SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buttoni_8b

Loquat Tree may have died

buttoni_8b
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a huge 20-25' loquat tree with 8" trunk that I thought might have survived the Snowpocalypse. Not so sure now. It sits on the street-exposed side of a designed bed on our lot at the street intersection. All leaves are totally crisp/browned over. As of last week, when I scratched the skin/bark on the branches, it was still green underneath, so I was hopeful it might yet push off it's dead leaves and force some new leaf shoots. But today, every branch I scratched revealed dark or light brown, dried out inner material.........no green inside. I'm just gob-smacked such a large, established tree would die, when the teeny, tiny Japanese Maple in a large pot right underneath it (with only 1/4" main trunk came through the freeze unscathed and is covered with fresh, new red leaves.

Just not sure why MY yard took such a freeze hit, as none of my neighbors down the street seem to have lost as many plants as I did. Maybe a street intersection isn't such a good thing in a freeze? Odd thing is the guy living on the opposite street corner didn't lose much at all out front. Said today he only lost his Cast Iron Plant leaves in his back yard. My husband and I spent the last 2 days shearing off our 5 clumps of Cast Iron Plants and bagging up the 10 bags of leaves.

But I'm encouraged, my two Texas Mountain Laurels are both shooting out new leaves (they looked dreadfaul last month) and my Giant Liriopes (after a hefty trim) are sending out new shoots. Even my five 7' Ligustrum vulgare in the same bed as my Loquat have signs of green underneath the skin/bark, though they have not sent out a single new leaf shoot as yet. Lost all the foliage on my Heavenly Bamboo Nandina but they are already re-leafing. So I guess I shouldn't be so upset I'm losing my Loquat tree.

Comments (26)