SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

OMG! Beet Bread!

plllog
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

i thought of this awhile back. Today, I had some beet puree to use up and figured why not beet bread? I started with a standard recipe I've been using, adapted from KA, substituted the beets for 2/3 of the water, and knowing beets can make things around them taste bland, I grabbed a random seasoning blend--Penzey's Sunny Spain—and shook some into the mix. The dough was beet pink and very tasty. By the time it was kneaded, the color of the flour was asserting itself as it absorbed the beets. By the time it was cooked through, it was an appetizing molasses-like brown.

AWESOME. Moist, close texture. Amazing flavor. Nice crust with a little crunch from the oil, but otherwise more chewy than crisp.

JC’s Beet Bread

Ingredients

1 packet ADY (2.25 tsp active dry yeast)
1-2 tsp Sunny Spain lemon pepper, (black pepper, citric acid, lemon peel powder, garlic, onion)
11 g or 1.5 tsp Salt
1 cup Raw Beet Puree
1/2 cup + ~1 TBSP lukewarm Water
475 g Flour ~11% Protein with Malt

Directions

Bring ingredients to room temperature, or warm the beet puree lightly (not enough to kill the yeast).

In mixer bowl, use Danish dough whisk or tool of choice to mix salt and pepper blend into flour. Make a hollow on top and put yeast in it.

Add 1/2 c. water to the cup of raw red beet puree and stir together.

Add the beet/water mixture to the flour mixture, wetting the yeast.

Use dough whisk or wooden spoon to mix until the dough forms a shaggy ball. Add a tablespoon or so of water if needed. Knead lightly until it forms a proper ball incorporating all the flour.

Let rest about 1 hour.

Knead 10-15 minutes until elastic snd well stretched.

Gather the dough ball turning the edges under.. Put dough in greased bowl, cover, and let rise at (warm) room temp. about 1 hour.

Heat oven to 415 degrees F, rack in the middle, convection bake mode. Maybe a little higher if no convection,

In a 2 qt. cast iron dutch oven, or similar, oil the surfaces. Punch down and shape the dough ball and set it in the pot. Cover and let rise about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until doubled.

Bake for 35 minutes then lower the temperature to 375 degrees F, and remove the cover. Bake uncovered an additional 10-15 minutes.

Turn out of pot immediately and cool on rack until completely steamed out. Store in a bread wrap.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company