SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Can I plant this willow in a berm???

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

We just cut some rotted maples out of a very swampy area of our yard. We are planning to plant a weeping willow tree there to try to absorb some of the water (and because it'll look so pretty! Don't worry: no septic lines or buildings nearby...)

This area is lower than the rest of the lawn; our whole property slopes gently downhill. We've been slowly trying to "fill" this section over the past couple of years by dumping brush, leaves, and garden refuse there. Ideally we'd like to raise the grade about 12" and seed it with grass so the lawn continues down there. However, we can't afford the $$ for the loam right now. I'd like to plant the willow, though, so it can get started growing. I wonder if you think this plan will work:

---Get a pickup truck load (couple of yards?) of loam or compost and create a mound where I want the willow to be. Dig as far down into the mucky fill as I can (probably only about 4" due to the un-rotted sticks under there...) and plant the willow in the mound of loam. Continue to fill around it as we are able, eventually topping with loam and grass......

I wouldn't try this on a flat, dry lawn, since I know the willow needs a lot of water. But do you think it will be OK since it's so mucky and moist just below the surface in that spot? I imagine my mound would be about 14" high in the middle and taper off, with 2 yards... what do you think?

Also, would you use regular pit loam (which will likely be fairly sandy and lacking in organic matter) or well-aged cow manure compost (I have access to some lovely stuff that's several years old.) The ground there now, as noted, is currently composed of rotting leaves, sticks, etc... so eventually there'll be a nice rich base layer.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County