SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
surfsuhp

Master Bathroom Layout 6 x 14 Help Please

Mike Tantraphol
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are currently working on a 500 sf addition to our home, which primarily includes adding of a master bedroom and bathroom. This is resulting in a room of about 12 x 14, master closet of 6 x 7, and master bathroom of 6 x 14.

Any thoughts or feedback on the current layout? Is the bathroom too narrow relative to the master bedroom layout? We're having a tough time envisioning the pieces any other way.

Comments (60)

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

What are the exact measurements of the interior of your bathroom/closet and toilet area all together? Is it 15'3" x 13'3"? What is the smallest size of the tub and shower you are willing to go? Is a shower bench a must?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I don't like your layout at all. If nothing else, your toilet is next to your bedroom, meaning anytime someone uses the toilet in the middle of the night you'll hear it. Then to make matters worse, you have to walk into the bathroom to wash your hands. It doesn't make logical sense.

And I disagree you can have it all.

I made the shower about 2" shorter in length, the toilet closet 5' long instead of 6' in length and the vanity wider. Your closet is exactly the same size. So is your tub.

I did take out the two rows of hanging clothes as it's not possible as you have it as you have it drawn. Your interior closet is 6' wide. You need 3' of walking space and 2' of hanging space for clothes. What you can put on the opposite wall is 1' of shelving. I added a pocket door for the closet. With a good closet system, you can have plenty of hanging and shelving space.

I made the closet opposite into hanging too but it could just as easily become a dresser for storing folded clothing if you don't want a dresser in the bedroom.

So now you walk past your closets into the bathroom.

You do need to move your hallway door into your bedroom down so it doesn't hit your bed. That is just poor as it is now.

Now you walk into the bathroom, past the vanities and to the toilet. I put in a pocket door but you could put in a swinging saloon door too. Either would work. Then once you get out of the toilet, you walk to the vanities and then out the door.

I didn't play with your windows. I figured you can arrange them however you'd like.

Mike Tantraphol thanked cpartist
  • Related Discussions

Layout help for 9'3' x 8'6' bathroom

Q

Comments (17)
    Houseful, I'm overwhelmed! You're so nice to help me with this! What program are you using to generate these, BTW? I talked to my contractor last night and he says that if I put the shower in the front corner (behind the hall door) that I will be able to have a curbless shower. (That area is currently a closet and is a few inches lower than the rest of the bathroom because it doesn't have the big mud bed like the tile bathroom has. ) At first I was loving the first of the two most recent options but then I realized that if someone is standing at the sink closest to the potty it interferes with getting to / using the potty. I am leaning towards having the vanity straight along the left wall, the potty in the back corner on the right, and a big shower behind the door. I liked the size and shape of the 3rd option at the very top, so I tried putting that behind the door and it seems to work nicely. I think it gives me about 3' clearance between the closest point between the vanity and the shower. Is that good? Thanks again for everything! Anita
    ...See More

Please Help with Master Bathroom Layout

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, I think generally the placement of your fixtures is as good as you will get in a room of this shape and size. But I also think that it would be nice to 1) if at all possible shield the toilet area or give the commode its own WC (water closet); and 2) enlarge the shower space as I don't believe a 42 x 42 shower will be sufficient for placing two shower heads. It's quite possible you can steal space for your shower from the area now set aside for the floor standing tub. Good luck!
    ...See More

