SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cd7733

Never would of thought: A hamper cabinet blocking the bathroom exit

cd7733
3 years ago

[TLDR: A hamper cabinet door opened and blocked the entrance/exit of the bathroom and could easily trap a toddler, passed out person, or someone suffering dementia.]

My poor friend had the Monday-est Monday ever this week: Somehow, her momma-cat managed to semi-close the bathroom door, and in her mad dash to escape, the cat knocked open the laundry hamper cabinet door COMPLETLING TRAPPING her inside!!

There was no way to open the bathroom door since the cabinet door was open under the door knob, and the knob screws were on the inside, along with the door pin hinges. My friend's husband had to use a crowbar and knock off the cabinet door. The bathroom door would only open enough wide enough to get your fingers in.

(Trying to remove door handle)

(Aftermath of crowbar)

In this case it was trapped cat. My mind went to worst case scenarios: a toddler messing with cabinets, someone passed out when putting close in the hamper cabinet or someone suffering dementia opens it up and doesn't realize to close it in order to use the door. So, the same reasoning of why shower doors swing out and not in, and why toilet rooms should do the same.

So, moral of the story: when designing or remodeling, don't put a laundry cabinet near the bathroom door. Or if you do, install the door knob with screws facing outward! If they'd been able to take off the handle, there would've been enough room to get an arm in and close the door.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor