SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_932002778

Belt-driven, variable speed whole house fan?

Doug
3 years ago

Can someone point to a belt-driven whole house fan for roughly $350 with a motor that I can confidently attach a variable speed switch to?

I am looking for a belt-driven, whole house fan with variable speed switch; I had one of these before with great success, but cannot find one in the market now and can only find 1, 2 or 3 speed fans. (Not interested in timer switches, other fan types, 2-speed fans, duct fans like quiet cool, etc.) I can find quite a few belt-driven whole house fans at about $350, and would be happy to buy one of those and change out the switch ... if the fan motor will accept it.

If need be, I'd be open to buying the motor and fan assembly separately.

I can find a variable speed switch like this 10-amp one, but am open to others if they're rated comfortably more than the amperage of the fan motor recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/KB-Electronics-KBWC-110K-Variable-Control/dp/B0751JV38B/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Online I've seen conflicting advice about being able to use a solid state switch on a PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor) motor that this either works or is a fire hazard and would burn out the motor. Calling fan manufactures with PSC motor fans they say a variable speed switch won't work on theirs. I'm not 100% certain that isn't just an overly cautious answer because some idjit used a low amperage switch to start a fire and found a sharky lawyer to sue their fan manufacturer back in the day ... but I'm not going to going to go against that and risk burning down my house either.

** This is for a belt-driven whole house fan and a variable speed switch, not interested in timers, other fan types, 2-speed fans, duct fans like quiet cool, etc. **

Thanks in advance

Comments (25)