Master Bathroom layout help please

Q

Comments (10)
    "I'm a little confused about your wife. Are you saying that you would prefer #2 because the shower is larger but your wife would prefer #1 because the open space is to the side?" No worries, at times she confuses me too. ; ) I was going to expand on that but didn't. As a single-issue item, I'd prefer the floor layout of #2 because you get a larger shower and you really don't lose floor functionality elsewhere. As a single issue item, my wife would prefer the tub orientation in #1. Normally we'd balance out using the larger shower once or twice a day versus perhaps only using the tub once a week or so. She'd go for "the greater good" and choose the larger shower of #2 over the tub orientation of #1. HOWEVER...your "small" shower is still pretty darn large. Your floor plan shows the small shower still having roughly 5' of open floor length. Plus a bench on the end. So it'll be plenty spacious and airy. "And yet another issue for #2 (did you mean #1?) and #3 is that if two people are using the tub, if only the far person wants to get out they kind of have to climb over the other person." I did consider ingress/egress regarding someone having to climb over another. But because of the size of your tub, with #1/#3, it'd be pretty easy for the blocker to pull their legs in or rotate 90-degrees. Or just be climbed upon. Even with tub orientations #2 and #4, it's not likely that someone is going to step over their headrest to exit the tub. They'll likely shuffle into the foot space of the other bather and exit there where there is no head rest barrier. So with either orientation, I'd think someone will step over or around someone else. "#1 seems to be the only layout that doesn't have any logistical problems but it makes for a smaller shower." I'm really glad you wrote that. Because on the whole, your smaller shower is still plenty large. At least to me. Even with the bench you're looking at roughly 5' of open floor, which I think is fine. I it was my decision, because the small shower is still pretty large, I'd give my wife the tub orientation that she wants with #1. If you plan on watching the TV on the wall while in the tub, I'd mount it on an articulating bracket that can hinge out from the wall. With #1 you'd have to turn your head about 45-degrees to watch. With #2, if the TV can rotate out 90-degrees from the wall, you could watch the screen straight-on.
    ...See More

8’11 x 8’6 bathroom layout help

Q

Comments (12)
    It's right here. Next to the vanity. Twenty four inches wide, approximately. Note. When you stand in a lowly tub shower, which you may be doing? You stand in 20 inches width. Baths are about inches. The contractor "didn't recommend a half wall. WHY? Glass on top of that knee wall gives you all the light from the window within the shower. It doesn't "leak".. Maybe have the brilliant contractor design your bath, as he apparently can not do, : ) You can leave the door and do as suggested above by another poster. Either can work as she posted. But a bath with no linen consideration is one I would try to AVOID. The bath is "adamant" about its INCHES. The inches are the dictators. I can assure you a 42 x 48 shower is very generous in daily use. Having no place for supplies and towels and etc at hand is not fun in a master bath, Which is why you plan first, buy vanities and tile etc..........after. I assume you now have a vanity with two finished sides, and in almost any scenario ......you don't want or need two finished sides.
    ...See More
  • Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If I subtract 4 1/2" inches for each wall, I think I have 15' vertical and 12' 10" horizontal. That would be inside wall to inside wall.

I really do appreciate that feedback on the vanity. And I like the water closet relocation. Those address 2 concerns that I had. One of the reasons we flipped the closet to the right side, is to avoid having to "turn a corner" in the bathroom.

One other idea I had was to flip the vanity and the tub, and invert the shower position so to suzanne's point the plumbing is at least on an interior wall for the shower. Also, the vanity would grow from 6' to 7', which for a double vanity would be nice.

Do you think this is a bit better?

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Trying to move the water closet away a bit...

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

I drew your 2nd previous layout based on the 15'0" x 12'10" measurements. The tub is too short. If your want 2 rows of hanging space, I would not go less than a 6'6" deep closet.

Also, I believe most houses allow for plumbing on the outside walls but I know some don't. I don't know about your house. If you are not sure, I would check with your architect.

What is the smallest size of the tub and shower you are willing to go? Is a shower bench a must?

I moved your bedroom door a bit towards the south wall but I think you should move it all the way down.

Mike Tantraphol thanked suzanne_m
  • Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you both, I really appreciate the thought and having the measurements, really helps to visualize where to give. I was thinking of 60" for the tub. I could make it a freestanding if need be. Thinking back to cpartist's comment, I think I need to give up the short wall as hanging, and convert that to dresser or shelving only.

Any extra space I might gain by doing that, I could use to widen the shower. Then when I flip vertical, voila! The water closet is further away.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the thought and time today.

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

I put windows in front of the shower but you obviously need privacy. There are ways to keep the space private while keeping some natural light. The shower is long enough, it does not need a door.

Standard closets are 24" deep. These accept any clothing from winter jackets to sleeveless summer blouse. If you intend to put only indoor clothing in your closet, you should be ok with 1'9" even though that more is better.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    unfortunately, I can't post a picture, but here's an idea. Instead of a walk in closet, you could have a row of wardrobes. it does the same job, I find it's often kept less cluttered, easier to clean and a neat look, potentially saving a bit of space, and is sometimes large enough to change in as well. Not everyone's choice though
    a picture would be great here but I'll explain

Think of this.
    (top, bottom, left and right used to refer to areas as drawn originally)
    Bedroom as your original plan shows.
    wall of closets (12ft) along the bottom, where the sofa and toilet are shown
    3ft hallway separating the closets from bedroom.
    door along the hallway, to the bathroom (12ft × 8/9ft)
    toilet (5×3 wc) in the top left corner of the bathroom, 'vertical' on paper
    (while you don't want the toilet too close to the bed, too far is an issue as well. You can try insulation from a bookshelf, thick wall, etc)
    vanity along the 5ft of the wc
    slower and bathtub on the right of the bathroom, you should have enough space for both comfortably, with a shower seat too.

consider the space you're working with; how it ties in with the rest of the house, where you get the best light and air flow, etc. you could for instance switch the cliset and bathroom area with the bedroom if the lighting is better in that end, and take full advantage of external walls for Windows
    Mike Tantraphol thanked Najeebah
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

In a space as small as yours having the closet inside the bathroom is not good IMO. How will you keep the clothes from getting moist?

And you seem to miss the point that you cannot have a closet 6' wide and have hanging on both sides. That only gives you 2' to walk in between the clothes. And yes you can get away with 19" like suzanne says IF you don't have any suit jackets, etc. And if neither of your are extra tall or wide.

And I don't understand the concern about turning the corner in the bathroom?

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For cpartist, you are right. I got caught up in not having
    an extra door in the bedroom (small bedroom too). But, that was causing several
    other issues. So, back to closet access
    from the bedroom. I could increase closet to 6’6” (wide) and 6’ (deep). Then, I
    could tuck a pretty decent sized shower back there. And perhaps make less of a corner.

For Suzanne_m, I don’t know if I could do a narrow-wise
    shower. I flipped the shower and water closet, and then I flipped the vanity
    and tub (maybe it could go either way). It’s a little choppy, but I think there’s
    5’ now between each element. Maybe the walk-in is hanging on the top wall, and the opposing wall is just 1' shelving.

Either way, thank you both. I've lost the plot for sure.

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

Actually, I prefer the layout I drew mainly because the vanity is long enough to put two towers where the left tower can have an electrical outlet inside. I don't have a tower sitting on my vanity at home but I would love it to hide my electric toothbrush plugged at all time and store a handy hair dryer, daily creams and hair products. This all contributes in keeping the vanity counter clutter free. The 2 towers give you a lot of storage which means you don't need a separate cabinet.

If you look at the floor plan, you only have 2 ft of only 3'1" wide walkway (that is only one step). The space in front of the shower is also only a walkway as I think most people will dry themselves inside that long shower and then go directly in front of the vanity or in the closet. I believe you would find a 3'6" wide shower quite spacious. The shower may look narrow but that is only because it is very long. I believe I saw that your initial shower was 3'2" wide.

A 6'6" wide x 6'0" long closet with hanging space on the 3 walls gives you only 15'0" of hanging space where 4'0" of them are hard to access because of the corners. Imo, corners in closet are inefficient.

