SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Perennial suggestions with shallow roots

After telling some family members my plan to convert my bird bath to a succulent rock garden, my MIL loved the idea and wants me to do something similar with hers! But she would really rather have flowers than succulents, so I'm trying to plan it out for her.

We're in zone 7A.

Her birdbath is about 3' in diameter, 3" deep in the middle and about 2" deep around the edges. It's technically in full sun, but it's near a dogwood tree so it's really dappled sun until around 2pm (then direct sun until 7pm).

If necessary, I can move it to an area that's part shade, with direct sun starting at around 3 or 4pm.

Can you guys and gals suggest some flowers that would do well in this rather shallow depth? Preferably a perennial, or I'm gonna have to rebuild it myself every year! LOL I would have loved something like petunias, but I know they need more like 10" of depth :-O

I would prefer a trailing flower, but if that's not really an option then I can probably manage to get the trailing look with creeping jenny or (maybe) sweet potato vine...

Comments (11)