

these look like two 42" vanities w/the cubbies built to link the two.

maybe you want drawers.

Save     Thanked by Debra Hobbs
PRO
Flo Mangan

Almost everyone is eliminating a tub in their master bathrooms. Showers are just so much more practical and better use of space. I think Beth has covered the waterfront but I would only do tall cabinets on vanity if absolutely necessary. They tend to make things feel crowded IMO. A separate cabinet stand alone would be preferable. I put an armoire in a couple of our bathrooms and that was great. Added character, warmth with wood and a lot of good storage. They are really cheap right now too. Might want to incorporate something like that.

PRO
Flo Mangan

Here’s photo. Bathroom long but had more width than yours. Still these are 12” deep generally. Very flexible.

PRO
Flo Mangan

I meant the armoires are fairly narrow in depth. In another bath I put a large glass display cabinet and that worked well too. So I think adding a unit like that would work well fir you once you remove tub.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
New This Week 6 Small Bathrooms With Dramatic Walk-In Showers
In 65 square feet or less, these designers make big design statements using stylish tile and bold contrast
Full Story
Bathroom Design 8 Narrow Bathrooms That Rock Tubs in the Shower
Not a fan of shower-tub combos or of ditching the tub altogether? Check out these 8 spaces with tubs in the shower
Full Story
Bathroom Design New This Week: 6 Bathrooms That Rock a Shower-Tub Combo
Designers showcase beautiful ways to make this classic bathroom feature worth keeping
Full Story
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes is a remodeling company, focusing on complete kitchen, bathroom, basement &... Read More