SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - 4/6/21

Annie Deighnaugh
3 years ago

Today, show me something crafting related.

Domesticity week:

M- Cooking

T - Crafting

W - Gardening

Th - Reading

Fr - Other or photog's choice

-------------------------

Please post one's own photos, not pictures or memes pulled off the internet, facebook, twitter, etc.

Give credit where credit is due.

See guidelines here

Comments (31)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My SIL, may she RIP, had the most incredible patience to work on crafts. She started with counted cross stitch and moved on to beading. This is one of the smaller pieces she made. I posted a close up to give you an idea of just how small the beads are.

• H B
    3 years ago

Those beads are small!!! I have been sewing masks, and knowing zip about quilting figured to make a quilt with the leftovers. Well, this did not make a dent in the scrap pile, it was fun, though!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beautiful quilt HB! Love the color rainbow.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I am not a crafter, so.....I went into DD’s archives and found this gentleman

Side story: DD will often take Polaroid pictures and present one to the person

after taking their photo.

They really enjoy getting these pictures of themselves.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

DH's grandfather made Mr and Mrs Claus:

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

I don’t do ‘crafting’ for its own sake. There’s enough stuff in my house without me adding to it. But I do occasionally make useful items. Like masks ....

• nicole___
    3 years ago

Sunbrella covered cushions.

• nhbaskets
    3 years ago

I’ve previously posted on the progress of this quilt. Long way to go before it’s done, but pleased with how it’s developing. My first ever quilt!

Four+ decades ago while in high school, I did this crewel work piece. That was the start of my crafting.

• lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

Sadly, I am not at all crafty. I did get into decoupage when it was a craze in the '60s(?) The only piece I have now.

And this is something my daughter did when she was given a huge sample book of the then popular vinyl wall coverings. She covered all kinds of cans with it and gave them away. This is a tomato soup can and still in use on my computer desk. She was about 9 then, and so proud of her work. She is now 61.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

We have several different toys crafted by an old neighbor.

nhbaskets - I love watching your quilt come together. You have a great eye for proportion and color. I often look back on the original pattern to see how you've made this your own design and you've definitely improved on it. Are you using a quilt frame and how large will it be when you've finished?

• lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

maire-cate, wow. The same daughter who did the can in my above post crafted that same airplane as that of your neighbors when she was in her teens. It hangs in her home now.

• hallngarden
    3 years ago

Made these potholders . Always looking for sewing projects. So much peace sitting at my 54 year old machine sewing .

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

Your tree planting is coming along so well, NHBaskets. I can't wait to see the finished quilt, but I'm loving the in-progress pictures.

• HU-495495839
    3 years ago

My Diamond Dotz project. I have the frame for it just haven't got around to put it in the frame yet. Kittywhiskers

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

lgmd - I wonder if it was a kit that you could purchase? Or maybe it's from a pattern book. He gave us 2 planes and a truck. This is the other plane, DH polyurethaned it.

We've had them for nearly 25 years.

• User
    3 years ago

These are horse shoes that my daughter has made for clients over the years. I’m a proud mom and had to hang them somewhere 😊 They are too heavy for the fridge.

There are big ones, small ones, wide ones, corrective ones, aluminum (for weight), round, with the frog and with cleats for walking on ice.

• Lars
    3 years ago

Cardboard model I made for a new dining chair
    First article made in wood and upholstered in muslin - I did not make this, but I did create the design and write the specs for it to be made.

• nhbaskets
    3 years ago

Thanks, maire_cate and Fun! I’m not using any type of frame for this, just either sorting in my wing chair or at a table with the wholecloth quilt laid out. My version will be ~65% of the original, or about 45” square. I’m thinking about adding a cotton border, but haven’t started searching for that yet. Months before I’m at that point!

• Michele
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My mom made this. Must be 30-40 years ago. I’m at her place right now. I knew I’d be here today and wanted to post this.

• fran1523
    3 years ago

• woodrose
    3 years ago

H B, I can't believe that's your first quilt - it's fantastic for a beginner, or even a long-time quilter !

• lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

Maire-cate, I don't know where her inspiration came from, but I do know that it wasn't from a kit. I remember her Dad schooling her in all the woodworking details that went into it after she begged for the right wood from a neighbor that was into building furniture.

• H B
    3 years ago

I love all the creativity today! Thank you WoodRose...my Mom has quilted for a zillion years so I did a lot of thinking before launching on that project....figured squares were hard to mess up LOL. I did a bunch of coasters first to test out various bits (and totally not standard, but I serge the pieces together). Lars -- LOVE that chair, very elegant forms! Beautiful!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love all the creativity and talent shown here. You're all amazing!

• donna_loomis
    3 years ago

A few boxy bags.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

Not my hands, but this is my first attempt at woodturning. The band is inlaid. I was thrilled with how it turned out.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

I am such a dud. I’ve got nothing today.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

There’s always tomorrow, Ded.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh ded, I bet you have something handcrafted around, even if not done by you...

• Lars
    3 years ago

HB, I like the colors in your quilt, and I especially like the spiral quilting. My new sewing machine has a quilting arm, but I haven't used it yet, but I hope to get around to it eventually. I'm really backlogged with sewing projects at this point.

Murraysmom, I really like your wood turning also - that's something I've not tried, but I love the results.

It did not occur to me to post of photo of a craft that I simply owned - thanks for that suggestion.

Market baskets, from Ghana, on a table from the Ivory Coast. We use these at farmers' markets here, which is where we bought them. We bought one (on the right) in Mar Vista (L.A.) and the one on the left in Ojai.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

Thanks, Lars. You really should try it. My niece and I just went to a Woodcraft type shop where they held a class and we had never touched any machinery before and ended up with a very cool bowl after just a couple of hours. The instructor was very good and they supply the tools and safety helmet, goggles, etc.