EDIT: I forgot that the south wall was an exterior wall. I would place the windows above the tub instead of beside the shower. This would also give you a nice reflection in your vanity mirror.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I like suzanne's version except that I find such a long shower wasteful of space. I had a 3' x 6' shower in my condo and it really was 1' too long. It could have been about 6" wider, but not longer. Our new shower will actually finish out to 5' x 40" and it's plenty spacious for myself or 2 of us.

Actually i sort of like Najeebeh's idea. You could make the bedroom and the bathroom just a bit larger.

Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly Bedroom 11 · More Info

Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

Sellwood Library House · More Info

PARK AVENUE DUPLEX · More Info

Landrum SC residence · More Info

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    to go back to the first question asked; do you use the tub frequently?
    Another option: rotate the bathroom and closet areas, from what they're originally shown as. This is similar to what I suggested earlier, but gives double the storage, and as a walk in, not space with wardrobes, and does not have a separate wc.
    you'll have the bedroom as is, and a wall separating it from the bathroom & closet, with a door to each.
    closet and bathroom will be 12ft × 7ft each, or a bit less for wall thickness.
    you'll get 2 rows of closet space, each 2ft wide, leaving a 3ft walkway
    in the bathroom, vanity of 6/7ft along the 'top' wall, entrance door 'below' that, followed by the toilet. yes, again sharing a wall with the bedroom, but I think that can be worked around. Then on the right wall, the shower in the top corner and the bathtub below that
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago
    ask just read up, it's similar to what Suzanne posted, only with the shower lower, and tub and toilet switched
  • suzanne_m
    6 years ago

On
    this one, I changed the shape of your vanity so your sinks are in the widest
    part on the bathroom since that is where there is the most activity and you need
    more space to move around. Reducing the depth of the counter in front of the shower gives more floor space in
    that area while the shallower part close to the door allows you to stand
    further away from an opening door that swings towards someone standing in front
    of the left sink.

EDIT:

The number 4'7" in the shower should be 4'4" instead. The space in front of the shower/WC is 3'4" x 3'0".

I just realized that the cabinet could be recessed in the closet wall and the two 9" x 1'6" counter top of the vanity could be changed 9" x 1'3". This would enlarge the space in front of the/shower toilet by 3". Also the sinks could be a little more apart. This would give you wider drawers in the middle of your vanity.

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Suzanne_m, I think you've been right on about the vanity tub placement. I actually just turned in 2 options to our architect for final, but both are basically going to have the vanity opposite the tub.

Here's the first:

And your second, but maybe bumping back the wall a bit, just to give us a bit more floor space and doing only one side hanging.

I really appreciate your perspective on this! What a change for us in 24 hours!

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

If
    possible I try to avoid corners in closet because the clothes at the
    intersection are hard to reach. I drew the closet of your layout above. A
    1'0" corner of clothes is not the best but at least it is better than
    1'9" deep corner.

I put a
    2'0" wide door in the WC because with a 2'6" door, you would need to stand too close to the
    toilet in order to be able to close it. Even 2'0" door is not the
    best but in this configuration you can't replace it by a pocket door.

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

As you can see, a pocket door in your closet as drawn in your layout above does not help. It makes the space more cramped and gives you less length of easy access to the clothes. You can have the pocket door but just run one row of clothing in the back.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    this is a house, a place of daily use, over years. inevitability, at some point, people will get ill. You do not want a long route to the toilet for an emergency, as you have shown in your last post. it's not terrible, but it could certainly be better
  • suzanne_m
    6 years ago

If you are willing to go with only one row of hanging space, the previous layout I drew could look like this:

I can understand that the walkway to access the closet in the layout above is narrow. If you are willing to lose some storage in both the closet and the bathroom, you can put your closet door right by the entrance of the bathroom door. The space behind the vanity is just a bit shy of 4'0". I think it is acceptable:

Oops, I forgot to move the bathroom door further down.

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok Najeebah and Suzanne_m. this one's for you. Master closet has clothes hanging on the top wall only. I think the closet is 5' now. Turn the toilet sideways, and if measurements are correct, I end up with 4.5' feet between vanity and water closet, over 6' feet between a 42" shower and 64.5" closet (includes interior wall), and 4.375' between any pinch where the vanity and shower overlap.

