SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaunaanderson

Using old sod strips to create a berm, but want to kill the grass

shaunaanderson
3 years ago

Hello! I would love some advice on how to best tackle a specific project. For reference, I live in SW Wisconsin.

I am planning to rent a sod cutter next weekend to remove sod along my sidewalks and to cut a new pathway from the front steps to the driveway. In those areas, I am planting perennials. I'm going to end up with lots of unneeded strips of sod, so I've decided to build up a berm in the center of the lawn with this excess sod. However, my plan is to plant perennials on the berm, so I want to kill the grass.

So far, my plan is to lay the strips of sod upside down and perhaps layer in newspaper between the layers of sod. Once the berm is complete, I plan to layer a bunch of newspaper on top and then spread mulch generously. I assume I'll need to wait until next season before I can plant perennials in this soil, as the grass will not be completely dead.

My goal has always been to reduce the amount of grass in our yard, and the front yard is very shady anyway, so the grass never thrives (yes, we've even tried shade grass seed). And yet, grass is such a survival-oriented thing, so even if it does poorly, it is hard to kill. I don't want to use chemicals, so is my plan above going to be effective in killing the grass in the berm? Any additional suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)