Could this be it... ?

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    so there's other storage, not hanging clothes, along the widths of the closet? and you'd have about 10ft of hanging space? Alright. Looking better imo. I like the central space and toilet and vanity both near to the entrance. I'm not a fan of closets accessed through bathrooms,for the inconvenience and moisture issues. But others find them great. Have you lived with one previously
  • suzanne_m
    6 years ago

This is close to what you explained with some minor additions/changes. I suggest that you run the hanging space all the way to the back wall. The way you have it in your layout above makes the access to what is on the shelves in the corners hard to reach.

I added a tower on the vanity. It takes more counter top space but at the same time you have more storage to hide non decorative elements such as tooth brushes etc.

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Najeebah - no hanging clothes along the width. For our schedules, we are a-ok with closet in the bathroom.

suzanne_m - you are a pro. you nailed it. I think I'm going to widen the shower to 42", and have a bit smaller freestanding. I just told our architect to scrap the earlier designs and went with what we drew up. I told him to make it final.

I am truly floored. Suzanne_m, najeebah, cpartist... you are all tremendous contributors and I thank you (x1000) wherever you might be right now!!! How do we get you some "PRO" tags? Thank you

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

I would suggest a frosted french cafe door for your closet. This way the door stay closed at all times and it easy to open when you need it.

I would also rotate the tub so so have a view of the vanity and a closed door closet. If you widen the shower (and the WC), I would make the closet 4'9" instead of 5'0".

The location of the towel bar for the shower is not practical if you have a door. I would mount the towel bar on the shower glass door for easy access.

You could make your shower doorless but then you won't be able to put a bench a the end (a corner bench could work).

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I would also do a frosted door on the toilet closet to let more light in. That's what we did in our condo and what we're also doing in our new build.

I like the new layout overall. However I am no fan of having to walk into the middle of the bathroom to get to the closet. I think I would be ok with it near the door to the bedroom, but not where it is now. I would also be worried about it becoming a moisture problem where it is. I can't see a way to completely moisture proof the closet.

Honestly, if I saw a house with a master closet in the bathroom, it would be a huge negative to me as a buyer.

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Suzanne_m and cpartist, is a frosted glass panel version of
    the attached, what you envision for the doors:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/bethesda-master-bathroom-beach-style-bathroom-dc-metro-phvw-vp~11113633

Your comments address a concern that came up with light in the room. As
    the top wall is closest to our neighbor’s house (darker), and the right and bottom walls
    are yard facing, with more natural light (lighter).

I think frosted glass is a great idea for the water closet.
    I also suggested a window transom for the shower to our architect if we needed
    more light still along the bottom wall.

Suzanne_m, I think the towel bar placement is great where it
    is. I was thinking the shower door could swing towards the bathroom, rather
    than towards tub, and then the tower bar would be in the right spot?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Surfsuhp, there are several different versions of frosted panels where you can only see shapes or color through. You need to test them. This is what I had in my condo I sold. It was frosted. You can barely make out the haze of the toilet inside.

The toilet closet was on the right. The door was a saloon type door that swings both in and out. That is safer for a toilet closet because if something happens, someone can still get in to help.

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

I believe that a shower door must not open towards the inside of the shower. Below is how I visualize your shower door. You can always get out of your shower completely then close the door than grab the towel but as you can see it is not practical. That is why I suggested the towel bar mounted on the door but even that I am not liking it that much. I think a hook between the toilet and the shower would be better.

I like the idea of the frosted glass for both the toilet and the closet.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    I think surfs means an outward opening door, hinged on the other end, which would mean one would be close enough to the towel rail
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago
    I would advise against a window at the shower. transoms remain a moisture risk. If you have a glass shower door, you'll get sufficient lighting from the window at the tub, and for ventilation, don't take the doors to the ceiling, and get a good extraction fan. a very good fan, as you also have the closet off the bathroom
  • jakkom
    6 years ago

Just wondering - in all these plans, are people allowing for the subtraction of drywall, molding, etc., in their measurements?

I ask because I noticed some of these plans have a 2' door? About 10 yrs ago I fell outside and ended up with a compound leg fracture. I used a walker for almost two months. I could just barely get the walker through a standard 32" door.

To go to as much trouble as you're going to, but not allow for at least a minimum amount of universal access, seems to me to be overlooking the realities of life.

Our own MBa is 6x13. Standard 6' double sink because going longer costs extra for both cabinets and countertops, and wasn't worth it. One tower cab for spouse holds a ton of stuff; no need for a linen closet (for which a wall niche works just fine). Sink cabs hold the rest. We prefer showers so the tub is in the 2nd bathroom on the main floor. We have two niches in the shower and should have done three.

Plus, we overlooked safety bar installation, which was just plain dumb. I regret it to this day.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I believe that a shower door must not open towards the inside of the shower.

My shower door was also a saloon type that swung in or out.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I ask because I noticed some of these plans have a 2' door?

I missed that! I would like jakkom suggests, make all doors a minimum of 32" wide. In my new build all my doors are 36" wide.

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

I am curious to know where you see 2'0" doors. Other than the layouts I drew with my software which shows 2'6" doors no other layouts mentioned the size of the doors. Did I miss something?

In the last layout, the shower door is 3'0" and you can widen any other doors.

The only thing I should mention in the layouts I drew is that you should allow for a 4.5" thick walls not 4". My software draws them 4" by default and I don't know how to change that. Also I think you need to allow for a 4.75 thick wall when a pocket door is sliding inside.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

suzanne, even a 2'6" door is still a bit narrow for someone with a walker. I don't think it was a diss on you, but just to make the OP aware they should increase the door sizes to at least 32".

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    Suzanne needs a coffee :)
    (You posted a 2ft door to the w/c in a post above, to allow easier entry)
  • suzanne_m
    6 years ago

That's right Njeebah, I just saw the 2'0" in the 2 posts stamped yesterday at 11:17 and 11:27 am.

I agree, you have room to make your doors wider, I would do it.

• suzanne_m
    6 years ago

I like cpartist's idea to have a shower door that opens both ways. I think that what is not to code is when the shower door opens only inward but I am not completely sure. I just heard a Houzzer saying that a shower opening inward is not code.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Suzanne that's good to know about the shower door. Even if there's no code, I still think it's a good idea to have it open out for the same reason you want a door to a toilet closet to open out. If you ever fall, or have a problem while on the toilet or in the shower, if it opens out, help can get to you.

Sheesh the things I've learned here on houzz

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have truly appreciated all your help in getting our project off the ground. Although it is the holiday tomorrow, we haven’t heard from our architect since last Thursday. We originally engaged our architect in February, and it will have been 5 months in the design phase of a 500 sf addition, which basically adds a master bed and bath.

For context, it was supposed to take 4 weeks to get through design and on to construction documents. Instead, it has taken us 5 months. It took 4 weeks to provide an initial 2-story design which we liked, then 4 weeks to realize that he hadn’t accounted for the city setback and redesign a 2-story we didn’t like, 3 weeks to deliver a 1-story design without a setback (but that didn’t have a layout that worked), 2 weeks to redraw a drawing that I sent over. I pretty much thought we were done on May 25 and off to construction documents, but used all the extra time this past month to get the bathroom right.

Is this typical of the design process? It seems to be taking longer than anticipated, given the scope of work. I still don't think we are on to construction documents, and he indicated this could take another 3 weeks. Appreciate your thoughts on whether this experience is common.

• roarah
    6 years ago

I only added a hundred sq feet above an existing single story side sunroom with adequate existing setbacks and foundation and it still took from first initial meeting with GC and architect in November 2015 until August 2016 to use my new bathroom. A lot of the delay was on us too. Could not finalize wants quickly on my part and had a major personal crisis one week after we tore off the existing roof that needed two operations and weeks of hospitalization.

Some other delays were weather related and we had the slowest tiler in the world.

I do think you do not want to rush this. For the time, money and inconvience you are putting out you want it to be perfect which means lots of time planning. I know you are anxious but honestly a year after ours was done I no longer remember the worst of last summer and the bathroom was worth it.

Mike Tantraphol thanked roarah
  • oldbat2be
    6 years ago

surfsuhp - I have two bathrooms to remodel, so occasionally read this forum. Comparing your original layout to the most recent ones, I can only commend you on the improvements I see. With respect to your '....this could go on another three weeks...' please think about how this may apply to your kitchen and other areas of the house. I can see that this may add months to the process with hopefully a much improved end result. Having gone through a major remodel a few (5+) years ago, I may (and do) question my finish choices (my choices) , but have zero regrets over the highly functional layout with which the forum helped tremendously. (Said differently, these are the 'pat yourself on the back' solutions because you fixed a problem or optimized a space' solutions). I'd highly suggest you post each layout, and solicit input. Kitchen, closet, etc. A year from now, do you want a space which is complete/finished/DONE or one which is functional and attractive? For example, step through how you would make an omelet (pancakes/scrambled eggs/oatmeal). Where are the pans, ingredients, plates in your kitchen layout. Best of luck, oldbat2be

Mike Tantraphol thanked oldbat2be
  • Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for giving me the patient pill... it helps to get feedback on the design process, and that some back and forth is expected. I didn't realize how much I'd have to contribute (and then rely on houzz for).

Going back a few comments, suzanne mentioned a frosted glass door to the closet. I don't forsee going into the closet and then closing the door behind me. Is there a benefit to a frosted glass closet door, other than aesthetics? (I understand the glass water closet door because that is opposite the window).

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all, it's been 2 weeks since I turned in our design to the architect, and he hasn't responded yet. I am trying to be patient, but he did say he would have construction documents available to submit to the city next week.

In the meantime, I realize that I have been working with him room by room. Lately, I have noticed the result is that we have created 3 different adjacent room lengths (top to bottom) in the house. For example, Bedroom B was sized to match Bedroom A, the master bathroom was widened based on this thread, and then the master bedroom falls in between. Do you think this layout just looks funny to me on paper, and might actually be ok? Should I be trying to line up the wall with Bedroom B (making it 13' and a bit small), or bathroom (making it 15' and squeezing the family room)? Or should I make the Family Room square, and then just have a flush wall with the master bed and bathroom (there would be a small jog then in the master bedroom).

Thank you.

• Mike Tantraphol
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Suzanne_m, Naj, and CP – Not sure if you are still following
    this thread, but our work was recently completed and our especially talented
    designer (Irene Lovett) just took some photos, and I thought you’d be
    interested to see how all your input came to life. A long way from the initial post, that's for sure!

All credit to our interior designer, Irene Lovett of
    designstiles, for completing this bathroom. For more info, please see her link
    at: https://www.houzz.com/pro/designstiles/designstiles

• Karenseb
    6 years ago

That is pretty amazing! I'd love to see the rest of your remodel. Nicely done.

Mike Tantraphol thanked Karenseb
  • damiarain
    6 years ago

Outstanding! A beautiful space - you must be so pleased!

Also, so awesome to see the ‘after’ especially given all the great back-and-forthing on the thread :)

Mike Tantraphol thanked damiarain
  • kudzu9
    6 years ago

OMG...what an improvement from your first post! It's gone from being awkward, with a poor use of square footage, to sensational. Thanks for the update.

Mike Tantraphol thanked kudzu9
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago

Hi, I'm still here Surfs! Been a while, and a very productive while on your side I see.

Impressive work, thanks for sharing the update!